Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build size variation

Options
  • 17-12-2022 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Is it possible that one house in a housing estate could be smaller that every other one?

Viewed a corner house in an estate today, the driveway is definitely smaller but EA says the house is the same size. I have my doubts though.

I know I could call into the neighbours and I might yet but it is playing on mind.. How common is this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭Tow

Common enough.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭quokula

There will almost always be variation between plot sizes. The houses themselves should be the same size, unless specifically sold as a different layout, but driveways and gardens can vary a lot. You can usually find the planning permission document for the development on the council website (at least in my local area you can) which will have precise measurements for each plot, in my experience you'll get further doing that than trying to get a straight answer from an estate agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Thanks for the responses folks.

Suppose it shouldn't really bother me what size the other houses sitting room is as long as I'm happy with mine. Thing is I suppose just feeling like you're being taken for a bit of a ride is all. Driveway is definitely smaller but I'd live with that. Just the sitting room feels a little squashed is all. May get nosey and have a word with the neighbours and see exactly. It's the last house and the last house for a reason I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You are not going to be able to make the builder increase the house size, and he isn’t going to drop the price because in looks smaller. If you get a bad vibe about the house/something bothers you, don’t buy it because room size is not something you can change. Variations do happen and even if it is advertised as being bigger on a promo brochure, that is not necessarily legally binding, a judged ruled on a case a few years ago that the advertiser does not have a duty of care to the house buyer about the size of the property, you/surveyor have to do your own measurements.

Advertisement