Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academy Awards (Oscars 2023)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes implied 5 actors up likely a fight "fighting Irish"

Kimmel was an awful host imho, jokes were flat

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The fighting Irish thing is so ridiculous at this stage, especially considering the sheer outpouring of love and admiration for all the actors who were on the awards circuit this year. The amount of gushing from Americans about how lovely Paul Mescal is, or how charming Farrell is, etc. etc. and yet Kimmel still makes a joke like that and it's seen as somehow relevant?

(I suppose this topic could also feed into the issues some people have with Martin McDonagh pedaling outdated Irish stereotypes without doing anything to question them, which Americans clearly lapped up with Banshees. But that's a conversation for another thread.)

Some people are forgetting we drink an absurd amount of alcohol in ireland, and irish students travel to america and Australia and drink absurd amounts and get hammered drunk and start fights and plenty of them. I have witnessed innumerate. There is a good reason we have this reputation because it has always been happening and probably always will.

I have seen Irish people descend on bars in Italy and literally drink the places dry and have to leave because there is no alcohol left in the place. I have seen the looks of sheer astonishment on the continent that men can drink 20 pints of beer and not die.

If you drive through Dublin on a Saturday night after 11pm anyone you see out on the streets is usually drunk and not walking straight.

There is a reason the Irish are famous around the world for drink, and its because we drink more then everyone else. And with that comes fights and what have you.

So I dont know why people are so sensitive about it. And i’d like to think the Irish have to ability to laugh at ourselves and not take ourselves so seriously. Its one of our better traits. When the Irish are no longer able to handle a bit of banter we can safely say humor is dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm less offended by the intent of the typical American 'drunken / loutish' Irish jokes than I am by the execution of them - so few of them are in any way funny :P The SNL one was a crime against comedy, and Kimmel wasn't much better.

Milhouse yelling 'look out Itchy, he's Irish!' - now that I can laugh at.

Or Kent Brockman: "Ladies and gentlemen, what you are seeing is a total disregard for the things St. Patrick's Day stand for. All this drinking, violence, destruction of property. Are these the things we think of when we think of the Irish?"

Snl’s audience must be pretty small at this stage and Kimmel has made a career out of being as inoffensive as possible and thats why he gets to host something like the oscars in the hope he doesnt offend the many waiting to be offended.

The issue is we Irish are probably the last ones left someone can make jokes about as a culture or race and not get cancelled or called a racist. Im sure many will disagree with me given the way culture and humor has radically shifted the last decade but i think its a pretty damn good trait of a person to not take themselves so seriously and be able to laugh at themselves, or their culture.

• Advertisement

The fact Colin Farrell is sober, and has been publicly very open about that fact, I think says a lot about the level of care taken when coming up with these jokes.

As the post above says, it's not that they're offensive, it's just that they're bottom of the barrel levels of "funny".

There's a difference between making jokes about a people/culture, and making a people/culture the butt of the joke. And that's why all these older comedians keep getting "cancelled" or "given Netflix specials" as some people call it. They can't wrap their heads around the fact that younged people just don't find them funny anymore, and so they cry about cancel culture, and how you can't say anything anymore without being called a racist.

I don't think the logic of "I can't be a full blown racist now so I'll just be culturally insensitive" holds up here either. It's just pure laziness on Kimmel's part. There were a shed load of Irish nominations so it was an obvious thing to joke about. The one about the diverse nominations, with nominees from all 4 corners of Dublin, was pretty good, if factually innacurate. The rest of it was just lazy, repetitive, and not funny.

Not sure i can agree with that. Very fine line between what you are saying in your first sentence, I mean that is an extremely subtle distinction.

I get that people dont like being the butt of jokes. It can be unpleasant, but when something is harmless humor, getting annoyed and offended about it does nobody any good at all especially the person getting offended. Life is hard enough without being over sensitive and stressing yourself out and getting annoyed over such tepid humor.

I hate Kimmell. I think he is as lame as it gets. But his jokes are so tame I find it impossible to be offended by him. He is also not being insidious or patronizing which maybe rile one up more.

There was a lot of people pissed off and upset with the SNL and Kimmel when it is really really harmless stuff and not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭billyhead

McGregor was and probably still is big in America. Maybe that was another reason for Kimmel referring to us as fighters.

There isn't really a thin line though. I mean, yeah, some people are just permanently outraged, but generally speaking a racist joke is a racist joke. Or at the moment transhphobia is rampant among "comedians", and its the same thing. Its about punching down.

I saw someone talk about this in relation to Brooklyn 99, which I thought was a very good example of it. They pointed out how Captain Holt and his husband Kevin allowed there to be a lot of gay jokes in the show, but they were always jokes about being gay, not jokes at the expense of gay people.

To bring it back to the Irish thing, I'm not offended by any of these jokes over the weekend. They're just lazy, and as pointed out, SNL and Jimmy Kimmell aren't exactly the pinnacle of comedy, so it's about what I'd expect from them. There are a section of Irish people who fall into the performative outrage category, and they're probably the same people whose first reaction to all the nominations was to switch on BBC to see if they called anyone British.

• Advertisement

I struggle with the term punching down. To me it means mocking say a mentally or physically disabled person, something cruel.

I mean if someone makes a joke about the irish as a race, I dont accept its punching down, as I feel there is no one above me in the first place to punch down.

But probably getting too far away from film forum talk here into after hours lol.

We can agree Kimmel is lazy indeed!

But that was kind of my point, in disagreeing with your idea that the Irish are seen as a group its ok to joke about because you're not allowed be racist anymore.

