Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Housing and Location Advice 2022/23

Options
  • 19-12-2022 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Can anyone advise on the suburbs in Sligo? There is not much housing stock online for sale, and outside of Strandhill and Rosses Point, I am unfamiliar with the main urban areas.

For sale, there are some units in areas like Caltragh, Carton, Crozon, Woodtown Lodge, Ballincar, Yeats Heights, Greenfort, Rathbraughan Park, Seaview Park and Tonaphubble.

Are there any areas can are viewed as undesirable, less desirable, subject to social issues or have a history of challenges? What are these areas like after dark? I know most of Sligo, like most places, is fine, but we would like to know how the people of Sligo view some developments in the area and if there are key things we should know about it.

Any recommended areas in the town that are good places to live be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

That's quite a big scope you have there. Are you renting or buying?

If it were me, I'd zone in on what properties appeal to you and contact the Auctioneer/Estate Agent and talk to them, and if you're able to, visit a few at the same time. Get a feel for the place and ask the auctioneer. Generally if the auctioneer gets a good idea who you are and what your needs are, they can offer advice accordingly to you.

All of the areas you have listed are in my opinion very good, its down to you and what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Avoid all you mentioned bar Ballincar.

Pretty much all of town bar Cranmore/Balytivnan/Hill/Treacy Ave/Carton were nice quiet areas but as with other areas of the country the council tended to dilute the better areas with people from council estates in the late 90s onwards and hence ruining what was left of the town.

There are plenty of nice villages if you are willing to go a bit further out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Plenty of good area's. What's your buying budget & what are you looking for in a house?

The areas you mention vary greatly in terms of price, house size & availability.

Market is very poor at the moment & not alot of properties coming up for sale.

Note: New Rules for both first & second time mortgage buyers come into effect in Jan '23, whether than affects price & availability, only time will tell.

Post edited by BronsonTB on

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wayoutwhest

Hi, thanks for the reply. We are looking to buy a house. Small family, won't get bigger at this stage either. We want a nice quiet area as we would rather pay more or get a smaller place for an area that is viewed as good and doesn't have social issues or groups of youths hanging about outside shops till all hours.

Public transport is a concern if we go too far out. Kids will get to a stage where the town's amenities will be needed to be accessible along with the school. Also would not want to be paying or struggling to get a taxi on the odd social evening to somewhere too far out.

• Advertisement

The budget is about 260k now but has a rental place somewhere else in the county we could sell to bring it up to about 430k, but that would take a year before it could be in a position to sell that place. Access to a train station is essential as we both will work from another address in Dublin some days during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

If you need quick enough access to the Dublin train it would be Sligo Town, Collooney as the most likely locations. I rarely use the train so I dont want to misinform you, but parking for the train in Town can be tricky. Maybe try to make connections via the schools you'll be using, you might get up to date opinions and advice.

Advertisement