Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 - Top 3 gigs of the year.

Options
  • 14-12-2022 1:22pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Top three gigs you went to. Keep it to 3 no need to go beyond that.

In no particular order as they were all my favourite gig for different reasons.

Lankum - Vicar St.

Mountain Goats - Vicar St.

Sparks - Vicar St.

Shout out to Foggynotions as ever for consistently putting on the best shows every year.

Post edited by lordgoat on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭fafy

Public Service Broadcasting

-Cyprus Avenue, Cork

The Smile

-Magazine, London

BDRMM

-Winthrop Avenue, Cork

editing as a 4th i forgot about

Arcade Fire

-3Arena

Post edited by fafy on

• Registered Users Posts: 37,921 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sorry loadgoat had this ready too go

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

This is going to be tough....... In no particular order.

Alanis Morisette - 3 Arena

I was 9 when jagged little pill came out, and even then I knew it was special, so while this was a by the numbers gig for Alanis, it was a special one for me.

Frank Turner - Berlin

I've seen Turner 57 times now, and if you've seen him you know the drill, Audience and artist combine as one, the more the audience gives, the more he gives. Nothing captures this like his own 4 day festival Lost Evenings, and night 3 of this year's was him playing his new album in full, which could have gone very wrong, but everyone in the crowd and on stage left every bit of themselves in that venue. Top 5 Turner gig for me.

The cherry cokes - somewhere at sea

The Flogging Molly salty dog cruise is a 4 day punk rock bender on a cruise ship, open bar from Miami to the Bahamas and back again. The last band on it this year was a band called the Cherry Cokes. And despite it being 1am and them being on a stage way too small to accommodate the crowd, insanity broke out for an hour.

The cherry cokes are a celt punk band in the vein of DKM, Flogging Molly or the pogues, except all in Japanese, finishing their set with a half English/half Japanese version of the Irish rover.

You know it's a good year for gigs when you wait 25 years for Garth Brooks and he doesn't even crack your top 5 that week......

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

The Midnight - Vicar Street

Devin Townsend - Olympia

Perturbator/Health - Academy

Honorable mentions for 2 gigs where i was just the walking atm/chaperone for my daughters,Never listened to the music before or after but they were great gigs:

Mitski - Vicar Street

Mother Mother - Olympia

Post edited by Ultimate Gowlbag on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

OP do you not mean 2022 or is it for gigs that haven't happened yet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,921 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The great Alter Bridge gig in the 3Arena last Thursday ends my gigs for the year. No doubt made up for the last few years with the covid restrictions. Sadly Covid got in the way for the Hella Mega Tour for me aswell as Lindsey Buckinghams illness with the postphonement and cancellations but thats life

From Whelans, Vicar Street ,RHK, 3Arena, Malahide Castle, Pairc Ui Chaoimh and Croke Park all great occasions

So hard to pick out the best gig but I'll mention a few

Garth Brooks 9th Sep Croke Park- was a bit of an emotional one esp after the 2014 debacle but that was all vanished the minute he hit the stage. The atmosphere was electric and the performance was brilliant. Been night 1 the setlist was mostly a surprise but with the gig been part of a tour it didn't change much from the US leg.

Tool 6th May 3Arena- Outstanding gig, the visuals were amazing and with no phones allowed til the last song everyone was 100% focused

The Cure 1st Dec 3Arena- setlist amazing as was the performance. Brilliant atmosphere too

The Killers 15th Jun Malahide Castle- Bought a ticket on the whim and really enjoyed it. Weather was great and venue wasn't too manic crowdwise.

Elton John 1st July Pairc Ui Chaoimh- was a prevlidge to see such a legend live. Had a ticket originally for the 3Arena shows which were postponed over the years due to Covid and Eltons injury but glad I got a refund and went to this show instead. The stage itself was amazing and Elton was in fine form. Even though its pricy I would recommend going to see him on any of the remaining dates on the tour. Sadly too much out of my budget.

Rod Stewart 18th Nov 3Arena-another gig bought on a whim and enjoyedable night. These acts are timeless and really great too see

WWE Clash At The Castle Cardiff 3rd Sep- event itself was mediocre but it was a brilliant weekend. City was buzzing with Wrestling fans aswell as plenty of parties/conventions and other Wrestling related events

Ed Sheeran 20th Apr Vicar Street- Wasn't planning on going to see any of the Stadium shows and really lucky too of been on Ticketmaster at the right time and picked up a ticket to this 'extra show' (jumped on the bandwagon but im not the only one in Ireland too do it tbh). Good atmosphere and he sounded great. I'm doubtful I'll see such a 'big artist' in an intimate setting again

All in all great year, all full value for money (few hiccups with seating at Garth Brooks etc).

