Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy Show the Musical - Farce or Triumph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes someone complained to RTE that they bought some on the day the show was cancelled and the Coveney lad said to Claire Byrne all merch purchases would be refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

CB also questioned how someone from Cork for eg that had travelled to the show could reasonably return the merch… he dismissed that comment.

its farsical, imagine buying all the overpriced popcorn etc for a 4pm show only to be told at 4.10 that the show is cancelled 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE believe over a few years TSTM will bring in profit, a little like Anglo Irish Bank believing if just lots more money was lent to it they would be in profit and never collapsed...

RTÉ has admitted that Toy Show The Musical, the state broadcaster’s expensive and ambitious live Christmas show venture, underwhelmed at the box office.

The publicly funded broadcaster has refused to explain how much the fledgling show cost compared with how much it made, but revealed that RTÉ will have to run the musical again over a “number of years” to recoup its investment in the project.

https://www.independent.ie/news/rte-admits-toy-show-musical-flopped-at-box-office-but-insists-show-will-run-for-years-42297062.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

They are unbelievable the way they repeatedly refuse to show their accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's the RTE way. Nobody likes it, it's losing millions...great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭StevenToast

As some on boards may know I am not Ryan Turdidys biggest fan....

But fair play to him....he knew this was dogshìt from the start and avoided it like the plague.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Ryan Tubridy is obsessed with the Toy Show ... sells this bigtime to RTE ... it is the only thing he is relatively 'good at presenting' .... so to drive that point home and promote it as a franchise we get Toy Show the Musical ... perhaps it needs the man himself ... Ryan Tubridy ... starring in it to make it a success !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

How soon will they start advertising TSTM 23

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Probably very soon ... along with the Toy Show itself ... TSTM 23 better star Mr Toy Show himself Ryan Tubridy !! TSTM 22 was a bit like a James Bond film without James Bond in it !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Karppi

I suspect the only reason Ryan wasn’t involved was that he wanted too much to do it.

• Advertisement

Didn't want to pay him probably. No wonder he ignored it.

Seriously though how can Dee Forbes think it will be a success in 2023; those who saw it in 2022 are not going to want to see it again (more than likely), they’d probably want to experience a different musical/panto.

Those who didn’t see it are unlikely in the main to want to.

throwing good money after bad imo

I bet he was integral in making it happen but was clever enough not to be involved

She’s buying time , in the summer they’ll decide not to run it and it will be brushed under the carpet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

There is no way they will stick with this. It will be dropped without any explanation and when pushed they will say they have invested the money in other projects, or some such nonsense.

This is pure PR fluff on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hopefully

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They’ll use a big event like the Rugby World Cup or something to brush it away into the dustbin where it belongs…

If it’s a good story then it should be out in the regional theatres for local groups to perform for a few years until it’s perfect

the arrogance of going from paper straight to the national convention centre is astonishing but not surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Much as I dislike NK and his company, he's not thick. He saw the writing on the wall months ago and had instructed his big earner to stay the fook away from TSTM

This is classic RTE [wasting money] except this time it's monumental. Normally they just stuff our money down the toilet in small wads (think that Glow up rubbish - anything with Baz in it) and their incompetence goes unnoticed, but they've really been found out now. It's okay though, cos everyone involved will be paid handsomely and in full...which is great news.

And none of it will be RTÉ’s fault……. It’ll be all the publics fault for ‘not getting on board’ and not getting ‘the spirit of the toy show’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Does anybody know who actually played Tubs in it?

A twig off a tree I believe… and the twig nailed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It's already started

Ms Forbes also appeared to criticise Brian Stanley, the chair of the Dáil’s spending watchdog, for giving a media interview about PAC’s concerns about the musical days into its maiden run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So it was a farce.

Now it was a farce before the "illness" set in among cast members.

Why? Well RTÉ would have known. Why? Because they would have seen ticket sales.

RTÉ and the promoters would have know if it was a farce or a triumph in terms of ticket sales by the opening night, if not the week before the opening night. It is likely based on ticket sales they could have deemed it a farce on the night of the Toy Show, when you'd expect many to buy a few tickets after seeing the TV show the night before.

IMO this is what has to be asked to theater professionals, when do they know its a farce... where they expecting a break out success like "Springtime for Hitler: A Gay Romp With Adolf and Eva at Berchtesgaden"

The question you ask is by opening night how many tickets had been sold and had it broke even at that point, and what would normal expected sales be during the run of a show? This could be answered tomorrow by anyone in the industry.

The first question you'd ask a promoter: -

1. How many ticket do I need to sell to breakeven?
    2. When should I open ticket sales?
    3. At what point will I know I am either going to loss money or make money?
    4. What should sales like after previews?
    5. What should sales be like during the run of the show?

Each of these question can be answered by the venue or the promoters, before sales and would provide part of the overview of the risk.

Once sales begin each of the questions (excluding question 1 and 2 can be reassessed)

for example answers to questions 3 to 4.

Based on the sales after week 1 we'd expect that you should breakeven by week 4

Based on preview sales its likely you will make a loss

Based on the sales during the first week of the run you should gain a profit.

This would matter if you had me in the Convention Center reading this post every night for 3 weeks, it probably wouldn't sell because its not that great a post or all that interesting, but if you are lucky you'd have to have these sales to turn a profit.

Who's coming to RoTelly reads random posts from Boards.ie?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

This would never happen with someone like Tony Haters in charge.

See there on Rte website that the losses from this farce are circa 2.2million - total joke

Not surprising...

Actually the only surprising thing is that it isn't more than €2.2m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I am still open to reading my last post on this thread at the Convention Centre, I am will to do it for €2m, that covers my development costs and research that at least one person like my last post. I would also like a car... a loan of a car ... for 5 years ... that I will only give back if the Oireachtas think we are up to something funny.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭micks_address

i dont know anyone who went to the show but surely someone did? were the reported shows cancelled due to illness really due to them not selling?

Advertisement