Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freesat Recording

Options
  • 24-11-2022 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I have an old Freesat receiver which can record 2 channels at the same time. The box is on the way out and it seems recordable boxes are hard to get and expensive.

It looks like my only option is to get a newer LG TV which has Freesat and Saorview and attach a hdd to record. It's not great as you can only record one channel and cannot watch a different channel when recording. Just wondering if there are better ways of doing it and/or if anyone has experience of the LG with a hdd. How good/bad is it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

I have an LG and Walker with HDD attached, both work fine. Like you said it is a bit restricted, as a workaround I have a combo box as a backup when the tv is recording, works fine the odd time we need it. One issue I have between the LG and Walker, you cannot watch a programme, on the LG, from the start while the programme is being recorded, you can do that on the Walker, minor but can be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

Your best bet is to get a ZGEMMA H7S and although its a bit of a learning curve its worth it. And at about 200 euro a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

Didn't think of the combo box option, will look into that.

Not sure what you mean about not being able to watch programme from the start when it is being recorded on the LG?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

I did see some posts about that but it does sound complicated/time consuming. I'd like to keep it as simple as I can.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭swoofer

You can get the box good to go out of the box and all you need is to connect 2 cables for the sat, then the aerial for saorview and scan for channels. The FTA channels that you get will already have been scanned in and set up as bouquets. It has hdmi out for tv and if you have the internet that's even better.

Setting up recordings is done via colour buttons, auto timer works like series link.

Try here but ring them first and say you want an SSD 500GB installed, they do a crucial one for a good price. And ask for the latest openvix image to be installed. They used to do it.

But if you are wary say what would concern you.

Look at the end of the zgemma h7s guide thread and it may give you an idea of screen layout etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

During a recording you can view the programme from the start, on the Walker but on the LG the recording must be finished before you can view it, if I am explaining it right.

Advertisement