Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Golfing Goals

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My goal this year was to continute my drop in handicap - got down to 16.1 last year and broke 90 a few times with a recent best of 84 so I headed into 2023 with great hope.

Crikey was it short lived.

My golf swing went horribly wrong at the start of this year, so bad I wanted to genuinely give up, I actually hated being on the golf course half way through some of my rounds - my sub 90 scores were replaced with ones over 100 and some even over 110. My lovely long draw with driver were replaced with a shocking bad hook, I got a does of the sh&*K$ with all my irons, from 6 to LW, every single one of them. Got a lesson and it didn't work so I took a break and after a while I went to a different pro. Started to see some improvements especially with my driver and got back to 16 again and then they came back. Absolute soul destroying standing over a shot and not noing if it is goning to go where you want or 45 degerees right into trouble. I've lost more golf balls this year than in the last 15 years combined i reckon - even all my practice balls are lost at this stage.

I haven't even held a club in 10 days and probably won't until next week - some preparation for playing BGS Captains day in Killarney, I've just lost all interest. I'd rather go for a spin on my motorbike than play golf right now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The "rhymes with tanks" are soul destroying alright. Problem is that they're not just a one shot impact. You hit the first one, then spend the subsequent shots worried you're going to do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I used to get them bad for about 3 months at a time. Obviously there’s a root problem that needs to be seen to off the course , but I found I could put in a score (high 80’s) with them. Everything was aimed off the toe. Address the ball with the toe and try to hit it off the grooves toe side. Some days I’d have to try to scrape the inside of the ball with the tip of the club. It’s not enjoyable but can stop you from walking off. Most people I see that catch a case of them just refuse to aim at the toe(not saying this is you ) and keep aiming center face and hitting it 90°

As for the slump, they happen. But you know you have the better scores in you and it will come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I scrolled through to see what I was thinking at the start of the year and I'm surprised to see I didn't post anything. Sure I'll do them now.

• Increase handicap by a shot
    • Only play 1 new course this year
    • I was disappointed to only get to 3 boards outings last year. I'll aim to be similarly disappointed this year.
    • Work on my driving to narrow the dispersion. Then not play, forget all I've done and revert to dirty slices
    • Schedule my rounds only for monsoon weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Since my golf is pretty much done for the year, figured i'd update this. Was always going to be difficult hitting many of my goals once i didn't renew my membership, but did ok overall. Highlight of the year was definitely the clean sweep in the Jug. Can't really beat that.

• Get down to single digits this year. Currently 12.5, but i can definitely see the path to single digits.
      • Not even close. Ended up not renewing my membership in RoK, so wasn't able to do anything with my HC. I did start playing well towards the end of the year, and think i may have gotten cut a bit, but not enough to get single digits.
    • Win at least once in my club competitions this year, and play some matchplay rounds.
      • Nope, mainly due to not being a member, as i think i may have been playing well enough towards the end of the year to compete in our club comps.
    • Win a boards event, and make it onto the Jug team.
      • Didn't win a boards event (3rd was my best finish i think), but did get onto the Jug which was the main goal. Plus, we **** smashed them 😁
    • Compete for the trophy in our annual Enniscrone trip. Missed it the last two years (baby and then Covid), so can't wait to go this year.
      • I came last...absolute disaster.
    • Play Tralee, Ballybunion and at least one other top tier course.
      • Nope
    • Stop constantly losing balls on my home course. Think i've only ever gone 1 round without losing a ball.
      • Goal technically achieved...because i didn't have a home course 😑
    • Not so much a goal, but something i'd like to do if i can afford it is to fix the gaps in my bag (Driver, 3w and then 4i currently), replace my putter, regrip my driver and 3w, and if i can afford it, replace my irons. Will see how 2023 goes though.
      • Replaced my irons, and regripped all my clubs, but still have a big gap between the 3w and 4i.

Live back in civilization again, so looking forward to getting more regular golf and actually improving this year coming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Good idea to update this. So:

1. Play more golf. Despite a season-wrecking shoulder injury (March to July out with frozen shoulder), I got to play a lot from August on. Starting with the boards outing to Bunclody, and finishing with a number of rounds in my home place (Lisheen Springs). My brother getting into golf has greatly assisted on the playing-alone issue. Goal achieved.
    2. Get a handicap, use the club membership. I finally got my 3 rounds in in mid-October, and was given a fair 24.9 HI. I've played a couple of competitions since, all non-counting so can't start accumulating my 20 scores until next year. Still, I got it, and I'm using the membership as much as I can. Goal achieved.
    3. Get lessons. This didn't happen, due to the above injury. Lessons are badly needed, and will be on the list for early in 2024. Goal missed.
    4. Practice what I learnt. Didn't happen, roll over to 2024. Goal missed.
    5. Try not to be such an equipment junkie. I sort of managed this - I got a new (to me) driver, a new (to me) fairway wood and a new putter. Considering I need a new set of clubs, that was restrained. Goal partially achieved.
    6. Play some of the Boards events. I managed to play one, in Bunclody, and had a blast. I won the "Most Golf" prize, which is a very kind term for coming dead last, but winning was never a priority (or even a possibility, TBH). These events will be going on the calendar straight away in 2024. Goal achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Help deliver another successful year for the society.

