If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Tax Returns Letter

  • 25-11-2022 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

    I got a letter for tax returns but not sure if Im reading it correctly.

    It says 2019 - Overpayment - 474.00euro

    2020 - Underpayment - 642.62

    2021 - Overpayment - 1,630.81euro

    I imagine I total 2019 and 2021 to amount how much I owe?

    Any tips would be great!




  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

    If they're overpayments, revenue owes you money.

  • Registered Users Posts: 42,496 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

    my tip would be to employ the services of an accountant

  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

    Add the overpayments together and subtract the underpayment and that will show you the amount that you are owed by revenue.

  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kazamo

    I wouldn’t…… just lessens the refund you get as you have to pay him/her/they.

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭Allinall

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mayomother

    In my experience ringing them directly with your query would be a good idea. Anytime I've done that I find the Revenue staff very helpful.

    An underpayment means you owe them money, and overpayment means they owe you.

    So from what you've written it looks like overall your are owed money by them. Typically if they have your bank details they will directly repay the outstanding amount into the bank, or if not they will send you out a cheque for the overpayment.

    In case you are wondering I don't work for Revenue, but I have had a few tax overpayments in the past and this is how it has worked for me.

  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kazamo

    1. Register for myAccount or ROS on if you haven’t already done so. It probably refers to it in the letter. It will help you see the details the Revenue have for you for each year.
    2. Gather up all your medical/dental expenses that weren’t covered by medical insurance and you can claim for those. It won’t be much as Revenue standard rate it and after disallowing first €100, but every bit helps.
    3. If a PAYE worker check the tax credits your employer is allowing you versus what the Revenue is giving. Maybe your employer hasn’t updated the tax credits.

    If you are a PAYE worker, those yearly fluctuations are a bit mad, unless there is a good reason such as moving jobs, unemployment etc. Please don’t post your personal circumstances, just posing the question for you to ponder. If you were in the same job for those three years, the underpayment is probably wage subsidy related but you are loaning the tax man, your money for the other years. If it was me, I would want to know why.

    After all this is done, I personally would be looking at 2022 and seeing if there is another discrepancy (perhaps, again in your favour).

  • Registered Users Posts: 25,094 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

    Phone Revenue , and check if the letter really came from them at all.

  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

    The assessments have already been finalised, what do you expect to get from dropping say 500 Euros on an accountant?

  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

    I was about to suggest this.

    It's really handy to have the online account and they are good for answering queries in a very reasonable timeframe in my experience.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

    Thanks so much for the replies folks, really appreciate that. I had been on covid payment in 2021 and actually forgot to cancel payment after going back, 3 weeks payment, thought it may have been to do with that. This is all new to me and the websites jargon didnt help but on the backing of your replies it sounds like I might be splashing out this christmas hehe

  • Registered Users Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭griffin100

    In my experience if they owe you money they usually send the cheque around the same time they send the notification letter so if it's legit you'll get paid very shortly.

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

    The notification from revenue should state what is being done to reimburse the net overpayment.

  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Karppi

    In my experience , Revenue is about the only part of the state that knows what it’s doing. Call them, they’ll get you sorted

  • Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

    They kept me waiting 15 minutes when I phoned them yesterday. Playing messages to try to get me go online instead. But they did update every 3 minutes with the expected waiting time, and the issue I had was resolved to my satisfaction. I do not have experience of all the other parts of the state, but I expect that they would mostly be just as good. I have had much worse service from various private organisations.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭downtheroad

    Why would you disallow the first hundred euro of allowable health expenses?

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭Greyfox

    I got a letter from them to fill in my details for the last 3 years by 18/11/22. I kept getting an error message when I tried so didn't bother as I also have no health expenses to claim.. well the one dentist visit I can't find the receipt anyway.

    Unfortunately for me my total for the 3 years is an underpayment of €324. The letter says after 18/11 they will proceed anyway with the information they have

    The question I have is will I just allow them to take the money back themselves or will I call them, would calling them make any difference?

  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

    They will more than likely allow for it in your tax credits rather than whipping 324 out of your account.