Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Box office flops of 2022

• 11-12-2022 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭

Disney/Pixar animation isnt having a good year taking up the 1 and 3 slot, they didnt even bother marketing Strange World and has lost the studio $140m. Some of the other you could have spotted a mile off. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at their autopsy meetings

https://www.themarysue.com/biggest-box-office-bombs-of-2022/

1. Strange World. (Disney)
    2. Moonfall. (Lionsgate) ...
    3. Lightyear. (Disney Pixar) ...
    4. Amsterdam. (20th Century Studios) ...
    5. The 355. (Universal Pictures) ...
    6. Cyrano. (MGM) ...
    7. Bros. (Universal Pictures) ...
    8. The Bob's Burgers Movie. 
    9. The Northmen
    10. The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent

She Said should be on that list somewhere too

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Only one I saw was moonfall. And that was on a flight. It was so bad as to be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Any website that calls itself The Mary Sue can't be taken serious.

The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent was a flop?

That was definitely a limited cinema release film and was he expected to be a massive hit in the first place.

I thought it was a great fun myself and I'd be very surprised with it's $30m budget if doesn't end up being quiet profitable over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Unbearbale Weight.... is the funniest film I have seen in a long time. I don't know if it will go on to make lots of money, with free streaming available these days. But I do think it wil go on to be a guilty pleasure for many people. Even just thinking about it now, I think I'll throw it on this evening. That scene where they are high is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Was wondering - Why didn’t Pixar market strange world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its not whether the films were good or not, just in box office terms. Ive only seen 2 on that list, Moonfall, obviously rubbish and The Northman which was grand 6ish out of 10 on my scale

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

With streaming services I don't think box office is the only gauge anymore, Disney could have bumped their numbers a bit by leaving them in cinema only for a while. There's also movies like Batgirl that never got released missing from the list.

good point with films not even released (they were so bad lol?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Mav11

Watched the Northman last night. I’m not surprised that it’s on the list. Brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have seen 5 on that list...only one of them (the northmen) in the cinema.

The Bobs Burgers movie was a joy but it has a limited audience (especially outside the US) I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Started to watch Amsterdam with great hopes. They were soon dashed and I found something better to do after about half an hour of it. Its not terrible but really not my type of entertainment.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's 100% relevant and especially with regards The Northman; cos while I'd have to confirm the source, I'm fairly sure the studio reassessed the film's success simply based on a strong steaming performance, after good word of mouth post that disappointing box office. It failed at the box office but won out on streaming.

Fact is, "box office flop" means nothing anymore, not least because it's no longer the sole, or even primary, source of potential success. Glass Onion must surely be a box office flop, given it's single week of cinema release ... but we know Netflix have paid Megabucks for streaming rights while marketing and prior success of the first movie means it's going to do fine - but "box office" was probably a technical flop.

Even relative wet farts on the Disney Axis of Entertainment can now find a lease of life as Disney+ material, again making raw box office an archaic source of marking success.

Strange World being abandoned by Disney is weird.

My 8yo bloody loved it, as did all his friends.

Advertisement