Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You want a coke? Get out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

In a year or so when the recesh hits you'll see him in another article banging on about how it's up to everyone to preserve Belfast's pub heritage

• Registered Users Posts: 25,014 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What do people do who are ..

1) driving…

2) on medication, treatment or enduring a medical condition not compatible with alcohol consumption…

3) have an early start and therefore contractual limits re: alcoholic consumption… 11 hours in one of my cases it stipulated..

4) are popping in for a work type meeting / get together ?

there is an Irish pub in Paris down by the Seine and one of the managers used to start that craic… the fûck he gets his panties in a bunch for.. a mystery considering his employer is a multimillionaire, his employer owns about 9 pubs… yet here is a little snot fungus on 13.50 an hour, worried about people not drinking alcohol….

this tulip however should be boycotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭enricoh

Often see lads in the local cafe hogging a table with a pot of tea n the laptop out. People head off if no tables available, if I owned the cafe I'd be running them after say 20 minutes.

The barmen in my local got rid of the Guinness 00 tapas it was so slow to pull a pint.

He seems to reckon he'll get by, his business so fair enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The guy must only want a conveyor belt of fast drinkers I suppose that's his right as the owner .I can see the point in people hogging seats especially at the bar and making a pint last for a whole match or something which I have seen .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭buried

Somebody comes into your business and wants to purchase a product that you currently have in stock and you tell them to f**k off? This Brittle guy is a genius.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭elperello

At least we know the cut of his jib now.

Easy to swerve his establishment.

Plenty more pubs in Belfast.

Post edited by elperello on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm sure if they felt it was affecting their business they would run them out but they don't so it mustn't be. Similarly this twat is bragging about selling hundreds of pints while complaining about someone wanting a coke, if he's selling so many pints, one coke isn't going to put him out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,160 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭I see sheep

He's a tosser

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

He's a dick, and I'd avoid giving my money to any bar that pulls that nonsense.

But at the same time, offer and acceptance is the name of the game. Long as he's not discriminating on any of the protected grounds then I respect his right to not accept my business. He doesn't owe me service. Ill simply go to his competitor.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

His game, his rules, if he has the business to be able to do it, good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Covidhaveago

Yer man’s an attention seeker, always pulling stunts to get his name and his business in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah, funny man.

Put a letter into the County Court for Belfast to have on file for the next time his liquor licence is up for review.

I suspect the review board won't be too impressed by his refusal to serve soft drinks on request, for all the reasons he obviously should.

Self-satisfied prick wouldn't be so amused then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

That was my first thought - a tesco value Michael OLeary

• Registered Users Posts: 14,657 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Michael says "can of Coke, yes sir that'll be 3 euro". 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And that's the 150ml can!

At least we know which pub to avoid. Not that I drink anymore. But if I did, and I ever found myself in Belfast again (I won't, don't like the place), then I'd show him by not going there. That'll teach him.

Best thing we can do is to actively ensure we never speak the pub or persons name again and stop giving him any airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I always thought that there was more profit in soft drinks and less likelihood of rows breaking out.??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Maybe there is, on an individual basis. But most people don’t down 10 soft drinks in a row, and then think it’s a good idea to hit the Jägerbombs.

This guy came in and ordered a Coke, well a glass of Coke doesn’t really work for me”

That’s as far as I could read before I closed the page. What a wanker. Does work for you? Sure who’s asking you?

Imagine going to a Café..

“hi, I’d like a cappuccino”

”ah sorry that doesn’t really work for me today. How about an Americano?”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

There was a pub in Sligo in the early 90s that would not serve tourists. The pub was tiny - hardly standing room in the place on a normal night. And the owner was sick of a gaggle of Americans coming in, pint of Guinness and 5 straws between them and bellowing about what a great irish experience this is.

I can kinda see both sides of the argument...but been a prick will never win out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Nah, he'll have gone bust long before that as he is not terribly bright. If you have a limited number of tables you need to maximise the margin generated by each seat at the table, you do that by selling high margin products and that is not a pint of Guinness. It's along time ago since I say a set of pub accounts, but back in the day the margin on a soft drive was about three times a pint, but lsay twice for argument's sake. That means he needs to sell two pints for every coke, which means the seat is occupied longer. And while his mate buys that second pint, Johnny with the coke will have a second one and so the catch up continues.

Perhaps he is hobby pub owner that made his money else where and can afford to play these games or perhaps he is just dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,326 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I doubt it will go bust...seems to be hugely profitable, he has been running it for about 30 years. Always rammed when I have been in it tbh.

Tbh it is outrage marketing a bit like the white moose place in Dublin, it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

He was interviewed last week and was boasting his pub was busy. Big deal it's the run up to Christmas, everywhere is busy. Wait until February hits, he'll be selling capri suns if it gets people through the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He clearly is a bit of a wanker, but on the other hand he is perfectly right, nothing worse than a bunch of tourists taking up a table for hours while sipping a half pint or soft drink.

And the margin argument is bogus because it ignores the quantity, Pedro coke drinker does not sip his soft drink in the same manner as a few lads out for pints.

Apparently his Guinness is supposed to be very good? So I see this as no different to a fancy restaurant being picky about their clientele, nobody bats an eyelid at some chef refusing to cook you beans on toast, no matter what the margin on toast is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What do they do?

They don't go to the pub would be my suggestion.

Is there any other business that gets frequented by people who don't intend to purchase their core product?

Not really a fare comparison tbh. I doubt a fancy restaurant would have beans on toast on its menu....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

Your analogy only works if the fancy restaurant has beans on toast on the menu though.

How would you feel if you went to seafood restaurant and they refused to sell you cod from the menu because they had plenty of others ordering more expensive monkfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This made me laugh, I’ve seen this happen a couple of times in bars, once when some young wannabes asked for a cocktail list in a small old man’s bar, the barman told them to fuccckoff out’ve it.

Remind me of the Frankie Boyle joke.

"Scottish people aren't all that friendly are they I once saw an English guy in Glasgow trying to order a pint of lager and lime and the barman went: We don't do cocktails."

• Advertisement

Comparing a chef not preparing something off the menu (which they may not even have available) to someone who just wants to be a wanker is offensive to me personally.

I, for one, will happily prepare any dish (within reason) a guest requests. If it can be done it will be done.

Advertisement