Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP update

Options
  • 21-11-2022 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hi. I spilt liquid on my laptop so the screen isn't working anymore. So now I'm trying to use another laptop that hasn't been in use for a number of years but it has Windows XP professional installed. I need an update (getting your clock is ahead error msg etc.). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

Leave it connected to the internet and let Microsoft update run?

XP is very old and isn't supported any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks. l've tried that but it didn't work. Just wondering now if I can connect the broken screen laptop hard drive to another screen?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

XP has severe difficulty updating these days as the supercedence method is a mess and it can take a day or two to evaluate.

There are unofficial rollups - https://msfn.org/board/topic/171171-introducing-unofficial-windows-xp-sp4/

However, the system will be horribly insecure and there are no current browsers available either.

You can probably attach the dead screen laptop to a TV/monitor, if it is only the screen that's damaged.

I did try to connect the dead screen to a monitor earlier but it didn't work. Do you have any ideas of what cable connections are needed? Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

You tell me...what display connections are on your broken laptop and on you monitor/TV?

The laptop is powering up as normal so it seems to be working but the screen doesn't work. I tried to connect HD to a monitor but honestly haven't a clue what cables are needed.

Result. Was able to connect laptop to monitor with these cables. Sorry but don't know what they're called but it might be a help to someone else. Thanks again for the replies

VGA connection.

Advertisement