Roll on 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit / His Lordship - Olympia

Dinosaur Jr - Vicar Street

Pavement - Vicar Street

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Gilla Band - ATN - Friday Incendiary Noise Rock influenced by the sound of mid 80s Sonic Youth.

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - ATN Sunday. The Australian psych rock surf band's Irish debut.

Third place Pixies GIAF/EP and Fontaines DC EP in a joint position.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Thee Oh Sees - Button Factory

Lightning Bolt - Whelans

Earthless - Whelans

Think i did 40 gigs this year and three festivals.

@bodhrandude King Gizz played The Olympia in 2018.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Sunday 1st May, Brixton Academy...Scooter!

Saturday 30th July, Andersons Sligo...Host! (Ghost tribute band, Sligo whiplash festival)

Friday 2nd December, 3 Arena Dublin...Scooter (again!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Sparks, Vicar Street

Elton John, Páirc Uí Chaoimh

St. Vincent, Fairview Park

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭desk tidy

Roísin Murphy, Glastonbury

King Gizzard, ATN

The Cure, 3 Arena

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Phishwax

Pavement - VS

Jake Xerxes Fussell - Bello bar

Lankum - VS

Special mention to Nick CaVE at ATN. Special gig

Post edited by Phishwax on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Public Service Broadcasting in the Olympia

Rolling Blackouts in Vicar Street

Pavement in Vicar Street

Honourable mentions to Big Thief, Fontaines, the Cure and Sigur Ros.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,360 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Nightwish at the 3 Arena

Hans Zimmer at the 3 Arena

Within Temptation & Evanescence at the Hallenstadion, Zurich

Honourable mention to Belinda Carlisle at Cork Opera House.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

Snarky Puppy - National Stadium

Nick Mason - Convention Centre

St. Vincent - Fairview Park

Strange one was Emma Ruth Rundle (St. Ann's Church) who started off absolutely stunning the place in to pin drop silence but then had a bit of a breakdown and it just felt wrong by the end. Her issues are well documented.

@Ultimate Gowlbag - I was pleasantly surprised by Perturbator - popped along with my brother who also had high praise for Devin Townsend.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Taylor Hawkins Tribute, Wembley

Reg Dwight, Swansea.com stadium

Queen + Adam Lambert, AO Arena, Manchester

and an honourable mention for Flash!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Primavera Barca

Arcade Fire - 3arena

Alt -J - Olympia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

Fontaines DC - iveagh gardens

Liam Gallagher - knebworth

Roisin murphy - Olympia

honourable mentions to

Paulo nutini - olympia

arcade fire - 3 arena

Duran Duran - st Anne’s park

hella mega tour - marlay park

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Genesis - 02 London

Nick Mason - Convention Centre

Porcupine Tree - Wembley Arena

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

Roisin Murphy - Olympia

Saint Vincent- Fairview Park

Foals - Fairview Park

• Registered Users Posts: 28 you_talking_to_me

Arcade Fire opening night of world tour at 3 Arena. Will he? Will she? Will they, even?

Macy Gray at The Button factory- Special special night. What a woman !

Damien Dempsey next week at Vicar Steeet for the annual Christmas shin dig! Always a great sing song!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

1. Tool - 3 Arena

2. Sharon Van Etten- Vicar St

Tied 3rd. Amyl & the Sniffers -Olympia

Dinosaur Jr. - Vicar St

Honourable mentions- Frank & Walters and Jemma Hayes - Cleeres Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Arcade Fire - 3Arena (maybe second night)

Sigur Ros - 3Arena

Simple Minds - 3Arena

Trend here...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

GoGo Penguin Théâtre Maisonneuve, Montreal 1st July

Sharon Van Etten - Cork Opera house 23rd June

Joan as Police Woman - Dolan's Limerick 8th April

Honourable mentions:

Amyl and the Sniffers - Art Museum, Reykjavik 4th November, Orla Gartland - Dolan's Limerick 15th July

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

I did manage to see Amyl and the Sniffers twice this year - and Fontaines DC in diffferent venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Macca - Glasto

Arcade Fire - The Point

Confidence Man - St Anne's Park

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TagoMago

Pavement - Vicar Streeet

BADBADNOTGOOD - Brixton Academy

Caribou _ Iveagh Garderns

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

1. The Rolling Stones @ Anfield, Liverpool
    2. Roger Waters @ Madison Square Garden
    3. Gary Numan @ Olympia Theatre