Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭electricus

The ID.7 will look better without the mad paint job. It’s also nice to see a non suv or ‘crossover’ style EV release for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Initial thoughts? It looks like VW is sticking to a similar concept as the ID3 and ID4. The bigger infotainment screen is a bonus. I don't see them adding physical buttons around the car. I think this is something that annoys car journalists more than actual owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,664 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

The lack of physical buttons on my ID3 annoys me massively, I don't think it's just a journalist thing. It's genuinely one of the reasons I'm considering changing at the end of my PCP contract next year. It probably wouldn't be as much of a problem if the touch screen was more responsive and less of a pain to use mind you, which I would hope it will be on newer models higher up the range.

Waiting 5 seconds to confirm that my seat heating has actually turned on because there's no instant feedback, while knowing if I drop into reverse to get out of my driveway the camera will take me off that screen and it'll take another 30 seconds to get back in and sort it, is a small but significant annoyance every single day that I never had to deal with in my previous car when I just pressed a physical button and I knew it was pressed because I pressed it. And it's worse if you decide you want to change anything while driving with the amount of time you need to take your eyes off the road to do it.

Do you have an early model ID3? I think a lot of the glitches were worked out towards the end of 2021. Do you keep on top of the software updates? My 221 Id4 has been absolutely fine but I know early adopters experienced a lot of problems. The lack of physical buttons is a thing now. Most cars will move to this format over the next few years. I think VW just needs to make the screen bigger for people who don't like the buttons being gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Two finger tap on the heat slider will turn on your heated seats without going into any menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Physical buttons are coming back on the next generation of vehicles, so possibly the MEB+ cars

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah I have a first edition, maybe it's better on newer cars.

I presumed with initial spy shots of the new Tiguan 2024 interior the screen would just get bigger. The lack of buttons or haptic doesn't really bother me. The sliders are pointless and maybe the window controls could do with a rethink.

I actually like the haptic buttons on the steering wheel and I wish they'd keep them

The sliders are pretty useless though. I'm glad I've got the Travel Assist since I don't keep to worry about ending up in a ditch while messing with the climate controls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Mr Q

But how often do you actually change the climate settings? Mine is set to 18 degrees, I might change it if it gets warm this summer.

But you can easily press them without back lighting, the volume one must be nearly 100mm wide. Once you have the car a while you know where they are without lighting I find and can touch the right part easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

18 is cold, 21 for me and 23 for the passenger.

i think most people who whinge miss the big “clim” button that takes them straight to climate control

I do tend to use the heated seats and steering wheel, and pressing both hot and cold sliders controls that reasonably well.

Something with a bit of feedback would be good though so I can do it by feel without gawking at the screen

Anyone having an issue where the screen layout just resets itself to default? Mine has done it twice, seems to happen if it gets stuck on the charging screen while starting up or something

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Edgardo.

Bjøtn drives the ID7. Newbie so cant post link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

I went over to Spain to have a look as did a few of the other Irish lads.

The estate version may be the game changer. Wonder when that will follow the hatchback sedan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It sounds like VW is having another crack at relaunching the Phaeton going by your superb and audi references, can VW break into luxury cars though?

I wonder how much for the ID.7 Pro S 700km version, it'll probably start getting close to an EQE in price i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Any estimate on pricing ?

Probably too much of an ask for them to do the estate in brown. Only other contenders is the Porsche GTS and cross or the discontinued maple brown of the V90 phev.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’d just be happy with an estate. Couldn’t care less what colour it is. I suspect this is going to be too pricey for us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

Not a hint on price given at all. I can’t see it being under the grant anyway. Larger battery version in a pro could be a tricky sell here I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

I was assuming that it would have the exact same motors VW has been using in just about every ID car. Surprised to see that new rear motor, 282bhp is plenty of shove even for a car that size.

The new battery is interesting as well, not maxing out what the platform can theoretically take (with VWs current pack design), so I assume it's more physical/weight constraints in the car itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I watched that. Looks like it’ll be a great choice if the price is right. There’s going to be an estate too apparently.

how come you couldn’t show anything of the car whereas Thomas in autogefuehl showed everything? German bias?!

Apart from Audi, are sedans really that popular anymore? Look at i4 sales. If the price is right I'm sure Passat buyers will get one of these but it might be too expensive as a company car lease. Maybe I'm not the right customer but I don't get the appeal of this or the IDBuzz. I'm really surprised VW didn't focus on launching the ID6 in Europe as a Toureg replacement to compete in the large SUEV space. That said, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

We all know VW only knows how to do Black, white, silver, dull blue, and dull grey. I've seen a few interesting coloured Tiguans around recently but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I suspect price will be the problem, ID.5 sales have been crippled by missing the €5K grant and even recent ID.4 sales are very limited to Life/Life DX models at the moment. An ID.7 with a bit of spec on it could be serious money. Tesla price cuts won’t help either but they don’t really have a direct competitor for the ID.7.

Yes, you are right. Any ID4 I've seen with a 231 plate is a very basic model. It's too expensive to buy one with a bit of spec on it now. It really puts me off going for another ID4 in the future. I couldn't justify spending an extra 8-10k to get the same car next time around with no grant. The only person I know with an ID5 won the lotto so there you go. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't think you can look at current car sales and draw any conclusion. I enquired about an i4 done the test drive, trade in value etc, only problem was you couldn't get one the allocation for the year was gone. If all cars were free flow the sales data might look a lot different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭creedp

That gap will close post July as grant is reduced by €1,500 and it won't be long before the grant will be gone and the distraction of the grant threshold will be no more

Advertisement