Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are these Tissot good value swiss watches ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭H_Lime

The solitary reason why that tissot is that price and not less than half that price is because tissot is written on it. That's my 2c. I would classify that as bad value for what you get consequently. Others may disagree because it has tissot written on it.

I did have a tissot t touch which was good value, highly innovative ABC watch with an integrated design and wasn't a wrist monolith like my suunto elementum, core and observer were.

clear as mud eh?

What about some of the fancier offerings from Orient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I saw Orient, they look nice some of them. I'm looking at a variety of watches, even some Chinese mechanical watches which some are supposedly very good value. I would love a Swiss watch honestly. Tissot Automatics are abit pricey for me right now. I'm sort of a €450 max buyer right now which cripples me to a quartz swiss piece or a jap automatic piece. Nothing great on the black Friday sales showed up which is typical.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

H_Lime, keep your comments to advice please.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Just responding to a pointed comment from a fellow watchaholic Wibbs tbf.

I'm sure we're the very best of friends now.

Would you recommend any tissot?

I'm assuming the mass noun of tissot is sans s and tissot:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Tissot are a great starting point for a Swiss watch . I think them and Hamilton both have great options at under €500.IMHO Tissot bracelets are nicer than Hamiltons but I prefer a Hamilton watch over Tissot . That’s nothing more than a personal preference, both are good quality.

The Tissot powermatic 80 is a good option and the 80hr power reserve is a nice addition.Something like below which is NOS.If you can stretch your budget to an automatic Swiss you’ll notice a big difference from a Seiko 5 but I wouldn’t choose a Swiss quartz over Seiko automatic.

Either way enjoy the search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭breadmond

I wouldn't call Tissot "luxury" but I do think they have some nice watches and are a good entry point to "nice" Swiss watches. I'm a fan of the prx, particularly the smaller version and some of their dressier watches are very nice too.

I wouldn't be a fan of the one you linked but that's personal preference really.

Other places to look around the 450 mark would be orient as mentioned earlier. That Seiko you linked is very nice too imo. If you like homage type watches then definitely check out Chinese brands, San Martin are meant to be really good for the money. I've not tried them out myself as I just don't like homages. For a Chinese brand with more original designs I would recommend Merkur or Sea-Gull

Overall I would say not to get hung up on the Swiss made tag. The rules around what counts as Swiss made are a bit murky so unless you're spending thousands it's likely a lot of you watch came from Asia anyway

Words of wisdom there 100%

Totally concur re Seagull also, a good recommend at your price point Mondeo, my 1963 is a beautiful column wheel chrono and beyond reproach accurate and reliable despite hard use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭griffin100

There are some nice Seiko Samurai on Chrono24 located in the EU (so no duty) in and around your price point. Some are new. I’d take a look at these as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

The Tissot PRX seems a nice watch if you like the styling, sevties Gerald Genta vibe with integrated bracelet. Available in both 80 hr automatic and quartz.

There are a couple of dial colour and strap options available,the navy dial looks the best of bunch to me but I just spotted this teal dial.

Prices at fields.ie seem to be 375 for quartz bracelet, 675 for the automatics. Leather strap bit cheaper.

Good luck with the agony of choice, you'll come to the right watch for you in the end.

The agony of choice:) I like that, or as I call it option paralysis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭lau1247

Their Visodate line looks nice, simple and elegant.

Comes in quarts and automatic

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I love the look of the 36mm blue Seastar diver.

Advertisement