Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We have a problem, I think!

• 26-11-2022 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Hp Victus 15L has been ordered paid for and is due for delivery soon.

I can't seem to post a link to it but it's the first gaming desktop called Victus on the Currys pc world site €899.

My missus assumed that my 12 year old knew what he wanted so went ahead without me knowing.

Now big problem is that I have a 6800Xt here, as a upgrade to whatever pc he gets but I'm not sure it will fit or even if enough PSU is there in the Victus (no wattage in specs on website).

Now do I cause a major kerfuffle and get the order cancelled or returned or do I try to buy more bits in order to make it fit?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This one I presume:

https://www.currys.ie/products/hp-victus-15l-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-gtx-1660-super-512-gb-ssd-10240279.html

8GB is minimal, 16GB would be strongly advised.

However, it's a 350W PSU is nowhere near sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Many thanks, that's the one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A 6800XT can pull 300W on its own, so the PSU is a show stopper. It's a proprietary HP size one, so a normal ATX won't do.

What PSU do I buy?

It appears to have a oddball mb connection

You need another HP one, they apparently do a 500W one for that model, but I've no idea where you'd find one.

• Advertisement

Will start looking, Thanks.

There may be another issue with the card size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG74KUj8p-s

According to that attempt to upgrade it, there's very little room for a GPU. It's looking doubtful a 6800XT will fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's looking like at this stage a different PC might be the way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Maybe a second hand custom built PC is the way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Jon Doe

I'd return the machine if I were you... Just make sure not to scratch anything: neither the machine nor the packaging...

https://www.eccireland.ie/online-shopping-how-to-cancel-and-return-an-order/

Pretty sure this is a EU rule concerning online shopping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Just return the PC and start over.

Returning the pc world pc, just bought a much more useful pc from Harvey Norman. Asus ROG Strix G15 Ryzen 5 | 16GB | 512GB

999 reduced from 1400 black Friday.

Looks like it will fit the graphics card I have 500w is a bit weak but it's standard atx so can swap it out if Ness and sell the bits I don't want.

• yea I was gonna say that HP thing is a waste of money.

The ASUS PC will be much better (and non proprietary MB etc so much easier to upgrade in future).

Got a link to it? But it sounds like a much more practical choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Interested to hear how you get on returning something to PC World?

Wake me up when it's all over.

It hasn't been collected yet from pc world so I just gotta cancel online hopefully.

You had me worried for you for a bit ;-)

Assume you haven't paid?

Paid online by card, so can cancel.

• Advertisement

1660ti now on adverts @€180

New pc working perfectly with my upgraded card, gonna be a happy son come Christmas Day!

Many thanks again to all that helped.

I done a few 3dmark tests on the demo version of 3dmar

Night raid demo scores:

Original pc = 9599

New pc = 42696

New pc with new card = 54000

So big improvement!

Turns out my new card was a 6700xt not a 6800xt, all these numbers are so similar that I got confused.

Still, it should play most games just fine, if you don't take it beyond 1080/1440 resolution...

That's a bit depressing to read. I ran Night Raid on my 3090 and only scored 46000 and change. My old CPU is holding it back more than I suspected. I had already planned to look at a replacement once the new Intel HEDT was revealed, but this underscores how much it's lagging behind.

Never mind that synthetic benchmark nonsense... how well does it play the games you want to play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Homelander

How well games run isn't always a great metric.

For example if I have a 144hz monitor with a Ryzen 2600 and 16GB of RAM, and then replace an older card with an RTX3080.

Will I get better framerates at higher graphical settings? Yes.

Will I see the full benefit of the RTX3080? No.

Hence in that case, it would have made far more sense to get say, a 3060Ti, as you may be only seeing 3060Ti levels of performance from the 3080 due to bottlenecking anyway.

This happens a lot and people don't realise. It is effectively wasting money unnecessarily.

Not if you can't afford to upgrade the whole machine in one fell swoop... if you have to upgrade one component at the time, you have to put up with such problems every now and then.

• Advertisement

Ok update. Pc world refunded my card in full no problem.

Harveynorman pc was a big success on Christmas day.

Since then I have swapped out the power supply to a new Corsair Rm750x, installed a Kracken X63 cooler, ordered a be quiet 500fx case, bought but not installed yet a Msi x570s max wifi motherboard up graded ram to 32gb Corsair vengeance and added a internal USB hub.

Sorted!

Now what do I upgrade next?

Now what do I upgrade next?

If you've done all that build don't upgrade.

Not even worth a cpu upgrade? I need spare parts to rebuild the bought pc in order to resell.

I made the mistake of selling the graphics card and memory that came with the Harveynorman pc so looking for cheap replacement on those and a better cpu for rebuilt pc.

