Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Video Game is 50 Years Old

Options
  • 23-11-2022 11:13pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When Pong was launched by a fledgling Atari in November 1972, 50 years ago this month, it was an overnight sensation and from there began the age of the video/computer game.

Arcades flourished for a long while in the late 20th Century but eventually the home game console took over the market. Two generations of adults have now grown up on video games.

With half a century of video games passed now, where will the next 50 years take us? Did virtual reality, much touted back in the 1990s, ever really take off?

What was your first video game? Do you still regularly play computer games, either by yourself or with others online? Do you have a favourite one at the moment?

And....would you still play Pong? 😎😁😁👍

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My first video game was the handheld Entex Space Invaders, probably got it in 1980 or '81

Not into games much, but I occasionally play Asphalt 8 and Alto's Odyssey on the Apple TV.

I still sometimes play Pong on my watch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I've been looking for one of those Entex Space Invaders, my brother owned one back in the day too. 3 or 4 years ago you could get one for half nothing and I never bothered, now I'm looking prices have gone silly.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Unfortunately, that pic isn't my one. Of all my childhood toys, I've two teddies and 3 Star Wars figures left, which my kids play with now.

My brothers one was slightly different, it was black and didn't have all the knobbly bits around the buttons. It's sad we don't hang on to stuff from our childhood, but it all meant nothing to me in my late teens, twenties and even early thirties, then nostalgia takes over!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

AOE 2

wolololololololololo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Pong was badarse I still break out the Binatone.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭noahungry

Had no idea Pong was that old! I also play it on my watch, usually while waiting for someone, since I'm blessed with many close friends who are always late. 

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Technically the videogame is older, the first videogame was made in 1958.

The first commercial videogame was Computer Space, which came out a year before Pong.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Pedantic but true. I believe there were computer games of sorts among the 1960s early mainframe programmers, but these were not widely known or available.

I heard of Computer Space coming out in 1971, but it was prohibitively expensive, not very user friendly and was a failure.

Pong, on the other hand, was the real beginning of the era of the video game. In its first few weeks of operation in November/December 1972, the arcade machines were jamming up with coins as it was so popular, particularly with college students at the time. 😁

It also made Atari and Noel Bushnell an absolute fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

First game was Super Mario bros, instantly the most addictive thing in the world and for me the most important piece of entertainment that has ever been released

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Had pong on the Atari in the mid 70s, but almost certainly not the 50 yr old original version. Then went through the ZX81, Dragon 32, Amstrad 464, learnt to code Basic and got into IT, Sega Mega Drive, PS1, Xbox, Wii, Xbox 360, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4 and Switch. And there I'll stop, tbh I haven't got the will or the reactions to game any more.

I think 3 things over that time struck me as being truly revolutionary - writing your own code on computers, the leap forward in graphics and controllers with the Mega Drive et al, and live gaming with the Xbox.

I remember fondly many games, Pong of course, Classic Adventure, Manic Miner and Sorcery on the Amstrad, new sports of NHL and NFL on the Mega Drive, Halo 2 of course, the first great live game, the revolutionary controls of Moto GP on the Xbox which as far as I know were never repeated, the free roam of Red Dead Redemption and Morrowind / Oblivion / Skyrim.

Post edited by PeaSea on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Love the mustard and walnut veneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

October 1958 actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

For all the computer gamers. Just to help you reminisce some more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

When Pong was launched by a fledgling Atari in November 1972, 50 years ago this month, it was an overnight sensation and from there began the age of the video/computer game.

1972 didn't come to my town until the early 80's. I remember going into an electrical shop on the way home to play it as there was a demo model set up in the shop. I thought it was amazing. That was back in the day when my parents rented a telly, believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I have that Pong game somewhere!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

I got this one Christmas in the early 1980s, it ate batteries at an alarming rate, so my uncle got it to run off a Hornby railway transformer with the wires that connect to the rails soldered to the battery terminals, how we didn't burn the house down...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A friend of mine got an Atari around 1984 and it was like a spaceship arriving….

beyond futuristic to us then… we’d go play football on the road and come back see if it had loaded properly..

Those little beauties loaded instantly, the 8 bit computers of the day on the other hand........

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They might have been supposed to but his didn’t 🥹

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Was playing an Atari 2600 with my cousin in the early 90's. We thought it was the pinnacle of gaming tech. Sheltered rural chaps that we were. Think we graduated up to Megadrives around the time the Playstation came out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ghosts and goblins on my cousins nintendo. There was a part I never could get past. Downloaded an emulator years ago, and still couldn't progress. Hardest game ever.

The first computer I had myself was an amstrad. The only game I can really remember playing on that was prince of persia. Moved on to consoles then and have fond memories of playing sonic and aladdin on mega drive and later ,tomb raider, gta vice city and resident evil on Playstation. My child is of the age where she is into gaming and I recently dipped my toe back in and completed the latest resident evil on ps5. They're a bit different these days 😄

We also have a vr headset and it's pretty cool, especially the ones that get you moving, like beat Saber. Beyond anything I could have imagined back in the 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

lol do we not all remember the seizure inducing colours of tape loading. Turn over the tape and at the end it hangs. 20 mins wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

got an Atari 2600 for Christmas in the early 90s. Was gutted I wanted Subuteo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's been a good 50 years. Ups and downs, highs and lows, and to look at Pong above, and now be at the graphical levels of modern AAA games, it's quite a short time. We had Pong in the house, but it wasn't an official Pong console. After much searching, I found out it was called the Optim Sport T-338. Many hours playing the "different" games on it.

