Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with coins

• 16-12-2022 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm self employed, since 07 I've been collecting all my coins in a big bottle, the last time I cleared it out was 07 and there was over 10k in it, my question is when it's ready to empty again can I put this money straight into the bank, it's from already declared income so what are the tax implications of lodging an amount like this, many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

No tax implications. It's your money and you paid tax earning it.

Lodge money. Get receipt to state it was coins. Take a picture of coins.

Party 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Ok thanks, so I can lodge straight into my private account, I thought there was a process with the bank where they notify revenue? about lodgments over a certain amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭black & white

I think you're correct about that, I got a refund from Revenue a few weeks ago and when I went to lodge the cheque (3k) they asked me who it was from - I laughed and pointed where it said Revenue Commissioners on the cheque, the lad apologised and said he had to ask regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Thanks, whilst the money is above board i don't know if I want to be dealing with accountants and Revenue if it'll draw them down on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭black & white

One option is to use one of the machines that give you notes instead of coins (in some supermarkets and they charge about 10% commission) and then you have notes, much easier to use. I did notice recently when clearing my credit card bill in the post office is that they didn't ask any questions about where I got the cash, 'twas 3 or 4 grand but no hassle at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Xander10

Some going that.

You can't be doubly taxed on earnings. Just get receipt from bank that it was coin.

It must be some weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The bank will charge you to lodge large sums in coin.

Why not just take some out each day and use it as you go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭28064212

They do notify Revenue of unusual lodgements. That doesn't mean you're going to get a knock on the door some day. Revenue know what they're looking for, and two lodgements of ~€10,000 14 years apart are not going to be ringing alarm bells anywhere.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭phormium

Have you an Ulster bank account? One of their big advantages is their coin machines but you must lodge the money to a UB account. Don't know if any other banks have them. You just tip in the coins uncounted and it counts them and issues slip showing total which you take to counter and lodge to your account. Great yokes!

Advertisement