Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On your marks...Set. (General chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Post edited by Lumen on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Sleep ins have become a thing of the past since I started running in the morning. I don't even need to set an alarm anymore, I'm just awake at 5:30 no matter what time I actually need to get up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Haha, I know exactly how you feel. I do be up full of beans at that time but by midday I've crashed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not running specific. The Canadians went the prescription for nature route, or PaRx.

Let's throw being a well-rounded athlete into the getting better goal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭event

Yes agreed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good news from Mullingar Harriers, a 6 lane track. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=702938355194368&set=a.458975432923996

And also Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

I see Allie Ostrander is just back from a ban for using an acne cream which contains a banned masking agent spironolactone.

I was totally surprised that Allie wouldn't have been meticulous in checking out the ingredients of a cream she bought over the internet

particularly since she is so careful about what she eats and how she cooks it etc.

Obviously it was a quite a minor offence since it was only a 4 month ban but wondering if this cream could mask something

or is the penalty just a formality because its on the banned list?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Did anyone here apply for Boston? It was the highest ever number of applicants and seems that the time needed will be around 5 minutes faster than the qualifying times.

Unfortunately, for me that will see me lose out due to only being 3 minutes faster.

You'd imagine if this continues they'd have to look at the races that they allow be used for qualifying times such as the Reval series which sees an average elevation loss of 5,000 ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Read online that it could be up to 8 mins cutoff.

When is that info released?

Ya, that is what the article I was reading suggested it would be as well.

They've no set date but it was the 21st of September last year, it was obviously much simpler as everyone was accepted.

• Advertisement

They've announced now that it will be early October before they announce the entry times.

On a separate note if anyone is looking for an entry to the Amsterdam Marathon or half marathon (god loves an optimist) let me know.

Speaking of Boston, not often you hear of the 1911 winner (and several more) and later Olympian, Clarence DeMar. Some great photos too.

I see Dafne Shippers has retired. I was thinking I hadnt seen her on the scene for a good while now but I remember she had ongoing injuries

for a good while. It must have got too much as shes only 31.

Anyway good luck to her, I really enjoyed watching her running especially in her peak in the mid 2010's.

They just announced the requirement was 5:29 faster than qualifying standard.

Ah well, wasn't to be for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Just popped up in my twitter feed today. I know it's a big thing when injured, sick etc. Detraining and how long until it starts effecting your underlying performance levels Aerobic capacity, VO2 max and running efficiency (energy cost for locomotion).

It seems to be it's as quick as has been suggested on here by multiple posters over the years.

I've attached the paper he's referencing for any nerds.

Less Nerdy - the summary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Strange. My post above had to be approved before it was added to the thread. Was that due to the attachment?

Was just watching 'Ben is Running' winning a half marathon...by accident?

I like his content to a degree since its usually factual and he doesnt go mad marketing stuff but I find him somewhat contrived at times.

Do you really go to the trouble of going all the way to Macedonia to pace someone you only met a few weeks previous?

One thing about Ben is that he is meticulous about his race prep and scoping out the course and competition.

I reckon he knew he'd win this and went over to race it.

The guy he was pacing said he got a sore leg, obviously Ben knew he was the better runner if he was supposedly pacing the guy.

Congrats to him and everything but call a spade a spade.

Thoughts on race entry costs?

So I am signed up to do the Carlingford Half Marathon. Send up when they opened it, think it was around €30. My sister in law wants to do the 10k, on the same day.

So she went to enter. The "early bird" are gone. The "regular entry" are gone. All that's left are "late entry". Bear in mind it's not for another 3 months.

It's €50 plus €3.99 admin. €54 for a 10k that you only get a medal for, not even a tshirt. I know they give a lot to charity, it's a great cause. But my god that seems madness

The Bowden extended universe includes Ciara Mageean.

• Advertisement

I found this Ultra runner recently. Shes a mother of two and in her 40's and shes training as well as she has ever trained in her life. She started pro running later in life. I usually fast forward her podcasts about 10 mins as she usually advertises at the start and if she has a guest they usually stroke each others egos for a while. She does have some good tips though and she is motivating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I think some races have crazy entry costs, there was a 5&10k on in Dublin city in November which was over €40, hard to justify €40 for a 5k when parkruns are free, even with a medal & shirt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is that the Run in the Dark you are talking about? I done it and even if it was half the price it was pretty rubbish. There was way too many people so it was really congested for big chunks of the race. The 10k race was just 2 loops of the 5k route so you ended up running in to crowds of 5k walkers at points. I heard from friends who watched it that this was really noticeable for the really fast 10k runners.

I only started doing races this year and while I love the atmosphere and craic of a race, I don't think I will bother doing them apart from halfs and marathons. They are just poor value and way too congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

No, it was a race organised by the Inner City Run Club.

I havent done the run in the dark since 2019 and wouldnt do it again for those reason, the course is too tight for the numbers you get and then you hit the 5k walkers who are chatting and walking 5-6 abreast.

Its a good cause but definitely not a race to set any expectations for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭4Ad

Ciara Mageean just gave an interview on Newstalks Off The Ball. It was worth hearing her talk about mental side of training and racing..She really does set very high standards for herself (and delivers)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

One thing I don’t like about Ben is running is when he’s reviewing shoes is he giving an unbiased opinion as more than likely he’s get them free so does he cut off the hand that feeds him by giving an opinion on them. I don’t watch all his videos but in his best shoes of the year he had the Nike invincible 3 and said they were improvement on the 2 when the vast majority of people believe Nike have taken great shoe and made it bad where people don’t like it.

Another trend I have noticed. "Early bird" prices. but the early bird is the same as the normal price was last year. And instead they up the price then to say all "early bird" prices are gone. I am having to commit to races in April and May in December in case the price increases. Its madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Raheny have a price increase for this January coming, but have a decent offering for finishers(new drinks cup).

Finding a large number of events at same prices as other years, but now with an "option" to get a t-shirt for a sizable enough fee(seeing as they covered them on recent years). It will reach a tipping point like around 2010.

I'm happy to get back to just paying to run and having the bib and the memories. The extras are just money spinning at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Costs go up folks, you're not being gouged.

Advertisement