The rest of the siblings, all older, weren't that interested in gaming, but the parents still ended up buying multiple Atari 2600 (Jr's apparantly, would be called Slim by todays wording):

We apparantly kept spilling drinks on them, which immediately killed them. I think she said they ended up buying 4, and the price was equivalent to around €700 each adjusting for inflation. Siblings lost all interest soon and I took over as the only gamer in the house. I used to visit a neighbour who were good family friends, and their 4 years older than me daughter had a NES, so I got plenty of use out of that.

Then, Christmas either '94/'95, while the rest of the family went to the pub for Xmas eve, mam stayed at home with me as I was still too young to be in a pub/little bollix that would only causes issues in a pub. I was thick, of course, that I was being excluded from the pub fun, but I quickly and immediately forgot about everyone and anyone else when mam sprung the SNES Super Mario All-Stars bundle out to me. I will never forget the yellow box and the fact I was now an owner of a games console! They had to force me to bed at some ungodly hour, only for me to wake up an hour or 2 later to start playing again. This console cemented my love of gaming:

Never got into Sega. A mate in secondary school had a Megadrive once it came out. I tried a few games on it, but Sonic and the other Sega games just weren't doing it for me. Sonic felt like a pish-poor Mario to me at the time, and Mario was leagues ahead of it. Many memories of going to that game shop on Roches Street in Limerick to rent SNES games. Can't remember what it was called, there's a travel agents there now, just below the Eir customer care building.

Anyway, a few years later, mam being the legend that she is, upgraded me to a PS1. In another DID NOT EXPECT THAT! moment, my sister worked in a hairdressers and I was waiting in there for her to finish and mam bringing us both home on Xmas eve. Mam had fecked off somewhere, I thought nothing of it. When she came back, and most likely because I was in foul form for some reason, she immediately showed me my Xmas present. The whole population of that hairdressers saw pure childhood excitement right then. I'll never forget it, because it was the year that the electricity went for a week over Xmas. We were driving home, me having read every inch of every booklet already, and lights were out on houses. We got near home and noticed lights on there, so I thought I'd be fine. Electricity was on, I hooked everything up, heard the start of that amazing PS1 start up sound and bang, electricity gone for a week. It was horrible, but once it came back you couldn't get me off of it. Destruction Derby 2 and Tomb Raider 1 & 2 kept me going for a long time. Mind blown with the level of realistic graphics compared to the SNES.

That hasn't changed since then. I've had the PS2, PS3, X360, Wii, PS4, PS4 Pro, XSX and PS5 since. I've spent thousands on gaming peripherals over the years, steering wheels, fancy controllers, aim controllers, etc. Bought into PSVR when it came out and it really was a different experience. While VR has not really taken off yet, it still has a market that plenty of people are providing content for, and the upcoming PSVR2 may help rejuvenate the platform.

Now, thanks to how crap humanity is in general, I'm unsocial and spend most my time gaming. I've lived 100s of different lives. Experienced varied and amazing worlds. I continue to have my mind blown by certain games; Subnautica is a stunning game which took over me for a few weeks. God of War and recently Ragnarok shows how amazing action-adventure games can be, almost film like at times. Racing games are near photo realistic. Sports games are... well, they're predatory, full of MT's and barely change but people still buy them in the millions.

I'm very excited for the future of gaming. I don't think I'll get it in my lifetime, but I'd love something like Ready Player One.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

A those days where you ran down the magnetic data on a Commodore Game casette so much that the only way to get the game to load was to find some way (in my case wedging the tape desk under the open door of my bedroom wardrobe) to put a lot of pressure on the top of the tape reader in order that the tape was pushed down and a relatively clean part of the tape was being read by the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Atari Jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Have an original (US) Pong somewhere!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I remember the shop in Roches Street Limerick. It was called The World of Video and Games club. You needed a region converter for many of the SNES titles there as they were for the US model SNES. I spent a fortune in that shop renting Final Fight on the SNES almost every week.

i first got hooked on video games all the way back in 1986 when I first played Kung Fu Master and Double Dragon on the arcade machines in my local shop. I got an Atari 2600 in 1989, a NES with Super Mario Brothers 3 in 1992 and a SNES with Street Fighter 2 Turbo edition on 1994. I got an N64 in 1999 with Zelda Ocarina of Time, a PS1 in 2001, a PS2 in 2002, a GameCube in 2005, an Xbox 360 in 2007, a PS4 in 2016 and a PS5 this year. I’m currently hooked on Assassin’s Creed Odyssey which I missed out on when I first got released in 2018. My least favourite of all the consoles I had was actually the PS1 as I thought the graphics looked very messy and ugly in most of the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I still play Candy Crush everyday.

Advertisement