Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Being forced to move back to dublin to work from the office 4 out of 5 days.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,178 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If I started a company in the morning, it would be a bit rich of I didn't have the right to choose whether or not my employees could work from home.

I think OP should push a bit further in the first instance without the threat of resignations.

Maybe (ignorantly) say you know of person x, y etc (in and email) who have the privilege and say there is a precedent. They might not be willing to put the "cos they've a family" bit in an email tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

A point could be made that Dublin is no longer affordable so WFH where cost of living is lower makes more sense, also the fact that you now have to try and find accommodation in a market that is both overpriced and understocked.

Many of my colleagues moved away from Dublin during the pandemic, for many it made life easier as they aren't incurring the insane costs of living in or around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭global23214124

I think I'll go with the feeling singled out compared to say a father with a newborn or something that has full remote access in another department and see can I get can I get less days in the office. I'll try the housing crisis one after that maybe. Going to keep an eye out for remote positions as well. If I search remote positions in Ireland on linkedin there are nearly 5k results. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Lots of people have caring responsibilities other than children - people are caring for elderly parents, siblings with disabilities.

Limiting the policy to people with kids sounds like lads in the 30s and 40s writing policies that suit lads in their 30s and 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I guarantee you nobody has *written* that policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think I'd tell my manager it's a hard no I'm not going back to the office. No disrespect to them it's the company pushing for it and not them. I've been able to do my job to an excellent standard for the last few years remotely, you aren't going back x days as compromise you'll go in 4 days a month. If they don't like it they will have to start the process of firing you. If you go softly on them they will see it as a negotiation that they can win by saying its a hard no they have to either accept it or fire you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭dogbert27

But they did ask him to go in 4 days a month. He was asked to do 1 day in the office a week and ignored the request.

Why should his boss believe him that he'll definitely do 2 days a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

"My company recently said we have to go back to the office for 4 out of the 5 days and can work from home 1 day a week. We were supposed to be coming in 1 day a week but I haven't really done that as it wasn't enforced."

4 days a week so they would need to move back to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

I also think that working from home is now here to stay, and all in all it is a great thing, which I massively appreciate myself. That said, I think that some people really need to get a grip on themselves.

OP, you were asked to come in to the office one day a week, which you refused. I do not mean any offence at all, but to speak bluntly you must be genuinely living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that was a reasonable thing to do.

If it was the other way round, say they asked for four days out of five in the office, then I could somewhat see where you are coming from. The fact that you did not agree to even coming back in one day a week though could very well have set a tone which will not be agreeable to you in the future. Such as you seem to be seeing right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Maybe you should read the first post in the thread again.

Or failing that even the thread title would suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well the thread title is incorrect and great example of how people try and manipulate situations to look favourable towards themselves.

a better title would be …… I am being asked to actually show up at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

Perhaps have a re-read of my own post? Focus on the last two sentences.

The OP refused to come into the office for just one day a week when asked to do so. Is it no surprise in that case that they are now not been given any leeway in terms of compromising on the current situation.

Advertisement