Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benelli TRK 502X

Options
  • 24-12-2022 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I got out of bikes c10 years ago after owning several, my last being a Super Tenere (hence the moniker).

I’m considering getting back in and looking at the Benelli TRK 502X. I’m not willing to endure an electric car so commuting by bike 2 or 3 days a week will be my bit for the environment. I’ll probably still bring the car when I have meetings out of the office (although given the reduction in parking in most urban areas I might use the bike for this also).

Will also use for ride outs at the weekend. It will be driven on rural roads and urban. My usual commute is only 14km but meetings will be a 220km round trip.

I’m early in the research process but so far it seems that while Benelli have a good name, they’re made in China. They handle well but they don’t have many bells and whistles. The have a large fuel tank, fuel efficiency is good and they’re well capable of carrying luggage.

Has anyone here owned one of these? If you’ve moved on, why? How long did you keep it? Would you recommend one?

TIA.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I looked at them, but decided against. It's a big bike and the engine isn't very powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

To help with advice here what's your budget ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Super Tenere

This will be my first bike after a break of 10 years so I don’t think I want anything too powerful, for the first while at least. I’ve read/watched a few reviews and they were reasonably positive on pulling power (given the weight) and very positive on handling.

The TRK is around €8k so I guess that’s my budget. I expect to spend a few quid on top of that on panniers/maybe an alarm. I still have my protective gear but I’ll probably buy another lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Forget the protective gear you bought 10 years ago. It will have degraded with age and things have moved on allot since then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

The TRK isn't a bad bike, a friend had one who used it for a similar enough commute to yours but eventually traded it for an Africa Twin. I think they might be bringing out a new model with a slightly larger engine though so maybe look into that.

Test drove it on Monday. I didn't purchase as I couldn't cope with the lack of power. I would say that the XLR 250 I had 12 years ago would go head to head with it. I also felt that it almost resisted cornering. Maybe I would get used to that and lean in more, but I've been riding bikes since I was 16 and I never had this issue.

I'll bide my time for something else. 702 X is due out in Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

I think the lack of power was part of his reason to trade up to something a bit bigger. I know power isn't everything but it's a large bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You should try a Honda NC750X. Available also as a more road oriented bike as the NC750. Available as standard transmission or an automatic (DCT).

The engine is very torquey, not big bhp, so it's a very mild & easy bike to ride, and it's incredibly light on fuel - my SO has the NC750S DCT and she's getting 80mpg out of it. The 'petrol tank' in front of you is in fact a luggage comparment that takes a full helmet, making the bike very practical.

Being a Honda, it''ll never breakdown, and as the model has been out for a good few years, you can get them for fair money.

Just out of coincidence, the bike my SO bought was sold by the owner to buy a Benelli 502 TRK. He had no interest in power, and just wanted the taller stance without all the complication and cost of (say) a BMW, for local spins. On that basis, it serves him well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Thanks, I'm strongly considering your suggestion. I have to keep a car on the road also so having a bike which is fuel efficient would suit me. Reviews of the NC750X are very positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well my SO's one is also DCT and it has made riding a bike much better for her. She previously had an 800cc BMW and finds the Honda much better. She didn't even notice the Honda is 35kg heavier......it's very well balanced and the CoG is very low.

The faux fuel tank which actually takes a full face helmet is incredibly useful.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement