Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EO Pro Mini - Sudden issues

Options
  • 12-12-2022 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Has anyone else started getting problems with their EO Pro Mini charger?

I'm not sure if the cold weather is affecting it possibly.

It started flashing red on Saturday and after a few resets nothing happened.

On Sunday we did another reset and it started pulsing blue (ready to charge). Left it charging overnight and while the car is charged to over 90%, the charger itself is back flashing red again.

A bunch of resets and it isn't working still.

I called the tech helpline but it's 5-7 days before the case even gets escalated to a team that can sort out an engineer which is frustrating given it cost us 26 euro to charge from about 20-70% at a local charger.

Anyone else started having issues, and could it be the cold, or likely a coincidence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Can you use the granny-lead in the meantime? Should be good for about 18kW over the 8hours at 10A, or is 20% to 70% the normal daily consumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

For that particular charge we needed it quick, but that's a good point, I completely forgot we could do that as we have never had to use it before.

Thanks! :)

Any insight into whether the weather might be affecting it? I guess we won't know for another week!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It started flashing red on Saturday

Is it 5 short flashes and then a pause and then 5 more flashes?

Could be low voltage.

What car have you got? I think there are known issues with it and some VW's so could be something there too, but probably one of the above errors.

It's 3 red flashes, at least it was on last check.

We have an Ioniq 5. Has been fine for the best part of a year, just started this weekend.

Pretty frustrating that it's going to take up to a week before it even gets escalated to someone who can get a technician out.

3 flashes is an earth leakage issue. That usually indicates that there is moisture in the cable or connector, but can also be a fault on the vehicle too. Check the state of the pins in the plug and dry it off well, also checking the cable for damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had an EO Mini that died due to water ingress about a year ago after some really heavy driving rain.

It might be worth popping the cover off (after isolating it first, of course!) and taking a look, just prize the little plastic covers off the four holes on the front and the four plastic screws are exposed. Take note not to overtighten them when you replace them, they only turn so far.

It wasn't obvious how the water got in, but there was also considerable water ingress in the the isolator switch which was higher up on the wall above it the I suspect the water got in via the SWA cable into the EO Mini from below.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sounds like installers rushing the cover on with a non-tourqued screwdriver, squishing the grommits and thereby losing the IP rating

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

It's probably that and non-compliant mounting where the backing material isn't level and one side of the box gets pulled into the wall too much leaving a gap. I'd be putting it on a very flat back-board of some type.

Yours looks like it siphoned the water from the isolator and filled up about 2 cms!!

The screws aren't normal screws, they're nylon screws that only turn a limited amount. If you tried to over tighten them you'd only succeed in completely stripping the cross heads.

Yes, I have a video of the water dripping out between the SWA cable and the gland on the box! There's probably not a lot of air space between the conductors and the outer sheath but probably enough to either allow the water in the isolator to siphon into the box or else be drawn through by capillary action.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

No, it was just the EO Mini I was referring to. The isolator has normal screws, one top and one bottom, so a possibility I suppose.

I don't think it's the vehicle because we charged it at a public charger and at a neighbours house since we have been having issues, and there was no issue at all.

I don't really feel comfortable messing about with the unit itself either.

It's very strange that it was broken for about 24 hours, and then I did another reset on the Sunday and it worked, only to stop again after car was nearly charged.

Doesn't matter how many resets we do now, it just flashes red 3 times - and this is without any cable or car plugged in.

Randomly today (just like last Sunday), I've switched it on and the light has turned blue.

I'm going to test the charging soon and see if it shuts off and goes red before 100%

I'm sure the Sunday thing is just a coincidence, but I do wonder if the fact it's gotten a bit warmer today might have helped. Lets see in a few hours!

It's commonly a sign of water ingress. I'd bet it will happen again on or just after a wet/damp day.

...but glad to hear that it's working.

I'm still going to get someone out to look at it, but yeah, glad it's back working.

Fine yesterday and today.

The only thing that's changed is the cold has gone.

It's been absolutely chucking it down yesterday and this morning and all looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hi all - old thread but similar issues.

Was going on holiday and plugged out EO and powered down for holiday

Came back a flashing blue light (this should be normal)

Car sees the cable plugged in - but no charging.

Tried turning off both main feed and feed to smart box

I'm beginning to think the charger was powered down too long and has lost software memory ?

Any ideas welcome - out of warranty period , is there a local EO / Irish expert / service available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Did you have any more issues in the end?

My charger went down to 12A one night, then the following night the LED was flashing red 3 times. Turned it off but no luck after two nights.

Light was blue today but in the 30 minutes since plugging in it only started at 31A and is down to 22A now. The previous night I had an issue it just kept getting slower and slower.

No word back from my installer today. Only installed last August.

I understand it's -4°C at the moment but no issues charging last Winter.

I didn't until it got cold again, not working right now :)

If you manage to get something sorted would you mind updating? I'm waiting to hear back from my installer, presumably need an electrician to have a look. Then figure out if it was installed improperly or waterproofing failed!

Maybe the fusebox, who knows!

Charging started at 9A tonight, picking up from where it left off last night but charge is slowing down by the minute.

• Advertisement

Installer was out to have a look, didn't say what the issue was but they rang EO and straight away they said they'd send a new charger. I'll get it in the post and contact the installer once it arrives.

Charger has worked ok the last two times I've used it now that the freezing temps have gone but obviously can't be ignored, especially as Feb/March are typically the properly cold months.

Advertisement