Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs for 2023

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Felt like a headbangers convention in Cardiff last night

Danko Jones

The Darkness were on fire

And Black Stone Cherry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Looks like a great gig. Hoping the darkness are at EP this year. Never seen them

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Turin Brakes put on a great show in Whelans last night. Another band I've wanted to see for over 20 plus years.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

This is what I have lined up

Dry Cleaning - Vicar St

Igorrr - O2 Kentish Town

The Comet Is Coming - Button Factory

Osees - Button Factory

Lankum - Vicar St

Depeche Mode - Malahide

Aphex Twin - Field Day

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

Tickets acquired for the following….

14.4.23 - Gary Numan (London)

15.4.23 - Gary Numan (London) 

07.5.23 - Bruce Springsteen (RDS)

29.5.23 - Roger Waters (Birmingham)

10.6.23 - Roger Waters (Manchester)

14.6.23 - Depeche Mode (Malahide)

24.6.23 - Iron Maiden (3arena)

25.6.23 - Peter Gabriel (3arena)

26.6.23 - Placebo (3arena)

30.6.23 - Interpol (Trinity College)

29.10.23 - Geoff Tate (Tramline)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wandered up to the 3Arena last night not knowing what to expect. I was a little concerned when those in the queue already were mostly less than half my age. In fact I saw less then 10 of a similar vintage to myself throughout the evening.

I had picked up a ticket for Florence and the Machine a few weeks ago when I realised I could fit this into my latest road trip, before getting the overnight ferry to Holyhead. The garb that many were wearing was more suited to the San Francisco Summer of Love rather than the Dublin Winter of Discontent.

She arrived on stage like a whirling dervish. Her command of the audience was only comparable with Freddie Mercury in my own experience. And the audience of teeny boppers became more like punk rockers when the Sid Vicious created pogo became the "dance" of choice. In the end I was blown away by her performance. She told everyone to put their phones away after half an hour or so, but not before I had got a fair selection of pictures:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

My list updated -

Stiff Little Fingers, Barrowlands, Glasgow

The Wood Burning Savages, Limelight, Belfast

Bob Log III, Sandinos, Derry

David Kitt, Echo Echo, Derry

DADDY LONG LEGS, Sandinos, Derry

Forest Fest, Emo

Stendhal Festival, Limavady

Post edited by Penfailed on

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I have a select but delicious menu booked so far...

Murder Capital - Vicar Street

Young Fathers - Olympia

Yard Act - Vicar Street

Depeche Mode - Malahide

Wilco - Olympia

Lloyd Cole- Olympia

A House - Whelan's

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Granite Head

Young Fathers - Olympia

Black Country, New Road - Olympia

Depeche Mode - Malahide

Body & Soul

Blur - Malahide

War on Drugs - Trinity College

Madness - Trinity College

Christy Moore - TLT

Forest Fest

ATN

Lloyd Cole- Olympia

I would normally also go to EP but a significant birthday for the OH has ruled that out this year.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

Bit of a time lapse on these photos

10 February 1983, Leeds:

21 February 2023, Cardiff

and at 71 years and 341 days Mr Scott Gorham qualifies for my "Zimmerframe Rock" album, as he did on 22 February in Bristol

Was originally due to see the Black Star Riders in Belfast but was ill thar day. Had a ticker for Cardiff on Tuesday, but the quality of one of the support was so good I bought another for Wednesday in Bristol as soon as I got back to my hotel. More of that to follow....

• Advertisement

The best support I can ever recall. The treason I went back for a second night. I must have by-passed Hanoi Rocks in the 80's, as I had not even heard of Michael Monroe until Tuesday.

I was right in front of the barrier in Cardiff when he jumped over from the stage onto the step which was there for security should they have to deal with anything in the crowd. It was right in front of me and he then grabbed the arm of the guy next to me before climbing up on the barrier using my neighbour to balance and blasted one of the setlist before retiring back to the stage. My main concern was the risk of him falling on me

I was ready for it in Bristol, and again it was right in front of me, but this time there was one person between me and the barrier who he used for balance, leaving me to snap away with the camera

a 60 year old with the ene. a teenager. The amount he put onto his show was incredible, and the only reason I came back for more. And he had not been supporting in Belfast - if I had gone to that gig I would have been non the wiser.

