Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the point in tailored suits ?

Options
  • 31-12-2022 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Unless you happen to be someone who is in between sizes or is outside the normal size range I can't see any point in tailored suits.

If you can fit into a standard suit size then buying a tailored suit seems like a complete waste of money to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Double post please delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The point is that they look nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Difference between fits well and fits better.

So do Armani suits but you don't need to buy them tailored.

I believe the cheapest tailored suits cost about a grand were as you can buy a very nice business suit for around 500 euro.

If I was a white collar professional who had to wear suits all the time I wouldn't buy a tailored suit unless I had money to burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Have you ever worn a tailored suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

A tailored suit fits you

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭GSBellew

You gave the reason in your opening comment.

There is no one size fits all solution, some people will get away with an off the shelf suit, it'll fit ok or even quite well, but there is going to be a compromise somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If I was a white collar professional who had to wear suits all the time I wouldn't buy a tailored suit unless I had money to burn.

White collar professionals who have to wear suits all the time do have money to burn, but because they have to wear suits all the time, they see the value in spending money on suits which are comfortable, as opposed to off-the-rack suits which are definitely nowhere near the same quality or comfort when they’re having to wear suits all day.

Blue collar workers who don’t have to wear suits and have money to burn are more likely to have to wear PPE gear, which if you’ve ever had to wear it is often more about safety and less about comfort, unless you’re willing to spend a lot of money on quality, comfortable PPE gear that can be worn all day.

Different strokes for different folks is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I'd recommend getting off the rack if you can. I've had a few bad experience with tailored Hugo Boss suits. Any sort of coinage in the pockets will knacker the whole suit on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Every girls crazy about a sharp dressed man.

The difference is looking fine, and looking really good. A lot of people won't fit something off the rack perfectly.

Never had a full suit tailored but trousers and shirts I've had done look way better. Same with having stuff I've bought off the rack adjusted. I thought the trick was to buy off the rack and have it adjusted, or did I hear that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

It's a bit like buying a car with extras, if you can afford it go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Designed to fit you perfectly

Just be wary of cupping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No issue here with a bit of cupping from a good looking female.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Why do blue collar workers pay a small fortune for snickers work trousers instead of buying portwest gear? Same difference.

It’s like buying a guitar. It’s new but you still need to get a professional setup to make it better

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Labelled

OP you probably would not notice, but there is a big difference.

A more cost effective alternative is

1. Find a suit that fits you really well off the rack;
    2. Then get that suit tailored to fit you; N.B. The alterations place must be good in order for this to work.

Other tips

• If there is any kind of shine off the material do not buy the suit.
    • A poorly lit shop likely has inferior quality materials which will become evident the second you take it our of the store.
    • You need the material and the fit to be right.
    • Buy on the sale. You will normally get 50% off.
    • If you will wear the suit regularly (at least once a week) buy a second pair of trousers for the suit. The trousers will wear out after a few years whilst the jacket will still be perfect. Having the second pair of trousers will ensure you can get the most of your suit.
    • Buy and maintain good shoes. I personally find Loake (only those made in England RRP approx. €250, however, you can get them for as little as €150 on sale or seconds) to be good value. Buy at least two pairs and interchange them daily to get you started. Shoes I purchased 9 years ago still look the part (after multiple resolings).

I have not purchased a suit in a number of years (due to Covid). Last time I looked I did not like Louis Copeland for price/quality and found some Magee suits to be good value. Last time I purchased a suit I paid around €400 on sale and paid another €60 for alterations. If you do it right you will be the best dressed in your office. People regularly comment on my appearance.

Post edited by Labelled on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If you need to know why a tailored suit is better looks at a grooms party in hired suits, they just don't sit quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

• Buy and maintain good shoes. I personally find Loake (only those made in England) to be good value. Buy at least two pairs and interchange them daily to get you started. Shoes I purchased 9 years ago still look the part (Buy and maintain good shoes. I personally find Loake (only those made in England) to be good value. Buy at least two pairs and interchange them daily to get you started. Shoes I purchased 9 years ago still look the part (after multiple resolings).

That sounds very much like the idea of the chap who says his shovel is as good as the day he bought it, he’s only had to replace the handle and the shovel part a couple of times 😁

I don’t think I’d ever get that long out of a pair of shoes, I’d probably be taking them in to get re-soled every couple of months. I used to go down on the outside of my shoes fairly quickly, but I’d recommend any man investing in Loakes or a nice pair of shoes like that should get orthopaedic supports if they need them, wouldn’t need to be re-soled as often.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Labelled

It works for me.

I used to wear normal mass manufactured shoes that I found looked like crap after a month.

I sought out something better and personally found that shoes constructed by hand from a manufacturer with a good reputation using actual leather are better.

Even my oldest pair look great. You must buy good quality in the first instance and then maintain at least once a month (Clean & hydrate with good quality products) See video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2ETjI2_6xQ

Trial and error has thought me that getting a good cobbler is important and most I tried are rubbish.

I use "Italian Heel Bar" off Grafton Street they are pretty good in my opinion.

You can get the choice of rubber or leather soles for most shoes.

Leather you could end up replacing them every 2 years depending on use (rain wears them down quicker), Rubber last around twice as long.

I just got married day before yesterday in a rented suit . It fit perfect because it was tailored

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Fair play, you obviously got lucky and went to a place with a good tailor. I've seen some look awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I had the last Armani suit I bought tailored, so it would look, and fit, better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

TBH, if you don't see the difference then don't bother.

The piece that doesn't show in a fitted good quality suit ( plus being well shod, good shirt and tie) is how much it does for your self-confidence. deportment and general demeanour, especially if in a work environment full of "suits".

The feel good, FU, factor is immeasurable.

Its a bit like getting the first chur isteach, you have to experience it😀

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭techman1

especially nowadays when its so rare, but remember the bushy beard also needs to go . I think clean shaven sharp suited man is now a rarity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What are you doing posting in here just after getting married.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Conor McGreogor has got loads of young lads into suits again.

Generally they look like rough out in them tough.

Advertisement