Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert results 2023 to run late

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

It would be a massively unpopular move and would likely be met with massive push back.

However, would you be surprised if they tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

True that they struggled for examiners last year but they just gave us more scripts to mark. They'll continue to do so and won't increase pay. I marked 250 LC HL scripts, which was much more than previous reasons. A big part of the delay is the resitting at the end of July. These have to be physically marked unlike most of the June ones which are marked online. With that goes the same issues, ironing out marking scheme, tweaks etc to make sure it's broadly in line with the current year.

Are they down on numbers for 2023?

I presume they put out recruitment ads.

I think if they tried they'd have egg on their face fairly quickly , especially for Norma's new term in office!

Ya sure, it'd keep the teacher bashers like salonfire happy for a few news bulletins, but it's not something you can kick down the road (like funding for SEN or primary school language posts).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Good PR decision to release this vague bit of information at a time when the schools, colleges and their respective spokespeople are on holidays and many people are not following the news, and there was me fully convinced norma foley hadn’t a single cell in her brain. How wrong was I.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

So they will make teaching an even less attractive profession, at a time where there are teacher shortages?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Correct, in line with their recent soundings about cutting career breaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I both supervised exams and marked exams for the SEC last summer. I finished on the 6 August, and was back in school fewer than three weeks later. That was my 'summer holidays' as a secondary school teacher.

Financially, the nett income, which was a shockingly poor 52% of the gross, was not worth it for the two months of my summer. That time is not coming back. Moreover, it nullifies a key quality of life reason for going into teaching in your early days - i.e. the holidays are great - when you're working through the holidays. Anybody entering teaching should be acutely aware that working for much of the holidays is a necessity for very many of us and, as such, you'd be advised not to choose teaching if it's "for the holidays" when you won't have the financial freedom to enjoy those holidays.

My nett income for those two months of summer was embarrassingly low and far inferior to my nett income from teaching for two months. Amid all the noise, that's the long and short of why the vast majority of teachers would not be willing to give up their summer holidays. There are many others for whom the holidays are non-negotiable - the most basic foundation of their teaching contract with the Irish State. End of. Schools are already struggling to get staff - take two months of holidays from teachers and good luck finding anybody desperate enough to teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

Why did the July ones have to be marked physically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

I would assume that plans to have some version of continuous assessment such as having some LC exams at the end of Fifth Year would, tacitly, have teacher marking in mind. Hard to imagine given the challenges of getting markers that they would look to create another layer for SEC marking at the same time as regular LC marking.

But you'd be amazed how many teachers buy into the "we have to reduce pressure on students" narrative and think that putting exams at the end of both LC years is the answer. And there also would be some who would be amenable to marking these, at least in theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Not a hope, it's a red line for the unions! And actually students and parents are broadly against it from my experience. It completely destroys the pastoral relationship between staff and students.

Pay more for corrections in certain subjects and make sure they have decent people as advising examiners. I know a few excellent teachers who won't correct due to bad experiences in the past. The shortage isn't across all subjects. I correct HL in my own subject. It's organized, methodical and the AE and SEC staff are brilliant. No issue getting people to correct and most are correcting for years.

That 5th year stuff is absolutely hilarious. They haven't a clue what they are going to do or who's going to train or implement it. Populism has no place in education or health policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

If they cut the 6 euro bonus per papee paid last summer I wont sign up agsin.

I had a HL LC subject, and between marking the paper and project it would take about 45 minutes. After tax i was getting 15 euro per paper. Without that bonus its down to 12 euro per paper (and probably more to correct with the students having one more question to answer this year)

It is possibly the best CPD you can engage in but unless you are really stuck for the money its hardly worth signing up to year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Actually that's a good point, if I lost the 6eu bonus I would have to seriously look at the numbers too. Seems risky for them to do that with the shortage but you'd never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

You know what? I'm done. The constant undercurrent of "blame the lazy teachers " that I hear in the discourse surrounding the marking of state exams hasgot to me. Between that and the poor take-home pay vs hours worked, I am DONE. I'm not marking next year. I have marked state exams several times, I also supervised the exams last year. I've my bit done. I'm also pulling back from all bar two extra curriculars that I am involved in. I am so sick of the constant extra demands.

Advertisement