Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to identify replacement for switch

Options
  • 24-11-2022 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I have a pair of Creative T40 speakers, they're about 15 years old but have served me very well and the sound is really nice. There's a mechanical power switch at the back but when I switch them off, they can spontaneously switch back on and when switched on, they re-power every few minutes.

My best guess is that the switch is dodgy. I could have a go at replacing it if I knew what to order but I don't know where to find this information (I tried contacting Creative but I doubt they'll help). Can anyone suggest a way to identify the switch? I've taken a photo of it which is shown below.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Looks like a simple sliding single-pole switch. Flip the board and get a photo of the underside?

But the symptom doesn't match the function of this switch as it's a mechanical on-off device, I don't see how having a faulty switch is turning the speakers on again as the contact should be broken when it's off and can't become intermittant. Normally these fail by being worn out and just not moving or making a connection rather than what you describe,

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭phildin

Thanks for your reply 10-10-20, there's a photo of the underside below, sorry it's a but blurry but it's the best I could get from my camera.

I take your point on the symptoms; I can't think of anything else that would lead to it spontaneously switching on but it's very much outside of my area of expertise.

It's a "3 Pin 2 Position SPDT Right Angle Slide Switch".

This looks good, but is out of stock:

I'd guess that it's a capacitor issue though but the chances of finding the culprit is low. If you have a capacitance tester on your multimeter you can probe around and measure a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭phildin

That's brilliant, thanks for your help. I'm a bit out of my depth with testing capacitors but I'll do some googling on it.

Cheers,

Phil

Follow that track in red. Somehwere near where it ends you should find the power control circuit. You other option might be to de-solder that switch and see if it turns on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement