Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6 2013 - Strange noise when in Drive and Reverse

Options
  • 06-12-2022 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

The last couple of weeks , my Audi A6 is making strange noises when I engage Drive or Reverse. Once I put foot on the accelerator noise fades out and disappears. It has been with three different mechanics and they can’t find the problem. NCT was completed 4 weeks ago, and this didn’t come up at all.

Noise sounds like a rattling exhaust or rattling heatshield. When the car is hoisted up on a 2 post, nothing can be seen rattling or nothing is loose.

When it comes to the gearbox(Automatic), gear changes are smooth at butter. Gearbox might be due an oil change though.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When the car is hoisted up on a 2 post, nothing can be seen rattling or nothing is loose.

The problem is though when it's hoisted up are you able to engage either forward or reverse to replicate the condition that makes the sound come?

Sounds to me like when you engage a gear, the revs drop just enough to a point where something is able to rattle/vibrate, but once you put revs back on it's enough to stop the rattle...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Exactly what I was thinking, but cannot see where the noise it coming from. Need to look more into it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If you knew a garage with a pit in the ground, someone could get underneath it while someone sits in the car and engages the gears to replicate the rattle, then the person underneath could prod around and see if they could locate the rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Cheers Andy, this seems like the best option at the moment. I'll keep you 2 posted 😂

Advertisement