Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Toptracer at Halpenny Dublin Airport Range

• 11-12-2022 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

I'm a regular user of the Halpenny range beside Dublin Airport. Dropped in yesterday as courses all closed with the frost. New price list up which I enquired about to be told all the bays are fitted with Toptracer! Sure enough all 20 or so indoor bays fitted with touch screens and Toptracer Range software.

Various programs available and you can login and download an app to see your stats, compete with pals etc.

Will take time to get used to it but seems great fun.

Post edited by billy3sheets on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Would take the readings with a pinch of salt though, have found them to be inaccurate at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redhill

Are you sure it’s not Toptracer driving range software and not Trackman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I've tried it at Palmerstown Estate and its quite good. Makes you take your time instead of just whacking the ball.

What I do want to try soon is the KClub Golf World https://www.kclub.ie/k-golf-world.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

You're right @redhill . I've corrected the post and topic. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redhill

How much extra are the ball prices?

• Advertisement

I think e12 for 100 balls. Was e9 for 100 previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

That's not too bad at all. Last time I checked Palmerstown I think it was €18 for 90 balls which seemed a little on the steep side. I'd expect to pay a bit extra for the use of the technology but that just seemed a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm looking forward to trying this! What would be most useful to me would be data on my swing path - am I coming up / down on the ball and am I coming from out to in. I don't need a machine to tell me I'm not coming from in to out.

I fear though it will just encourage me to swing harder.

It's not as complex as and doesn't have the same level of data as the Trackman systems you get fitted on.

Ball speed, distance and a trace of the shot path.

Can't really comment on accuracy but it seemed reasonable for the one session I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭willabur

given its range balls you are hitting also, taking the numbers to the course would be highly questionable

It would be useful for dialing in consistency with your scoring clubs. I use a rapsodo purely for this purpose, haven't accurately been able to bring those numbers to the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭benny79

What I found - Toptracer in the spawell I hit a lot further than I would do on course. Like nearly 2 clubs if Im swinging well.. Never seen these numbers on the course even in height of summer. 7i was going 170 yards on some hits.

Trackman in Palmerstown GC I hit my irons way less than normal like I was only hitting my 7i 125/130 yards

I have the PRGR monitor and these seems to be really close to my on the course numbers 7I being 145/150 yards.

Take from that what you want.

I think they add on 10% or something to mitigate the effects of the range balls.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

They don’t add on anything in top tracer, it’s a camera system tracking the exact path of the balls against the calibrated distances from the bay mat into the range. Very good value compared to the bays at spa well, just a couple of euro extra. It’s exactly right also, as in the exact distance the range ball goes is what it reports. Very easy to check that with a laser against the flag distances there, it can’t really be wrong except on how far the ball rolls after it hits the ground. Whether it’s how far you hit a premium ball in flat calm, summer warm conditions is a different thing altogether !

it’s causing the lads there a pain though with people claiming it’s wrong and they hit it a lot further than it’s saying etc. the other day it was 0C, into a stiff cold breeze probably knocking 15 to 20% off carries, just like it would on the course. The balls are quite good there so generally not making a major difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm 99% sure that there is a setting in TopTracer to normalise distance, which adds 10% to your hit with a range ball.

You can switch it on and off from the display screen.

Certainly is the case in the spawell

• Subscribers Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

never seen that, not sure why they would set it so high either as generally range balls are pretty ok now distance wise, it’s spin they lack. Are you sure you aren’t getting the ‘flat carry’ v ‘total distance’ setting mixed up?

I'm pretty sure Peter lawrie said they do it on the newstalk podcast. Because they don't go as far by about that much.

Can't find a definitive answer, but a bit of googling seems to suggest 20% adjustment for normalisation of distance is applied by the toptracer system

I find my distances in Spawell are much further than in real life and thats with the 10% button for normalisation switched off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Aren’t the TopTracer bays on the second level there ? That alone will give you extra carry distance.

• Advertisement

Yeah. would it though? Like Im nearly hitting 2 clubs further on a good day.

Would definitely make a difference Benny, also, hard to feel what wind may be blowing when in the bays.

You should be able to get reasonable gauge from the distance markers anyway, there are plenty of them out in the spawell

Yeah but when I was using them I had my PRGR as well an that was give me distances closer to what I hit on course. Suppose that doesn't probably that in height and wind. Interesting one.

Yeah, the PRGR is really a predicted value based on the strike alone, the toptracer is based on cameras tracking the ball as far as I know

Went to Halpenny last night, its great... really enjoyed the session and playing the games.

The numbers on mid to short irons seemed pretty accurate but the driver was way off. I nailed a couple of drives which were at least 230 or so in the air and the computer was telling me it was topping out at 180 or 190. All other clubs seemed bang on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I went over xmas and really liked playing the mini game. top tracer 30 or something like that. 30 shots and the computer set out the shots.

One thing I noticed is that when it give you pitches in of say 60-70ish yards. it's hard to get the distance control right without a visual. (But this practice can only help with that range!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,600 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

18 euro for 90 balls ......jaysus , golf and the world has gone mad....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yep. I thought it was a bit on the pricey side myself.

Here it is from the website....

If thats with the top tracer its actually good valve as its €20 in Spawell for large bucket an hr on Toptracer

• Advertisement

halpenny was just 12 euro for a large basket and no time limit... folks lining up outside just to get down

Advertisement