Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewing Deceased in Hospital

Options
  • 27-12-2022 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

My Brother passed away last month after a decades long struggle with muscular dystrophy. It was sudden, although his condition had deteoriorated significantly within the last 3 yrs or so, we were not expecting him to pass away so suddenly from an apparent cardiac arrest. He was treated by paramedics at home before being taken to UHL where they continued trying to resuscitate. My sister and I went to the hospital to see him while he was still in the resuss area after they had finished working on him. We were not prepared for the way he looked. He was lying dead on the trolley with his mouth and eyes open. My first thought was could they not have closed his eyes and mouth after he died. Does anyone know what the procedure is for medical staff in relation to this when someone dies and is it normal that they do not close the eyes and mouth of the deceased patient?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

That's awful....I'm not defending the medical staff....maybe they didn't think you'd have arrived sooner and that "preparing him" was on their list

• Registered Users Posts: 37,871 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My condolences and wishing you and your family well

Think it's law that the deceased has to be identified (normally the day after) even if you were in the presence when they passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am sorry to hear about this king2 and you have my condolences. All I can say is I had a similar experience about 15 years back when I had to id my brother after a car crash and his eye were still open. I was told a month after that it can be tricky to close eyes on the deceased as when muscles go rigid it is a hard thing for medic staff to manage. They often leave it to the undertakers. Again you have my condolences.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So sorry OP. I had a similar experience with my mother. Many years ago but the images are permanently imprinted on my mind. Reading this I realise they were thinking of ID but even so when someone's loved one has had their head ... in an RTA?

I went to see her later in the funeral director's when they had dressed her etc but it did not ever erase that image of the way she died.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A very sad topic and I sympathise with those who have suffered trauma.

I have viewed deceased persons and done identifications.

My advice for what it's worth is don't rush into viewing.

Leave the professionals time to do the best they can.

It doesn't have to be close next of kin doing identification. It can be very traumatic and in cold impersonal circumstances.

It may be best to allow another family member to do it.

The speed at which things move after a death in Ireland can be tough on relatives try to find space for your emotions and take help when it is offered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

Thanks all for comments, Actually we did not view him in hospital for Identification purposes. His wife rang me from the hospital to ask did we want to go in and see him. Doesn't sound plausible that they would have to leave the mouth and eyes open for identification, I cant see how having them closed would hinder this.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

Thats awful, much worse than our experience, sorry you had to go through that.

Thanks.

. Much later when the man who had run over her was in court the police actively prevented my attending on the grounds I had " shouted" on that occasion. Heaven forbid I should be audibly distressed at such a death ! (This was England )

They just seem not to think re the effect on the amily. But then they are inured to it all. After the ID I called the undertaker and asked had they been able to make my mother look any better; they had asked for day clothes as she was in some kind of ?shroud?? when I ID ed her, and they were fine and enabled me to see her properly dressed ( they asked for her clothes) and treated with dignity. ( eyes streaming here)It IS that? Treating our dead with dignity and respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

OP, I'm very sorry for your loss and the subsequent trauma at seeing your brother so newly deceased after he had been worked on for a while. What I can tell you from having worked in hospitals many moons ago is that thst Nursing and Health Care Staff usually do their best to make the appearance of the deceased less traumatic for the bereaved if they choose to view their loved one immediately after they die. Unfortunately, it isn't always possible to close the eyes and mouth after death without the interventions of an undertaker, despite what you may have seen portrayed. I can well understand how you were shocked and distressed at your brother's appearance. But at the very least, the staff should have forwarned you and given you the option to postpone the viewing until your brother had been properly laid out. I'm so so sorry, it must have been very upsetting for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement