Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduction to IPTV?

Options
  • 04-01-2023 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I wish to stream Satellite (Astra or Freesat) And maybe Saorview around my house. Not looking for anything dodgy. Nothing outside my house. No encrypted channels or anything. I just don't want to chase a satellite cable to kitchen and spare bedroom.

I will have TVs or dongles that can run Kodi or Plex for plugins or other apps. Would like HD but don't need to pause or record (Although that would be nice option). Would like to be able to arrange channels (Favourites etc).

• Will any Enigma 2 box do as a "server"?
    • Does anyone have a recommendation?
    • Is it a matter of downloading the image to the Enigma box and configuring and then pointing a plugin/Kodi/Plex/whatever to the Enigma box IP?
    • Anyone have an app recommendation?

There is a LOT of information out there but everyone seems to be hawking their own method.

Again, I am not looking to use an illegal dodgybox service. I simply want to stream what I get around the house. However if this is against the forum rules then please feel free to close.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

I built a pi4 running raspbian, installed TVHeadend server and added 2 usb dongles, one for DVB-T and one for DVB-S. Connected up the dish and a saorview antenna, scanned for channels. Then you can use your browser or any IPTV type client to play the channels back, even VLC !. Pretty sure there is tvheadend plugin for Kodi too and Plex or Jellyfin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Cheers. I think I have a pi3B floating about somewhere doing nothing. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭userfriendly

I've that setup in my house, I've a cheap 2nd hand enigma2 combo box in the attic and it streams the channels fire sticks that have the Dream Player app installed. I put an old USB stick in it so I can pause and record but the pausing isn't great and would probably work better with a SSD drive installed internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Hi, i recently did something similar. I bought an Enigma2 box called "Edision™ OS NINO PRO S2X + T2/C" from a Irish retailer (see first result on google.ie).

The interface is a little clunky, but you only need that for the initial setup. Once it's configured you can stream to any suitable app on your LAN/Wifi. It works fine for HD channels and EPG all works well. Recording works too.

I've used the Enigma2 plugin on Kodi and also the "Dream Player IPTV" on "Chromecast with Android TV". Also the "Dream EPG Premium" on Android works really well on my phone. I was even able to stream my channels when i was abroad.

You'll need a solid LAN/Wifi connection for the streaming to work reliably though.

Note that this box only has a single Sat tuner so can't record and watch at the same time.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info.

Thanks folks. Very helpful. I don't care about 15 satellite inputs and recording a bajillion channels in parallel or even anything dodgy. I just have a spare bedroom (And a future attic conversion) and a small kitchen TV and want to watch TV on them occasionally (Regularly enough to want it but not regular enough to start punching more holes in walls).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭userfriendly

Channel organisation is very handy using webif, after you've scanned for channels just login to the box from your browser using its IP address and drag and drop channels and sort them into bouquets (favourites basically).

There's actually a great selection of channels with plenty of them HD.

I watch it on my android phone sometimes too (though it is another charge for the non TV app). We have a small TV in the kitchen too and now watch live TV way more than when we had Sky which was only viewable in the sitting room and no monthly charge is great

Big thanks to @Paulj for helping me out. Was quite straightforward with his suggestion. Now have chromecast on kitchen and spare room and working great

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

This thread got me thinking! I have an old Amiko Alien 2+ Triple Tuner box lying around that hasn't been use in many years. Could this be used to do what is discussed here, i.e. to stream channels over my network like IPTV ? If so whats the best way to go about it ? TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

Six months later...

I had an Alien 2 as well. Put OpenATV on it then installed Sat>IP from the OpenATV feeds. Now channels can be sent over IP to a tvheadend server and viewed from clients around the house such as Kodi connected via wifi or homeplugs.

It's a lot of moving parts and not easy to set up but if you have some time to kill why not !

My Alien2 recently died sadly. Can do the same thing with any of those enigma2 boxes.

Flex

Advertisement