The consensus seems to be good here. I certainly have plenty of happy memories of the year.

• Make the jug team through good consistent play.

I absolutely made the society jug team this year. (That I needed a captains pick to make the team, or that I was the captain who actually made that pick are inconsequential!)

• Win back the jug for the boards side.

The jug sits on my mantlepiece at home!

• Side quest - shoot level par round.

No. But, our course changes to 9hole for winter, and a recent round went as follows. A birdy putt on the last lipped out which would have made it a level par 9hole round.

A good year in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

My goals were definitely a bit too adventurous for the year I had. I really just wasn't playing as much as I needed to this year and prioritised training for a marathon over my golf.

• Lowest I got to was 11.5 but back out to 13.1 so essentially back to where I started from. I'm very confident though that I have the ability to be a single digit handicaper. With my running sidelined at the moment I'm going to be putting in some good hours in the offseason to try make some big improvements.
    • I was never close to winning a Medal but I think I only got to play 2 of them due to other commitments and bad timing.
    • Again not ever really close. Just not playing enough golf when these came up.
    • Very average performance on the first day and couldn't make it to the second day.
    • This I actually did do and represented the club in the Pierce Purcell and Central Towns. Won the first two rounds in the Pierce Purcell and gave a very good account of myself I think. Called in on the 18th in the Central Towns having lost the tie with other matches. I didn't play very well in this, in particular the front 9 but battled very well to bring it to the 18th so again happy with my performance.

Outside of this, it was my first year with the Boards Society and I think I only missed one outing. Had a fantastic time meeting and playing with everyone. Unfortunately finished just outside the top 10 and but a 2nd place finished on the Captains Day to finish it off nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Really Bad year for me in general & golf wise although timing and weather didnt help matters.

1. Think I only got 3 with a new Pro which is good and have worked out well! - Semi hit
    2. Nope. Think I came 3rd in category best I have done.
    3. Nope didnt even make team. Thats 2 years in a row but I am getting better at match play.
    4. Nope. but the amount of times I hit 90 was criminal
    5. Started back last month. So I'm taking this as achieved.

Highlight of year was getting to the matchplay final with a few of the lads. I had final in Portrush on our annual golf trip having played great the day before in strong conditions only to play terrible in the final in great conditions! I think I but to much pressure on myself thus is golf! Mental side is seriously been working on next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Year went pretty much according to plan without having specific goals.

HI went from 13.5 out to 14 but I'm scoring consistently close to my handicap now. The fluctuations are much less than they used to be so most rounds are really enjoyable.

Was runner-up in a medal but no other wins.

Played on 2 inter-club teams. Really enjoyed this.

Portugal trip went well but the standard of the courses we played in October was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

1. First half of the year was great for practice. If not every week, definitely 2x on some occasions. The rest of the year almost none.
    2. Dropped to 10.4 on the back of a hot start and lots of practice. Drifted to 11.4 in the end.
    3. Shot 80 on holidays in Spain in March, had a birdie putt on 18 for 79.
    4. Close to yes for the first half of the year, the rest was poor. I didn't break 90 from June to October I think.
    5. I think 3x birdies was the most which I'm happy enough with.
    6. No eagle putts but I did have a HIO on the Spain trip so that's good enough for me.
    7. Nope but I made a couple of new holes on the list this year, I have only index 1 & 2 left.
    8. Could not rid the double bogeys from a single card.
    9. Stand bag on hiatus other than a quick 9. Mild meniscus tear in October means no stand bag for the foreseeable.
    10. No chance given practice levels but I've been in the gym pretty solid for the last 3x months. Might transfer to CHS next year with some speed training.
    11. Managed to get 2x links courses in (Rosses Point and Arklow). Maybe another before the new year?
    12. Yes, had a great first trip abroad to Cadiz (Novo Sancti Petri).
    13. Didn't get close this year, kept banging 35/36 points consistently at the start of the year to drop the hc. Drifted badly since.
    14. During my good run I got to the final group of a major with 2 shots off the leader in R1. Had a poor day for R2 and missed my chance, finished well off the pace in the end.
    15. Got onto two teams. Really enjoyed it. Foursomes for Barton Cup and singles (forget the name, Tullamore's hosted comp).
    16. 100% success.
    17. First have of the year yes but didn't get another coach.
    18. Nope.
    19. Unsure but probably not tbh, lack of practice and lessons in the second half of the year.