Black Star Riders were always going to be a bit of an anti-climax after that, but they did put on a good show

and invited the other support, Phil Campbell (who had his bastard sone with him during his set) on stage to help with Don't Believe a Word

and then Michael Monroe returned to the stage for another number

• Registered Users Posts: 30,360 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Saw Beast In Black, with Firewind as support, over the weekend in The Academy as they brought their Dark Connection tour to Ireland. BiB were on fire and had a lovely mix of songs from all 3 of their albums. A great night was had and BiB are a brilliant band to see live.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭1992ChainGang

Was anyone at Van Morrison tonight? Have to say very disappointed, I know his reputation etc but literally not 1 hit - everything off the new album or very recent.

He just walked off barely 90 mins into the set and that was it, over before 9.30pm.

The band were so tight but Van was shout instructions at them throughout the set - 100 quid a ticket was steep for that. A real legend but found it disappointing - was anyone else there any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭fafy

Excellent gig by The Murder Capital, Sunday night @ Vicar Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,909 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Back to the gigs this Friday with a little different one

Irish folk singer Daoiri Farrell in a small pub called 'The Seanti' just outside Waterford City

Added The Waterboys on 1st Nov in Wexford to my list for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Lads I'm putting in my entry for 'gigs of the year'. A little early, granted but I can't see anyone topping Young Fathers at the Olympia last night. Out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭fafy

Cheers, must check them out, have heard the name alright, but not heard their stuff, and nice to get recomendations

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not a gig per se, but grabbed a ticket for penn and tellers last UK show in June.

• Advertisement

Great gig and venue last night

Daoiri Farrell in the Seanti pub in County Waterford (Kilkenny too some ha)

A bit of Biff and the gang in the 3Olympia on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Not sure if it qualifies as a gig but I went to the Waterfront Hall in Belfast to see the Blindboy Podcast last night. His guests were Kneecap. Blindboy tried his best. They were arseholes. Loud, boorish, obnoxious pricks. I can't imagine that it'll ever go out as an actual podcast. Very disappointing.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Kneecap come across as republicans for the tik tok generation, sound bites you can use without ever understanding what you're saying or why you're saying it. Shame because with what the North might have to go through if the DUP reject the protocol, there's a gap for knowledgeable young people to inform the youth up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,190 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Retro lineup ..

Thin Lizzy Symphony, National Concert Hall .

Soft Cell OMD and Heaven 17 , St Anne's Park.

Depeche Mode , Malahide Castle .

Pet Shop Boys , 3 Arena .

Sting and Blondie , Malahide Castle.

Madness , Trinity .

Forever Young Day 2 .

Lloyd Cole , Olympia

That's it so far .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

The Comet Is Coming, Dean Wareham plays Galaxie 500, No Spill Blood, Gina Birch, Meryl Streek, GBH, Yo La Tengo, Tau & The Drones Of Praise, Just Mustard (360 AV show x 2), Yard Act, The Oozes or Arxx (same night), Weedeater, Boris, Benefits, Quasi, Otoboke Beaver, Unsane, Daddy Long Legs, Loop, Thumpasaurus, Osees, Deli Girls, Jah Wobble, Bongzilla, The Boo Radleys, The Waeve, Discharge, HR of Bad Brains. Possibly a couple of more. I've got tickets so far for 12 of them.

That takes me up to the end of July! Then i've got ATN and EP.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Can add John Fogerty in the 3Arena to the list

Should be a great evening and will show how amazing CCR are

• Registered Users Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

Not sure how this would be a surprise to anyone- 2 minutes looking at one of their videos would confirm this.

it’s funny when the likes of the Irish times endorses cretins like these just be seen as “with it”

Advertisement