Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being more efficient & productive

• 01-01-2023 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

In 2023 I want to become more efficient and productive in work, I use outlook and email an awful lot and want to maximise them, and start using one note, to do lists etc. I really want to get away from having a note book full of lists!

Does any one have any any recommendations on you tube or the like that would be a good starting point

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 irishguy1012

HTH,

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

This highly depend on your personality. There're a few methods: taking notes on a paper or electronic diary; scheduling and rescheduling the daily tasks (prioritising); flagging emails. For routine tasks simply create repetitive slots on the calendar. Leave gaps for once off tasks. Make a weekly and monthly tasks' lists and mark off each time it's done. In excel I simply write myself Done in the column for each month for monthly tasks, and for weekly, I have a separate sheet in the same file, but with week number. If some tasks are done by a few people, upload file in the cloud.

Some people like once off sticky notes, but I don't, so I work off the paper diary (I only use this for once off tasks) + marking off on the xslx file (this is for recurrent tasks).

When I complete the task from the paper diary, I tick beside it. When only 1-2 tasks in that page are not completed, but many many other's are, and it's hard to see in a split second of what's still not done, I circle pending tasks. When all tasks from the page are done, I then cross the whole page so I know that everything off that page is done (this is because I sometime leave some tasks for another day, but I don't rewrite them to another page - thus is due to reprioritising of the tasks).

Microsoft To do is great for tasks/To do lists. Very simple to use also.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jackiebt

I clear my Outlook inbox out one by one. I open an email, deal with it if I can, and move it to a folder called "Completed". When Im done I prioritise what's left and get to work. Just for reference, I can get up to or over 100 emails a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Efficiency is a huge problem in office type of work. I often find people coming for a chat at the desks, chatting too loud around others, etc. This is distracting. Within years my colleagues learned that if I don't turn my head towards them when they approach, or don't say Hi back to them - this means my mind is currently very busy, and interrupting would cost me extra 5-10 min to get my focus back.

You need to be extremely mindful about your timing and focus. Discipline and routine are the most important. However, a lot of my advices depend on the nature of your work, and your weaknesses.

It is recommended to reward yourself every few hours, once the task, its section, or a collection of tasks are done. A reward can be a chat, if others are available, a toilet break, or a cup of coffee, or a quick walk outside the building, or simply get a fresh air for a minute. This break shouldn't last longer than 10 min.

• Advertisement
Advertisement