Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent arrears described as Long Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

**** hell. What a joke of a judge allowing the tenants to stay and accrue a further 5 grand in arrears (at least). And this is the reality when a landlord does everything by the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mad that a landlord has to get to the stage of being over 70K in rent down, plus legal costs (which no matter the outcome will never be recouped) - and they still get two months' grace to find alternative accommodation. What are they at for the last 3.5 years???

And this landlord was a company - what chances an individual landlord would have the resources to take it that far?

No wonder landlords are deserting in their droves.

But the biggest mystery of all - WTF is the thread title all about????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭KilOit

Ouch, let that be a lesson to people that come here for advice only to be told to go down the legal route. plenty of alternatives if you google them

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Insane

Would have been cheaper that’s for sure. What would the legal fees be, anyone hazard a guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thread title is based on this line:

the only one of the tenants to attend court, said the arrears had arisen solely because of Covid

I gathered that, but the OP must have been smoking some of their own herbal plants to think that that was a logical segue to the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Don’t pay €160 tv licence - go to jail.

Accumulate €75,000 of rent arrears - party time!

I couldn't even begin to guess, but a visit to the District Court, followed by the Circuit Court (where barristers are involved) is not for the faint of wallet, I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭herbalplants

No Heidi Heidi definitely I don't smoke any drugs, so don't insult me.

I hope I don't need to ask for your permission on choosing my id 🤔

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭herbalplants

If I read well, it says the renters were not paying their rent since sometime in 2019 yet they blame Covid. Sure covid started in March 2020.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd be happy to do a Putin if I was the landlord,

Your honor I found them underneath the balcony I believe they were sick with sadness,

How is this being allowed to go on and the courts entertaining it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Yes, but this is an especially loooooong strain of long Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Common sense decision from the judge granting the eviction but putting a stay on it over Christmas for humanitarian reasons. Perhaps if the absolutely outrageous amount of €2,500 a month was not being charged these arrears would not occur absolute extortion to be charging that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Which humanitarian reasons?.. where is the money that they should have been paying across gone..plenty of cash for a hotel.

Fair play for getting a dig in at the landlord..they signed the lease knowing exactly how much it was. They are complete chancers and should be out on the streets.

• There are cheaper alternatives they could have taken, eg I charge my tenants not far off half that for a Dublin house. They signed a contract to pay that rent, they knew what they were obliged to pay.

• A tent would be too good for free-loaders like them. It would be way too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭arctictree

Love that. As if any of those back payments will be made. Law in this country is a joke.

Cant see how you can determine that €2,500 is an outrageous amount. You don't know the size/standard of the property being rented or what the tenants were earning. I'm sure there are cheaper options available if the tenants were willing to travel further.

What occurred here is simple theft, and the tenants were able to use government systems to prolong the theft further. It should be fairly simple process that if payments stop you are out on your ear within a month you shouldn't be allowed the continued enjoyment of a rental property when you have stopped paying for it.

If I decided to help myself to €2,500 euros of groceries out of Dunnes every month for the last three years without paying I'm sure a judge wouldn't say its Christmas so continue robbing until February. I'm sure I'd be facing a custodial sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

its 2500 a month split 4 ways..... so 625 each per month..... surely if they were working they could afford that in rent each. If not then they should never have signed up for the rental property to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Given the high risk of never seeing a penny and not getting the gaff back for years it seems to be a very reasonable amount......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,804 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Landlord has zero chance of getting that back.

The more annoying bit is there is no register of dodgy tenants too so they will just move into the next rental and start again.

I'll never understand why refusing to pay rent is just not something the government cares about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Any LL is going to google the tenants name before they pick them so these clowns won't be able to find anywhere to live, 1 day, week month it makes no difference they are going to be homeless and rightly so, they only have themselves to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

It's 30k a year to live in Belmayne ffs of course it is outrageous. If greedy LL's keep setting such outrageously high rents people will have trouble paying them. Every resident in the country is entitled to the use of the courts the courts of the land have made a determination in favour of the landlord and against the non paying tenants and they will be duly evicted when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

And the arrears?

Tipsy by any chance are you a Freeman of the Land?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

30k for 4 people = €7,500 each

€7,500 / 52 = €144 and change per week

but go with your headline figure for maximum dramatic effect.

Well the RTB made a determination over a year ago, and they haven't paid a penny of that, nor vacated the property (as ordered) so that the landlord can rent it to someone who actually might pay the rent (they signed a contract to pay).

They didn't even bother attending their own District Court appeal, which presumably also determined that they should leave the property.

When do you think is reasonable for them to be duly evicted, and not continue costing the landlord €2500 per month?

And 30k per annum was between 4 adults, so 7500 per annum each. Hardly beyond the bounds for a working adult?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭DubCount

They should not be in a tent, they should be in jail. Squatting on private property for 3 years with no intention to pay, should be a criminal offence. The should be housed in Mountjoy in stead of being given another 2 months of squatting time and freeloading.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

We genuinely don't have a healthy rental market. I remember reading last year that 40% of all renters in the country are on HAP or getting other types of rental assistant. With the HAP rates increasing, the state is just going to subsidise more and more people.

When HAP was first introduced it was only supposed to be a temporary stop gap till Council/Gov built more social houses. This hasn't happened and all they did was expand the scope of HAP.

Unfortunately the government has cornered themselves and can't do anything else, so stuff like this is going to get very common. A once off eviction bank will just be the norm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement