Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need some help.

Options
  • 24-12-2022 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello all, I need some advice from strangers on the internet regarding my work situation and what to do or how to move forward.

Basically, I work as a helper on a bin lorry, Now i love the job as i get exercise when i'm out and always on the go so it makes the day fly, My start time is between 04:30-05:30 to finish depending on what day of the week it is. Now this job suits me, But i feel i'm worth more if you get what i'm trying to say, I'm nearly 30 with no "Trade Qualifications" per say. I'm at the point in my life where i have 3 kids, 1 on the way and i don't know what or where i want to be? I'm currently getting roughly bertween 550-600 each week which the money is fine don't get me wrong, But i'd like to earn more and have a more lets say beneficial job with better benefits etc. How can i find my way in something else when i'm currently enjoying what i'm doing at the minute, Has anybody else being in the same position and found their way? If so let me here about.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That money is pretty good, and you do like the job...

What are you prepared to do to earn, say, an extra €100 per week? What will you have to trade for that? Your happiness or time?

To earn €700 per week, you are looking at undergoing new education, a huge change, with no guarantee of success.. I would be careful. Perhaps look at some way of cutting back on your existing expenditure rather than throwing away what is already good?

For the reference point, I'm 49 and work as a software developer, love my job and earn about €720 per week. My colleagues are also great people and the company has a very good culture. That's important, as I've worked for some cowboys in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Maybe study a course part time, get a qualification, then work for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would getting a licence yourself be an option I know there is a cost involved but just being the helper leaves you short on options if the job changes or goes down . A truck licence can be handy as you will get something if ever stuck and age generally not a factor if needed in years to come .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,420 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Part time day job if you're finished early.

Plenty of qualified folk not earning that or much more in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's a hard thing to do to change careers, so take your time to think about it

If you like your job then it's worth considering that another career might be more hassle and less likeable

But don't let that stop you either. As others said, maybe look into part time courses. There's also a lot of free introductory courses to just about anything, so feel free to browse around and see what looks interesting

My best career advice is to try and find something which is interesting and rewarding to you and something you can do.

There's a lot of throwaway career advice like "learn to develop apps" or "learn a trade" but if you don't find something interesting and achievable then you'll probably find it difficult

You also don't need to give up your current job necessarily. It sounds like you finish early, so that might open some possibilities for studying on the side and maybe a side hustle

Anyway, you're currently operating from a position of strength. You have a job which is paying enough for now and you've got the time and space to think about what you want to do.

I think it's a smart call to use the time you have now to be thinking about the future, much better than if you're unemployed and basically have to take whatever is coming up

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Talk to an adult career guidance counsellor, every adult learning centre has one and every town has atleast one adult learning centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You work as a helper on a bin lorry maybe try and progress to learn drive the lorry,get a priviosnal lorry licence and the boss will give you a bit of practice driving in the quieter times and then progress to cover sick days holidays .With 4 kids I would be wary of walking away from your current job earning what you do ,you probably wont earn much extra driving but it opens up possabilities for better job down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

If you have a driving licence, Dublin Bus are currently crying out for drivers. They provide full training, and you could be earning up to €1000 per week with overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That’s good money that particular role

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

In fairness that's a respectable wage, you probably wouldn't make a whole lot more driving a lorry but no harm to have the licence as there's a big shortage of drivers if ever anything happens with your current job, is there scope for you to get a job in the yard with a view to progressing up to logistics (courses available) or yard foreman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Ryzken

Only getting back to this now. I'm currently on a driving ban till next year so driving is out the window for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would getting a fork lift card be an option know you would need to get experience but you get the card easy enough after I think four day course . The main point is you should have something as back up in case the need arises you don't want in a few years to be in the job market with no recognised skill .

Advertisement