Being Irish is not the same as being black, gay, trans etc. etc. So there isn't a direct line from making racist jokes to settling for Irish jokes, was my point.

The idea of punching down applies to any group that is marginalised or oppressed or discriminated against, and if your making them the butt of the joke contributes to the ongoing marginalisation, oppression, or discrimination of that group, then it's punching down. This clearly does not apply to Irish people in 2023, even if it might have in the past.

Anyway..... ratings for this year's ceremony were 18.8 million, which is up 13% on last year, and is a 3 year high. But it's still one of the lowest since they started tracking ratings. 2018 ceremony was the lowest rated at the time, and it had 26 million.

I think some of this year's ceremony was up against The Last of Us season finale, so maybe 18.8 is pretty decent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Indeed, and after last year's insnsity there was also likely a clatter of disingenuous folk looking for something to hang a controversy off this time around; gotta generate those clicks and "engagement" metrics after all.

Kimmel's comments were lazy and if it were any other ethnicity he'd not have touched that joke with a bargepole. Americans still seem to think Irish jokes are the ok brand of prejudice. But I can't find offence in "jokes" that flatulent either, I've seen worse.

The Irish have experienced our fair share of repression vs any group in modern civilization. 800 years of war and oppression from our neighbors where we were shot for speaking our native language etc etc. I have also experienced plenty of racism in business the last 20 years, especially from the English. Blatant, arrogant comments and actions. There is an innate tribalism in humans such that I believe issues of race will never ever go away.

I believe gays and blacks have an even playing field nowadays. (Maybe not Angela Basset 😅) There seems to me equal rights in the western world in recent years. Any even slight hint of anything else is seized upon with immediate effect. The odd things that do happen are part of that tribalism and they get shut down immediately.

Transpeople sure feel marginalized and oppressed. But there is a lot absurdity going on there as well that needs to be rationally debated and mocked too for its absurdity, lest we become idealogical slaves with no rational thoughts at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You seem fairly outraged yourself over something minor.

What am I outraged about?

I don't know how many times I can literally say "I'm not offended, these jokes are just lazy" before it becomes clear that I'm not offended by these jokes?

The rest of my posts tonight have been a back and forth discussion about the general state of comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Good to hear, people are gone soft these days trying to cancel everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,870 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think I hear an awful lot more whinging about cancel culture than I actually hear people trying to cancel things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Just watched highlights of the Oscars there and it just seemed like a weak year all in all. I loved Top Gun Maverick but even a few years ago that would never have been nominated for best picture. And the same could be said for the winner,EEAAO. Austin butler should've won, I think Brendan fraser was good in the whale but I feel it was the sentimental vote. Delighted for ke huy Quan, he really did deserve that award, he was the stand out in that movie. Also noticed that when Jimmy Kinmel was trying to take the pics out of Spielberg and the fablemans, senor speilbergo did not seem happy.

And I cannot believe that lady Gaga didn't win best song. It was clearly the best song and her performance on the night was absolutely incredible. She legit has a set of pipes on her

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This, always.

And like those complaining about "woke", it invariably seems to boil down to a tedious lament people can't punch down / be díckheads anymore.

Post edited by pixelburp on

I fully respect peoples right to an opinion and to follow this ‘new left’ ideology should they wish to, but if not counter balanced, this forum would be dominated by the progressive left leaning posters who talk like this massive cultural shift is something made up and doesnt exist, and if you don’t subscribe to the prevailing opinions of right now you are basically a dick head.

Posts like this are patronizing to say the least, and given you are such an eloquent writer of intelligence you should be able to refrain from such ideological indulgences. It does a great film forum no good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Or to make everything that happens about their grievances. Supposedly Silicon Valley Bank that crashed was because of woke. It’s like a very irritating Tourette's at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Anyone know if "An Irish Goodbye" is available anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's on the rte player, its about 20 mins long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Thanks, the goofey player app does not find it on android tv :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

yep - twas on tv the other night - we have it recorded - gonna watch it tomorrow

If the Spanish drink more then the Irish I am Don Quixote...whats more likely is all the Irish going to Spain increase the drinking stats!

I caught a clip of an Irish talk show where they were debating this the other night and it was very interesting. When American presidents come over the first thing we do is get them a pint of Guinness, we even tried to get the Queen to drink a pint of Guinness. One side argued that how can we expect not to have people stereotype us when we ourselves nationally lean into and highlight drink whenever we can, while the other side was arguing purely that it was offensive to be stereotyped like this, its not nice, and insulting and so on. I find it impossible to ignore the contradictions personally.

• Advertisement

Who are we backing for next year when it comes to Irish interest?

Saoirse Ronan's had a few years off from being nominated. She's got potentially 3 films coming out this year. Blitz, directed by Steven McQueen is the most likely to land her one, although Foe also has Paul Mescal, and is directed by the director of Lion, which got Dev Patel a nomination a few years ago.

Cillian Murphy in Oppenheimer could be in contention, although I'm not sure how often Nolan films get acting nominations.

Fassbender is starring as an assassin in a Fincher film for Netflix. Release date is November, which smells awardsy. He's also in Next Goal Wins, which seems an unlikely call, but Taika Waititi has form at the Oscars, so who knows.

Barry Keoghan could be back, he's got a few things in the pipeline but the only one I'm sure about being released is Emerald Fennel's new one, Saltburn. No idea what it's about but she's won one, and he's clearly well liked.

Oh, and John Carney has a new one coming out. I never think his films are award worthy, but he's had several original song nominations, and Drive it Like You Stole It was robbed, robbed!

Advertisement