Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a 10k Training Plan (that links into Garmin Watch)

Options
  • 28-12-2022 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Please move if it is.

For the past few months, I've been training with one of the built-in training plans that come with Garmin. I've been working towards a 10k and found one of their default plans very good because I could choose specifically which day I wanted for a rest day (Sunday) and what day for my long run (Friday).

Having come to the end of the plan, I'd like to move on - I don't want to restart their plan as it will bring me back to too light a schedule.

I've looked at Training Peaks and some of their plans; however, I don't get to configure rest days or long run days (most seem to set Sundays as the endurance run day).

Can anyone recommend a plan or a suitable source for a plan?

I am happy to pay and would pay for training peaks if it gave me this customisation (I don't mind paying their annual sub + a plan; however, the additional coaching costs for customisation are a bit too expensive IMO).

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Have a look at the Training log section. You will find some good inspiration there.

i.e.

or

other than that Id say reach out to a local coach to get input or sign up with a Club

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Just a heads up that log of mine isn't very good for 10k stuff. The Day That Never Comes documents my route to 36.05 10k.

OP feel free to get in touch via PM if you want to chat back and forth. Too hard to cover something as broad as this in a couple of online post spread over days and days

Just remember that usually a Plan is designed for someone based on his/her ability. Point is look for some logs that are at your pace and perhaps reach out to those for feedback and then work your way up. If you look at my diary I’m currently in the Base building Phase for a half marathon in April. For other this might already be the peak training phase. All comes down to your level and ability.

SB (and others) are usually Good in describing how they felt during each run. Means easier for you to judge your effort. hence I highly recommend reading those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Both Runkeeper and runwithHal apps connect to Garmin. Run with hal changes based on performance etc.

The Nike nrc app is also very good if a bit too American. Its free and more guided, it isn't linked to Garmin but it does track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I'm currently using the free

faster 10k plan as a way of getting ready for the Raheny 5mile race on the 29th of Jan. It transfers across to your Garmin connect account and you can switch which days you want to do the runs on. You can also edit the runs if you wish on training peaks. Now, it means a lot of interval runs, which may not suit everybody.

• Advertisement

How are those working for you guys? I struggle to see the benefit of those plans mainly as it’s never adjusted correctly to the individual. It might be fine if you just want to run but the moment you start chasing times I see more disadvantages than advantages

Advertisement