Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TAMS solar panel grant

Options
  • 06-12-2022 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I just spotted an article dated today in the ifj that 60% grants of upto 90k will be made available from January 2023........ Wonder will this be a good time to get into solar. Will the esbn pay a feed in tariff if your over producing, it could be a great way to make an investment to make extra income if your not a big consumer of electricity once the units are paid for.........

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I bumped into a man at the ploughing who was selling solar panels, or was a solar consultant, something like that.

He said always start at the end: talk to the ESB first and ask (1) how much they'll pay for your electricity and (2) how long of a contract they'll give you where that price is fixed. That is, how much are you guaranteed before what they pay you could drop?

If that adds up for you, then you can start to talk to solar providers and look at TAMS grants. As far as I know, getting a TAMS grant affects whether or not you can get paid for selling surplus electricity to the ESB. Just something else to check out.

I'll be looking at solar panels myself in the New Year. It's possibly a source of income but there's a few bits and pieces to check out before any money is invested in them.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭fulldnod

As it stands u will not be paid for excess electricity if u go the tams route, I don't think this will change in tams 3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭fulldnod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm unsure of the point in actually doing it if you can't sell it back to the national grid and you can't use it domestically. The 40% installation you'd still have to pay would be way more expensive than just continuing to pay for power as normal. Am I missing something here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

Wondering the same myself

Sure there's feck all benefit if that's the case.......I'd consider it if I could sell back to the grid

That way it might eventually pay for itself + state at least gets less draw and maybe even a net contribution to the grid in some cases for each person takes them up on it....was that not the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

With the TAMS its probably only viable if you have a summer load and use batteries, so dairy, chillers and milking machine when solar is best

It's a real shoot yourself in the foot move alright, even if one could use it domestically if the shed was on the same grid as the family home for example. But this way only really leaves it as an option for a select few.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was listening to a lad from the IFA I think on Midlands 103 a couple of weeks back and he said that the limitation of not being allowed use it for domestic purposes is gone, or going shortly. Then you can use the power generated from the panels for the farm and house, and avail of TAMS. Plus the limitation around selling excess is expected to be lifted too.

The one thing he did say was size the system for the amount of power you use. The payback time is exponentially shorter if you use all the power generated yourself vs selling excess.

Podcast of chat on Midlands 103 (12:40 in)

Well that's definitely good news, it's something I'd definitely look into now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

Yes I think the piece in the ifj said it was looking like you could fit them on the farm house as well as sheds, I've a fairly new house that uses electric (air 2 water) so I'll def be interested if it's a thing 1. you can export excess to the grid, and be paid or at least get credits for winter months when the solar would not be producing a whole lot,and 2. If it can be used for the farm house as I wouldnt have much use on the farm alone bar a few l.e.d lights and evey now and then a few electric tools.

You won't be allowed use them in your house if they're part of the farm supply.

You can't have two metered supplies in the one building for safety reasons. Electrician could come, isolate the power at the main switch board and then come across a live cable.

Not even in the national grids remit to allow such a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

We have grant approval and signed up for solar panels with tams, we only have 1 metre in the dwelling house..the panel companies engineer was out and nobody raised it as an issue yet anyway.

The guy selling it was using the fact it would be used during the day for powering the house as a positive. I'm sure he was just making the sale but anyway its too late for us to turn back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Fair play to you, allot of us are thinking of it, you’re making it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I actually paid the deposit on them November 21 believe it or not, but I hadn't the shed built and since the shed is finished, I'm finding it hard to get them to come and install them, whether they are fierce busy or what I don't know.

Dunno whether they will be a good job or what but they have tax benefits in that you right off the capital in year 1, also my parents are around during the day so hopefully they will be able to utilise the solar with a bit of planning for cooking, washing, dishwasher etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I don't get you mean by this, my dwelling is fed from meter in milking parlour. Why would you need a second meter?

If it's fed from that same meter that's sound. But if you have a separate meter in the house to the one on the farm you can't cross supply

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭SodiumCooled

The farm dwelling house is now eligible for solar under TAMS. I see nothing to say it has to be the same meter as the farm, as if it was then there would never have been anything to stop you feeding of them anyway.

To me this means you can either install on sheds (connected to the farm meter) and on the house (connected to a domestic meter) or if you want only on the house (domestic meter) and use it just domestically. Unless there are T&Cs that I haven’t seen.

Its not up to TAMS T&Cs, there are ETCI regs. If you have two separate MPRNs you won't be able to cross supply

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Hi, I am not suggesting cross supply, I am suggesting a totally separate install for the house and farm (or only the house and not bother with the farm) since the TAMS now covers the farm house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Is 60% for all eligible farmers- young qualified farmers? And the rest of us 40%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭minerleague

Can you still get solar panels that heat water for house or is it all electricity generating panels now and use electricity for heating etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Your thinking of evacuated tubes. Don't think they are there but you might try seai

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Might be a silly question but would you get the SEAI €2400 grant on top of the TAMS grant?

Not too sure about that one, I would assume no seen as the 60% would be pretty generous but I would be great if it could be used. Another question would be if it would be possible to hook this system up to two separate domestic houses? Or am I being too ambitious? 😂

Don't see how you can feed two seperate houses from the one set of solar as it's tied to the ESB meter. You'd be better off getting two separate grants. Also if you have a seperate meter for the farm then that is the one that is connected to the Solar not the house.

I spoke to my ag planner today, he wasn't 100% but thinks there should be no reason you wouldn't get the SEAI grant if it is being hooked up to the house meter box. He is going to find out for sure but probably won't have an answer till after the Christmas.

I got a quote for 9.2kw of Solar panels and grid tie Inverter on a ground based system where I supply the concrete slab and ducting to the house.

€16k all in. So estimate the slab at €2k it's costing me €18k before grants.

After TAMS that reduces to €6,400. If I get the SEAI grant on top again then that'll reduce it to €4000.

Another new question that I didn't get an answer for but afaik even with it servicing the farm I should get paid for any Electric I feed to the grid.

Yeah I'd assume it would have to be two separate systems. The home house is on the same system as the shed so that would be the main system. The other system would be an (as yet unbuilt) new house that would obviously be on its own connection.

I think it's a no brainer to look farther into this though, and these are all fairly elaborate systems in terms of size and the amount of panels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Whats the story with certifying the roof to take the panels.is it left up to the installer to acess the roof.are they putting them on timber roofs,12 x3 s and 6x3 s with railway rail uprights

• Advertisement

Some info was released by the dept this week. Seems that the Solar installation contractor can do the TAMs application, you do not need to use an agri advisor.

The contractor is coming out to me next week, the plan is to submit the application and wait the 6 weeks+ for approval. still no info about the seai grant, but I'm going to try and get that one too.

Advertisement