Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to Chris Barry ?

Options
  • 17-12-2022 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what happened to Chris Barry ?

If hes still in the radio industry you think classic hits would have snapped him up to present another talk show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭VanHalen

He was working for Mike Maloney’s More Music Ireland internet radio station which closed down around April earlier this year. Not sure what he’s up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

What station does Adrian Kennedy's phone show be on? Haven't listened in years. Any out there like them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Adrian Kennedy now alternates with Niall Boylan on the 4FM bottom feeder phone show. Ireland's Daily Mail Live.

Truly obnoxious stuff, which thankfully doesn't seem to have much of an audience anymore. Largely thanks to social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

Indeed

I was just wondering if there were any other night time talk shows.

I found one. Niall Boylan 98FM 9pm week nights.

Post edited by apache on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He sits in on Newstalk’s lunchtime show every now and then.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I think it was Chris Barry who invented the late night radio talk show format.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It has already neem mentioned that Niall Boylan's show is on 4FM, or Classic Hits Ireland as it is known these days. There is already a thread in this forum for Niall Boylan:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057632501/the-niall-boylan-show#latest

I don't think Chris Barry is involved with any of the regular commercial stations these days. As a poster said, he was involved with online station More Music Ireland recently. I think he last turned up on commercial radio between 2013 and 2016 when he was back with FM104, a station that he been with a number of years starting when it was called Capital Radio. Along the way, he did stints with 98FM and Dublin's Country Mix 106.8 (known now as Sunshine 106.8). Chris also was involved with some temporary licensed stations: Christmas FM, 949 The Rock and Real Radio.

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

He certainly was one of the earliest Irish examples of the late night talk format... but he certainly did not invent it. Most of the innovations introduced to Irish radio in the 1980's (mainly by the pirates) were imported tried and trusted american radio formats and techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is funny are people mentioning Adrian Kennedy and Chris Barry. Because the two lads sounded identical and one took over the others program. The conversations used to start with ‘

Caller: ‘eh hello Chris, I’d like to talk about unmarried mothers’

Ak : ‘It’s not Chris it’s Adrian!!!!’

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Chris Barry and later Keith ward did as much as they could do as by the mid to late 2010s, late night phone-in radio had become as relavant as 11850 directory enquiries thanks to the internet. Some people claim that the show would still be as popular as ever today if Adrian Kennedy was still doing it, yet he's on classic hits radio Ireland every Wednesdays night doing the same kind of show and nobody seems to listenen to it or care about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I think one of the main problems with his show and others like it was that they kept repeating the same topics.

Speaking of Chris Barry, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't he the voiceover for The Marian Finucane show until it ended?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Citizen2011

Anybody remember Joan on Chris Barry mid 1990’s. Every night she’d phone in to get the ball rolling.

I'm a bit too young to remember that far back but Isn't it well known now that such radio talks shows have/had certain a type of regular on speed dial and it's normally the radio show that contacts them first? More recently John O'Donovan from cork would be a prime example

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Ah Joan, there's a blast from the past.

Now that I think of it, was she the same Joan that was on the Strawberry Alarm clock around the same period? With Colm Hayes I think, before Jim Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I remember Joan from the FM104 talk show days in the 90s.

If it's the same Joan, then unfortunately she passed away last year. Niall Boylan paid tribute to her, which was only fitting given her contributions over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Listened to Chris Barry in my teens, what I liked about him was he didn’t take himself the show or it’s callers too seriously….at all seriously really… where Kennedy really was trying to make you believe it was a consequential current affairs type phone in, in many instances anyway…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The Joan who used to present with Colm Hayes was Joan Lea, last heard around these parts on Radio Nova. She was a presenter, not a caller. It looks like the regular caller in question could well have been Joan Brady, as per post from Angel eyes 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

The auld wan that I remember always calling in was Bernie. I think she may have also called into the Gerry Ryan show on 2FM on occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭GSF

Didn’t he first start out doing midnight to 3am then as the show got more popular it got brought forward to 11 then 10 then 9pm starts. They show was better when it was new and nobody knew that it was all formatted and staged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Citizen2011

It was great listening particularly in the mid 1990’s when the alternative option might have been a portable tv in a bed sit. Once you started listening you were hooked for the night.

Advertisement