I meant if you can do all that then why are you not building?

I thought that selling the components would be enough to offset the price of replacements and it was but now I have gone farther than I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I'm not sure what cpu you have now but if you don't really feel you actually need an upgrade you might consider rather than a gpu for the cannibalised PC and cpu for the new one maybe put a 5600G in the messy one along with some not too cheap ram (as it will be using it for the onboard graphics). Or you could pickup an even cheaper cpu second hand, like it looks like CEX have a 3000G for €50 or a 3200G for €72. NGL I really don't know what would get you the best resale now though.

Ok full specs of rebuilt pc

X570S Tomohawk max wifi

Corsair Vengeance 32 gb (4x8gb) 3200 mhz

Corsair RM750X

Radeon 6700XT

Ryzen 5 5600X

Kraken x63

Nzxt internal usb hub

Be quiet pure base 500fx black atx argb 4 preinstalled light wings pwm

512gb m.2 ssd x1

1tb samsung ssd

1tb HD

So I have for sale rog case, motherboard, WiFi and Bluetooth card, exhaust fan power supply, that's it.

All other parts sold or put in rebuild.

So I need processor,memory,and graphics.

I have a few spare 240gb ssd that will also go in the for sale pc.

So what is the next upgrade I should buy, faster ram or cpu?

Both old parts could be used in for sale pc.

• Advertisement

There's no right answer here and especially not without knowing what you are happy with about it as it stands and where you think you would like it to be better.

Saying that if you want to upgrade then my best guess would be to change the ram for say 2*16GB of 4000CL18 putting the old ram in the sale pc. You might be as well off though taking the downgrade and putting half your ram into the sale PC, or doing that and when you sell it decide if you want to upgrade the ram based on how much you get for it.

Then for that sale PC another option might be to get a 3500X (€90) and 470 4GB (€85) from CEX. Maybe €20 more than the 5600G unless you can get it at a very aggressive price but probably easier to try and get more for it as a ready to go machine Vs the 5600G which would be more of a stopgap for anyone buying it as a gaming PC (and if they aren't buying it as a gaming pc they won't pay any kind of premium for the ROG factor).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The only upgrade left would be a Ryzen 7-5800X3D. But we're talking less than 10% uplift in most games vs the 5600X. Alternatively, get a Ryzen 7-5700X for half the price - basically same performance as 5600X but with an extra 2 cores.

You're running 4x RAM sticks so they are in dual-channel + dual-rank configuration - no point upgrading to faster speed. Unless you really want RGB, in which case get some 3600 MHz CL16 from Kingston.

Also, please don't forget to post a pic of the build(s) in the thread 😎 https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055334204/merged-your-main-pc-pictures-specs-and-discussion#latest

I was having a slightly dumb moment making an unqualified suggestion of 4000 for the 5600X as it's unlikely to manage a 2000MHz IF clock though if you are willing to do the work to get it as fast as it will go while keeping the memory to IF clock ratio up you will likely get it a little past 1800/3600, likely to 1900/3800.

I've now spent too long already going down a rabbit hole on the 4*8 Vs 2*16 and ranks question for Zen 3 and am throwing up my hands! Instincts say 2*16 of dual rank should be better but then the end of a Gamers Nexus video quotes Wendell from Level 1 Techs saying 2*16 of single rank is ideal! I do think 4*8 of 3200 could be improved upon but you also have to factor in the timings and ... lol

I think the main point is OP has made a nice fun mess for themselves and should probably be worrying most about getting out of it with the least pain over upgrades as the 5600X + 6700XT and whatever ram they end up with should be pretty solid though I guess dropping to 2x8 is probably more of a downgrade than I was thinking ;)

Lol it is a fun but expensive mess alright.

Main thing is,,, the kids happy!

LOL! So much for measuring twice and cutting once... xP

I don't understand why you want to buy extra parts so that you can sell whole machine... Why not just sell the parts individually?

• I’d buy what u have w/o CPU & GPU (I think there’s no GPU?) I already have a ryzen 5 something lying around haha.

Be a fun project for the Mrs. she wants a PC for some reason but I’m not going balls to the wall cos she wanted a MacBook too and hardly uses it 😅

Not quite ready to sell yet havent totally made my mind, my girls are thinking about using it but thanks anyway.

Pictures of the build are now in the pictures thread

Thanks for everybodys help

Ok now to recoup some of the value of the Harveynorman pc I have replaced/ upgraded the sold graphics card and memory with a Palit gtx1070 jetstream and 2x 8gb Kingston fury memory.

Also added a 500gb hard drive and a 240gb ssd that I had lying about.

What should I look at price wise to sell quickly on adverts.ie?

• Advertisement
Advertisement