Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone got their own garage lift?

• 07-12-2022 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously considering getting this https://ige.ie/2500kg-single-post-pacini-lift-2314

My reasoning is as follows

1) I've just made room in a barn so can use it under cover, but don't think floor is good enough to bolt down a two pillar lift.

2) I've got the money for it.

3) My indie mechanic is no longer available (illness) and the only reason I really used him was for jobs that needed a garage lift.

Economics of it are madness (2 old cars so not as mad as just for one car) but I love the idea of just being able to put a car up on a lift anytime I like.

Can anyone help persuade me one way or another.

Funnily the current job that made me think about it, replacing clutch in wifes ford fiesta was fixed in 10 seconds when I looked at the pedal and noticed the link to master cylinder had dropped off - found the old starlock washer on the floor mat. Anyway in no rush but nice to have it before the next "disaster". Uses would include bigger jobs like clutch changes, CV joints and pain in the neck jobs like exhaust changes plus usual routine maintenance.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Looks good and what is the rated at in lifting , ESB powered i assume and moveable is nice.

Would need a solid level floor to use it.

Where is it made as in quality wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Think it might be a chinese with an Italian name but have no proof of that. A bit more research indicates it needs a 16Amp supply. Now it only takes 32 seconds bottom to top so I wonder how many are just plugged into a 13Amp socket and run overloaded for 32seconds? May contact the supplier and ask about that.

Floor in barn is flat concrete were I want to use it but my guess is that there is only about 3 inches of concrete or less and I don't think its strong enough to bolt a two pillar lift to.

I was just surprised to find a supplier in Ireland with a decent looking product at a price that didn't seem outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭mk7r

If you can a better option is to run a strip of 8 inch deep concrete to put a 2 post lift into. That one you linked is handy but the x-brace underneath makes it a total pain for doing exhausts, brake lines and some gearboxes.

The legs are also quite tall so even a slightly low car will struggle to get over the ramps

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

To have my own lift is a lifetime ambition. I have to money just about but no place to put it. So it's on the driveway with a decent jack and stands for me. Best of luck with it

I'd through about the access to the exhaust, less about brake lines. Don't know about gearboxes but would have thought for most front wheel drives it would be OK, rear wheel drive and I can see it might get in the way.

The other side of the coin is that I think a more mobile unit would be more saleable if it doesn't get enough use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭oceanman

how stable would it be if you really had to hang out of something stubborn like a seized nut ect? i think i would rather something bolted to the floor.

I'd already thought of that. I was thinking of adding an additional support in that case. I was thinking of cutting a few lengths of 4x4 timber and putting a prop under any part I was levering on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

My old man put a 2 post lift in the garage at the homeplace 5 years ago. The floor wasn't think enough so we had to dig out a square where the lift was going and put in a thicker concrete pad. We got a Pacini 2 post lift fitted. Once you have one you'll ask how did I ever do car repairs without it. We did plenty of jobs down on the floor before that with jacks and stands but the lift is a god send in comparison.

just remember some cars with lowered suspensions the legs and pads wont slide underneath and to measure car and height of legs first

I've no intention of doing any work on the car of our local boy racer with his wrapped and lowered 06 Astra :-)

However I've used scaffolding boards in the past to make up ramps so not a problem to change the height either side with a couple of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,492 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I dunno about 1-post lifts, you've only got one physical lock-out/SPOF on a 1-post. A friend of mine said that 2-post was the minimum for any comfortable level of safety and 4-post was ideal as you can lock all 4 supports.

You'd often see 2-posts coming up for sale for reasonable prices, I'd be hanging on for one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭JP 1800

I have looked at those before but was concerned with stability, when I had a larger rented unit I used a 2 post which was excellent, however when I built my own workshop at the back of the house I installed a scissor lift. The benefit of the scissor lift is that you can open the car doors. Also because I have counter sunk the lift I do not have clearance issues. You can also get floor mounted models which spread the weight so can use on thinner concrete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭mk7r

A lift is not super useful for fwd gearboxes IMO but yes it would be fine for that.

They sell probably 1000 2 post lifts for every one of those so I'd say resale would be a struggle as very few people would choose one over a 2 post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

2 post or scissor lift is the way to go

Place beside us went thru many scissors ramps as the heavy jeeps and suvs made them go sideways but they were limited in height with a low ceiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Does a scissor lift not rule out exhaust and underbody work?

Depends how the lift is designed but most lift the car up on the sills so the underneath of the car is free to work on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

If you have a barn would an idea of digging a pit be a better option, would take up less space if anything else?

• Advertisement

Drainage!!! I don't want a swimming pool. I'm in a low lying area that floods and there is a spring that comes out from one side of the barn, but yes it had crossed my mind.

Still just toying with the whole idea a Pivot Lift is another and I'd be interested in any comments on them, this sort of thing https://www.craigmoreonline.ie/sealey-portable-pivot-car-lift-1500kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭oceanman

dont think i would trust getting under that yoke to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

The manufacturer recommends - "always use suitably rated axle stands before getting under a vehicle"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭zg3409

No but it uses the wheels typically to lift so you can't take any of the wheels off. Depending on type and size of car it may not use the wheels or you can pack up and still lift using sills.

Nearly everyone says go for 2 post lift and brand new car work out better value due to cost of refurbishing a used one and cost to repair if it brakes.

They may need a small foundation which you can do yourself and most people get a crowd to come and install it. The posts and arms can take up quite a bit of room and you may end up tripping over the arms and moving cars around a lot.

Sometimes you may know a friendly mechanic or hobbies who may allow you to use their lift or do work on the cheap. You would need a lot of work to justify the price.

I have driven up on scaffolding planks and some places made 2 wedge shaped ramps out of concrete for DIY exhaust work or washing under car. You can see some designs for wooden ramps etc. Main thing is to be 200% sure car won't fall even if you are shaking it mad say trying to undo wheel nuts. Even axle stands can jump out if car is shaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭JP 1800

A scissor lift uses the jacking points or sills to lift the car. You are referring to 4 post lifts which the vehicle is driven onto and uses the wheels to support the load. Also depending on the type of scissor lift, the entire underside is unobstructed. I have used mine to do exhaust work, change gearboxes, brake lines etc. the only downside to my lift is that it is a midrise, due to the height restriction in my garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭armstrongracer

There really is a case for a "men's shed" type thing where a group get together and rent garage space with a lift and form a club. I'm a more than competent mechanic and post-covid have had some really bad and costly experiences with garages (think quite a few of the eastern European mechanics didn't come back) Have to replace my DPF and it can only be done with a lift as front subframe has to be dropped, tried to rent garage space with a lift before Christmas to no avail, possibly an insurance thing. Gonna have to shell out money again to people I don't trust to do a better job than me. If I had a garage at home I'd certainly consider building a pit.

It really depends on the lads you renting with. I heard plenty of horror stories of people bringing everyone anyone to the shed,stuff going missing like tools,parts etc. In theory it's a good idea but I'm not sure I'd have enough trust in it

I am a member of a men's shed type group. We have our own building with workshop, lathe, CNC machine etc. We have a double height roller shutter for vehicle access.

We don't have a lift but we could get one subject to cost etc.

Membership is 45 euro a month with 24/7/365 access near red cow. Open night this Saturday. Generally we would not like vehicles left on site overnight.

I got access to this recently at a friend's. I don't know exact cost but it's more intended for regular use and installed by suppliers. The concrete foundation was diy based on advice from lift company. Often new can work out cheaper in long term than dismantling,moving and maintaining a second hand one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement