Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluke dose for ewes this time of year

Options
  • 08-12-2022 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Firstly am in area bad for fluke with wet ground that will be grazed all winter. Lost a fine hogget ewe last year to suspected fluke, had dosed all prior to the ram joining and left after that, a mistake i won't make again.

They were last dosed on the 20th of October 7 weeks ago, with hoggets getting flukiver and ewes Endofluke. Would i be better going with Endofluke now again as i think it covers all stages of fluke. I read somewhere you need to use a flukicide that targets the immature stage of liver fluke at this time of the year. Will be bringing them in next few days when taking the ram away so plan to treat them then until circa 7 weeks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Packrat

No point in people recommending brand names. Unfortunately you must do your homework on what does/doesn't work in your area.

Fasinex is Triclabendazole as are some others. There is a HUGE problem with Triclabendazole resistant fluke in most hilly and wet areas.

Endofluke is exactly the same drug -> it won't work in many areas.

Maybe your area isn't affected. Local sheepmen would know.

I've not heard of any resistance to closantel yet which is the active drug in Flukiver and in Solantel.

I use this in Autumn and then something like Zanil in February, the point being that an adult stage of fluke dose will be all that's needed then as they'rell be no immature/early immature or eggs left by then.

Zanil also covers rumen fluke. I think it's actually not available this year but there's an alternative with the same drug.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭White Clover

You need to know which fluke you are dealing with first. Is it liver fluke or rumen fluke. It'll be one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

I was just thinking a board should be set up to discuss dosing of sheep.

The father went to the co.op yesterday to get a fluke and worm dose for lambs.

They gave him/he got endospec fluke and worm. Just give a larger dose to do fluke.

Would this be ok to give to sheep before putting them to the mountain

It contains cobalt too. Would you need to dose with cobalt too if using endospec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I think the cobalt in endospec is at a level where the biggest benefit is the company can market it as having cobalt.

No harm in giving a separate cobalt dose along with it and if the lambs are lacking it will be of benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Packrat

Endospec is Albendazole which is more a summer fluke dose.

Not strong or effective enough in winter in any area known for fluke - ie most wet mountains.

Nitroxynil injection would be good from now on or Closantel.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The worm dose in endospec is a white dose. White doses are nearly useless for the majority of sheep farms in Ireland, so if your lambs need a worm dose you need to do a faecal egg count a fortnight after dosing to make sure it has worked

Yea I don't know why he got endospec. That's why I came here to query it.

Is it any good as a fluke dose for ewes

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Dosed the ewes with solantel on the 11th of December, in an area where there is fluke and they are grazing very wet ground since. Will have them in for scanning the weekend and wondering should i dose again as that will be seven weeks. They are due to lamb from the 01st of April about nine weeks away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭148multi

I would leave till end of February unless some are showing signs of acute fluke.

• Advertisement

After dosing the lambs with levacide. Done a fec last week and vet said to dose with that.

How long before I should take another fec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭DJ98

What would be the best product to use to cover ewes for fluke/worms that are only after being bought in and don't know there history?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I took a dung sample from the ewes recently and it showed all clear. I have a handful of ewes who are a bit thinner than the others. Their wool parts in a straight line when you lay a hand on their backs to check condition which I always felt was a sign of fluke. Anyone see similar or understand what I am trying to describe?

I'd ask my vet. Does a dung sample check for both liver fluke and rumin fluke

Yes it will check for the presence of both Liver fluke and Rumen fluke.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

Ya I have the same, ewes look shook and I was sure they would be full of fluke or worms or something but dung samples came back clear 🤷🏻‍♂️….sheep really testing the mental health this year !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

just shows that ewes don't need worm doses, they control the worms themselves.

Yet the number of farmers that dose at mating is stupid and a waste of time, every time you use a worm dose is bringing on resistance, likewise using the ivermectins in ewes, the common worm doses are virtually useless now on a lot of farms because of irresponsible dosing

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭clonagh

Anyone doing any worm reduction testing in lambs? I tried it a month ago and found that Cydectin is still working here, its a little bit of peace of mind. I'll try some of the other products next year.

I didn't do a test but dosed lambs 11th September with Oramec following a disappointing weighing on the previous Saturday. I put them back in the same field for 48 hours and then moved to fresh grass. Weighed again last Saturday and they had done a fantastic thrive. I think the dosed worked very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

What fluke dose would ye recommend for Ewes or find good.

I gave them Flukiver last year and not sure whether I should go with a different one this year or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i usually use Flukiver too in November to January, i think its mature and immature it covers, early immature wouldnt be around from mid octber i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I'm going with a triclabendazole based one. Not sure on the whole switching them for next time round.

Has everyone fluke dosed thier ewes yet? doing mine tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Tileman

Got the second one here by now but we are in wet enough ground esp this year. Used end of fluke last time

I gave Flukiver, my store lambs havent been dosed since September 20th , their always heavy with fluke coming from West Cork. Ill have to do them with tramazole though because ill be killing every 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

dosing mine with Fascionix 34% next week which is formally trodax

Told to go with lefevas diamond. Would that be OK to dose with??

• Advertisement

Advertisement