Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5, Jan 29 2023

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

That’s great to know about the cars, thanks 👍. I’ve often wondered over the years how it’s only a couple of cars and indeed yesterday a few minibuses too. Most runners well used to it and roaring ‘CAR!’ on approach.

Impaling yourself into the back of a Peugeot isn’t a good day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, there was so many people running together that their sight was limited, we saw a few near misses with spectators standing on the footpath as we cheered you all on. I don't think a lot of people that parked up were expecting THAT many people stampeding!! Took up the whole road and footpaths at one stage. Looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

My first time doing this race yesterday - given I have been posting in here for well over 10 years and over that time I have done over 10 marathons and many many other races AND for 2 years I lived in Clontarf down the road its amazing I never did it before. So glad to have checked it off the list.

I'm older, fatter, and slower than before, so I started about 75% of the way down the field, with only walkers and sundries behind be. But still a bit congested over the first mile or two. But not as bad as I expected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

A great event as always, really sets up the start of the year as you get an idea for where you are.

If only the other big races lobbied for and were given as much room with regards to planning and closures, it's nearly on its own now in terms of big races outside the park on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Agreed, one of the better races. Last ran it in 2009 so not sure when they changed from staying outside the park along the coast road and then back up Watermill Rd. The newer route using the internal paths of the park very successfully reduces the impact on the main roads in the area.

And I achieved a 5 Mile PB by a few seconds too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

There is another video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1lNu3NCSto from one of the participants in the race.

It was my first time running this race so I wasn't sure what to expect but I will definitely be back again. I didn't make my target time but I was close enough. And the goodie bag was great.

just throwing it out there, and I know it’s tradition - drop the commemorative plaque, or change it to a medal.

it goes in the bin every year, and I know that’s where many others go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Not a fan of medals or t-shirts for every race, would like to see some do socks, gloves, hats. I understand that sponsors want their logo's on t-shirts, but with some of them, we look like F1 drivers. I'd rather a pair of Steigen socks, like the Irish ones they did for a discounted price for 2019's Dublin City Marathon, then a t-shirt that'll sit in a drawer, even a discounted pair of Goodr sunglasses would be more useful.

Has anyone ever seen the back of a fellow runners t-shirt, read a sponsors name and gone "I must get me some of that". In saying all of that, the plaque always reminds me of winning the three legged race as a kid, at my estates sports day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

All I want from a race at the end is a bottle of water. Maybe a banana.

Everything else is nonsense.

Except the bib, I keep them as souvenirs.

A wise man told me recently he was planning on wallpapering a room with them. Might do the same.

Want a medal if I win though.

• Advertisement

I’m the same, I enter loads of races without medals, but I still have every bib from every single race, with the times wrote on them somewhere if they were notable

Snap.

I have a box with them all in chronological order, chip time written on every one with a sharpie.

Plan is to someday put them in a scrapbook with a little bit of text about the race. Someday 😊

Advertisement