Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can't stop watching videos of cars attempting to cross a flooded road in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I’d love to know how they are gaming the YouTube algorithm, I was getting those suggested for weeks last year. I had to keep selecting ‘don’t recommend again’ until I got all the channels.

If you could figure out what they are doing and copy it, you’d have a very successful channel.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Remember seeing one where it was someone is a little fiat or something like that, and they cut out right at the end but managed to get up the hill a bit at a time using just the starter motor. Doubt they knew what the starter even was but it never occured to me what would happen if you were in gear and the engine didn't start if you stupidly kept at the ignition, as normally it'd start but die straight away with a clunk and you'd not have the key turned constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think the second best approach I've seen is reversing through - the best approach being turning around.

There’s a white Tesla in one of the videos posted in the OP- about 5 min 50 seconds in

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The sense of unease I have watching them is awful. How much this is going to cost them? Has to be in the thousands, right?

• Advertisement

The ones which stop with a clank and jolt almost surely will need a new engine or an engine rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Yes. Once there is white smoke coming out from the exhaust that means there's water in the engine. A petrol may stand a chance, but a diesel engine is most likely done. And they're adding more damage by trying to start it. Taking out an air filter like they do in those of those clips will do nothing.

Besides that though, they're getting the whole interior wet. Unless you strip the whole car apart, you're not getting rid of the dampness and mold. All of that will need to be replaced.

And if you get the interior wet, then most likely there is electrical damage too. You can see it with some of the BMWs in those videos when their lights start flashing.

Most of those cars are a write off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you have to wonder about the psychology of people who proceed to drive through.

if you handed someone 10 or 30 thousand quid, and gave them a choice; wait half an hour and the money is safe, or save them the half an hour wait, but with a say 25% chance of losing the money, they'd look at you like you were nuts if you suggested the latter option to them.

yet it's a similar calculation that a lot of those drivers are making.

The end of this one has to be my favourite. Honestly. What was the guy on the bike thinking I do sort of feel sorry for him. I think I remember reading. He ended up breaking one or both of his legs turns out your knee doesn't like being bent backwards.

From another angle.

And I think at the end of the video it sounds like one of the kids. Shouts the word. "Clown" which makes it more hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You can see him stopped at the other side for the jeep before him, so he waited and then did a u turn to have some distance to speed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,440 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That video of the motorcyclist is different from the others.

It shows someone being seriously injured and there is nothing entertaining in it.

He must have known what might happen when he sped through a river. Honestly, in the circumstances it's hard to feel sorry for the guy.

@OP ya feicer ya, I’m hooked now 😜

A few trucks caught in this series as the water levels very high- also a delicious Range Rover gets towed- saw an S Class fail in another video

A blue Tesla goes through at ease @3.24 in this video

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭KLF

You have to laugh at Chelsea tractor and "off road" jeep drivers thinking it's their time to shine and justify buying such a big vehicle just **** it up as soon as water goes in the air intake. Unless you have a snorkel kit going into something that deep is lunacy.

Even with a snorkel it's still a bad idea, it can be a stinky mistake if the interior or cabin air filter gets soaked and there may be other kind of damage like warped brake discs or electrical components.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

recently discovered rufford also, whats the craic with so many chancing it!

Is that a 202 Cork reg focus at 5 mins 53 seconds?

Edit- it is indeed- wonder what might come up on a car check website for it

Make & ModelFORD FOCUSDescriptionST-LINE 5DR 1.5 TD 120 S6.2 M6 4DREngine Capacity1499

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

One thing that's not entirely clear is if there are any additional warning signs when the relatively benign little stream you see on streetview becomes a one meter plus flood.

• Advertisement

The road sign says “road closed” - there’s also an indicator depth stick in the middle of the ford indicating depth of water. Between that and dozens of people with cameras waiting for you to fail I’m not sure how much more warning one needs 😀

You mean additional signs beside wrecked cars with hazards on waiting for recovery? I think I saw a water level indicator.

LE:

Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/q2ZnUMf2jvHVpyGQ6

Does a dose of madness enter their minds as they approach? I’ve see about 4 fairly new range rovers or discos get caught, an S class Mercedes, countless 2-3 year old SUVs whose owners thought they were invincible just because they were raised up a few inches more than a saloon car, dozens of small cars, a domestic bin lorry, countless vans and trucks - yes there were bangers too but a lot of very new cars - it’s bizzare why you would put your pride and joy through that water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭cml387

My question has been answered. By the time you get to the flood (were there no previous warnings) you would not necessarily know how deep the water was. However if there are road closed signs then any lingering sympathy I have for the stranded is much eroded.

One had to laugh at the bloke complaining about being filmed. He seems t have succeeded in making a dick of himself twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What kind of an idiot was doing the towing. That poor Clio :( . I hope his insurance covered it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yep, a permanent road closed sign (as opposed to some temporary road works effort) as you approach the ford- can’t miss it- and with the water then a few yards away it’s very obvious why the road is closed.

That guy was such an idiot- had he kept his mouth shut he would have been just another idiot , probably never identifiable and quickly forgotten- now he’s famous forever more and no doubt the butt of jokes from work mates and friends.

A 1 year old car (video uploaded 11 months ago) - insanity

At some point there was an angry farmer trying to stop this spectacle, probably because he fears the road will be permanently closed and it's very likely a road that's used by locals with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its basically Britain in a metaphor, or these days, a meme.

I.e., a lot of stupid people attempting to do the same thing over and again and expecting a different result. Except for a few driving Range Rovers, who as always will be grand.

• Advertisement

Nope - not even range rovers safe or discos either- I’ve seen a few nearly new ones wrecked

Advertisement