Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Receipt tracker for medical expenses

• 04-01-2023 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all, this may seem a silly question, but I have never used the online receipts function. I keep mine on file for years I'm case I ever need them in the future

This year I was trying to be organised and scanned up all receipts for GPs consultants and prescriptions in 3 pdf files, myself, husband and son in preparation to upload as I was selected for audit last year and not having them scanned in held up my refund.

However when doing my eldest sons return last night I noticed that the tracker asks for date and amount of each receipt. So does this mean I need to scan each receipt again separately and save as separate files? There's about 60 receipts so this will take ages!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Xander10

I think someone posted elsewhere that you have the option to post copies on to revenue's O'Connell Street office and get them to scan them

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Desertmoon1

Ok so I went online and it says the max number of files that can be uploaded is 3 !?! So I have loads of receipts for GPs and consultants, receipts for oil and electricity bills for working from home .

I really don't get this. How can they limit number of files to 3 but expect you to upload each receipt and have it dated separately??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I don’t understand the problem?

Keep your three PDF’s of receipts and send only if asked by revenue to submit evidence in support of your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Thats not the case. I’ve scanned at least 30 receipts yesterday from last year. You scan the receipt, save it and resize it. Calll it receipt 1. Same for next one receipt 2 etc. you have your my account on ROS open and you transfer it to that. You have no limit on the receipts you upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Desertmoon1

Thanks all, the website explains it very badly. U can only upload 3 at a time! Then u can go in and upload more.

I know I don't HAVE to, but after last years fiasco waiting 6 weeks for my refund due to spot check I am making sure this year there is no excuse for a delay. All done now! 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

You could simply have uploaded the three PDF’s as an attachment in MyEnquires if they were sought. A revenue case worker may still conduct a desk audit and seek further information from you even in the presence of the receipts. The e-worker claims may prompt a request for supporting evidence from your employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Xander10

For clarification, can you still:

1. Claim the amount of the total health expenses without submitting the receipts initially? And;

2. Submit receipts later if requested by revenue for verification?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Yes, if you want to claim mid year I think you need to upload receipts, but if you wait til doing the return you can just fill in the totals. This year I kept a spreadsheet to track my insurance refunds and just entered that total spend, amount per insurance, and remainder from that into my return. If they want a spot check I'll scan them all as one doc with a copy of the spreadsheet on front!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I upload them throughout the year as and when I get the receipt. Take a photo of it and upload it on my phone. Leave it build up and then claim in January.

I hope there isn't a huge delay again this year with the statement of liability. I submitted mine on the 1st, I haven't had any correspondence back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Can I claim for paying my mother's consultant fees? So the receipt would have her name on it, but I'm the one providing the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭mct1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Yes

You're allowed to claim for any expenses you pay on behalf of anyone else

What Revenue will accept as proof of you paying should a check be done is a question I don't have the answer to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭nhg

The receipt will need to be in your name with your mother mentioned as the person receiving the treatment.

I’m sure the consultant will re-issue a receipt in your name, you won’t be the 1st requesting this…..

But it's mostly paid using her own debit card (or cash - several private consultants still only accepting cash!) so not sure that would be possible. Also going back over the past 4 years would be a lot to ask.

But I put the money in her account to fund it.

Perhaps going forward we could ask for receipts like that. But if this is the requirement then I'll have to forgo claiming the receipts I currently have for her totalling around €5000.

Is this information on what is required on the receipt to claim for someone else detailed anywhere?

As you said above ‘you put the money into her account to fund it’. You didn’t pay the health expenses directly to the consultant.

Going forward you can request a receipt in your name for what you pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭gipi

I was confused by this too - you can only upload max 3 files for a specific date.

There's also a size limit on uploaded files.

I had scanned my receipts for the year into 2 files, had to resize them before uploading. I didn't upload individual receipts as individual files unless I had received them by email (my GP issues receipts by email). I got my refund for 2022 this week from revenue.

How could I pay the consultant directly? - only the patient can attend the appointment so I cannot be there to use my card, or to request the receipt. But if I didn't transfer the money then she could not go to the appointment! She lives entirely off the state pension.

Can you not ring the consultants secretary and pay by card over the phone

I have often rang the Dr’s surgery and paid for my sons consultancy by card over the phone & the receipt would be made out to me with my sons name mentioned as the one receiving the treatment.

On another similar topic, I cannot claim remote working relief on our electricity bill as the bill is in my spouse’s name even though the bill is paid out of our joint account, I’m the only one remote working. I have had to have my name added to his on the bill to be able to claim going forward. The electricity company advised just to add my name instead of Chang the account into my name otherwise we would lose our current 18% discount, need to check that this is acceptable as all receipts/invoices for remote working have to be submitted from 2022 onwards….

Advertisement