A tale of two halves. Super busy with work and life stuff since the summer. Scoring was very poor and lack of practice killed any chance of scoring. Arguably I'm a better iron player. Driving is inconsistent and short game is in rag order. Can't be too disappointed given the lack of practice.

Overall though I had loads of highlights particularly in the first half (80 for new pb, HIO, trip abroad, teams, major final group) and enjoyed myself nonetheless. Hopefully, the physio and rehab keep the knee healthy. Looking forward to 2024 and will probably scale back the practice expectations. Some big work and life projects in the pipeline have priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

1) Had a 4 over round again - but to be honest was a long way from par all year - one freak round went well , but a year of the big miss left.

2) Did stabilize my handicap - but year didn't really go to plan due to a few off course issues.

3) A disaster of a year for competitive golf - but no excuses next year.

4) Got the 3 eagles - but were not in competitive rounds.

5) Took this on in fairness and if my short game was like 3 out of 10 before - it is now about 5 - not great but going in right direction.

6) Off course issues put this one to bed - but great plans again in 2024 (lol)

7) Big step here - and realised how awful my dynamics are - definite an improvement in ball flight - if still not right.

8) if I was 1 out of 10 here before - I might be at 5 - so this is a big improvement.

9) Very very close now - a few odd ones in Donegal like Portnoo and Cruit Island - but as good as done - was a blast. In a sad way , I think I need a new project as I'm not a big fan of repeat experiences.

10) Hit wales and was a blast - but it did remind me how amazing Ireland is - I know England is my big gap now - a world of golf and even a style of golf in England I know very little about.

So - 2023 had lots of good things - lots of things I set out to do and did. But sometimes life takes over and the goals are out the window. Maybe not being so goal orientated (as i tend to be) has merits too - and maybe that was a learning experience from last year. The experience itself should be the goal at times. Not the pure goal. Due to contacts on here and in the industry - I get to have amazing golf experiences - and being present and grateful of that experience, will be near my top for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Hit 4. last weekend with an 85 strokes 39pts. haven't not played in 3 weeks due to course been closed was shocked but great feeling and won competition too 😁 first win of the year. Been listening to some pod casts with Fred Shoemaker on the mental side definitely payed off and something I seriously going to work on next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Didn't get fitter and stronger. Got diagnosed with Frozen Shoulder in March which put paid to any real strength work. Over the worst of it, but still requires some maintenance
    • Got 1 lesson in early in the year and another one in about 3 weeks ago
    • Got as low as 5.8, so missed the 5.4, but was still an all-time low for me. Finished the year back up at 6.7
    • No boards outing wins, but made the jug team
    • Got a few new courses in too over the year (RCD probably the highlight of new courses to me)
    • Didn't manage any trips abroad for golf
    • Got plenty of golf in with family and friends over the year, so overall a successful one!

Looking forward to getting some goals set and kicking on in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Ugh...

1. Break 90 for let’s say 20%+ of rounds (this will need lessons and practice, only managed it once in 2022 but damn close so often)
      1. Nope, not even close. About 3 times in the year (playing at least 1/week)
    2. Get HCI to <18 (currently 20)
      1. Nope. But got to 19 so at least an improvement (did get to 18.4, back end of season was really poor). Am struggling with new HC, had a 24 HCI in 2021/start 2022...
    3. Win a society and a club comp
      1. Not even close
    4. Win the annual end of year round with 3 buddies and bring the cup back home
      1. Blew it on the 17th and 18th
    5. Play at least one of Tralee/Ballb/Old Head
      1. Nope

But...my 19yr old son has started playing, enjoy getting out and having a chat (and watching his wild 270yrd drives) and makes it easier at home to get out) so happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

I didnt make plans for this year and dont intend to make any for next year except my usual 1 that I often remind myself of which is....

The graveyards are full of people who would love to be playing so give every shot and every round 100 percent..if it works out fine..if not I am still blessed to be playing so enjoy each and every experience..the good and the bad.Trust yourself and trust your practice.

Generally works out okay I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Only played 19 counting rounds in the end. However, I'm finishing the year on 4.7!!!

Highlight of the year was undoubtedly winning the clubs Scratch Matchplay. 🏆

Advertisement