Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De-Industrialisation in Secondary Ec. Activity

Options
  • 29-11-2022 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭

Does any geography teachers look at the deindustrialisation of UK & USA? I starte ddoing a class on it this year in the topic, link it to Brexit and Trump election.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Frostybrew

Our geography teacher covered it back in the early 90s for leaving cert geography. Mainly looking at the UK with a focus on the steel industry. I would have loved if she had taken a look at an Irish context for this subject, and examined the experience of Cork City, as it was an excellent example of a former industrial city in decline, having experienced rapid deindustrialisation in the 1980s. 

Many people in my class would have experienced this process directly as their parents would have worked in Sunbeam, Fords and the others, so it's ironic that it wasn't referenced directly.

It's still an under researched part of our history at a national level. If you want to talk about deindustrialisation, the experience of Cork in the late 20th Century is an excellent place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ah very good, yeah i covered it with the second years in seconday economic activities, the process of factories changing location, i used those examples to link into Brexit and Trump election.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

That might be a bit strange, neither of those countries are members of the EU. How about a look at Deindustrialisation in Italy or even Germany - what political events/currents in those 2 countries would you link it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Is Cork city not a more industrialised country today than it was 40 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Frostybrew

Very different industry. In 1980 it was a more traditional industrial base including shipbuilding, car and tyre manufacture, textiles, and steel. There were four large employers (Ford, Dunlop, Verolme, and Sunbeam) and these all closed in the 80s which devastated the city. These were eventually replaced by the present day employers (Apple, EMC, etc.) but it wasn't until the late 90s that Cork had recovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why italy or germany? students wouldnt have much prior knowledge of those countries, iw ouldnt even have anything much of interest myself on those.

Advertisement