Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Donegal flight

Options
  • 20-11-2022 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any experience on the new Emerald flights? We're flying to Donegal in early December for a birthday weekend!

• any general tips

• recommended arrival time in Dublin airport

• where is gate 333?.... The flight to Donegal today uses this gate, but it's never heard of it.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I’ve never taken the flight but it’s one of the remote aircraft stands so it’s a bus gate and will be signposted, from memory it’s between T1 security and the Aer Lingus lounge

I’ve flown to Donegal a couple of times and what a nice experience it is, especially if there’s not too many clouds on approach.

It was Stobart operating for Aer Lingus when last I flew that way, and gate was downstairs in a quiet section with a coffee stand and toilets at Terminal 2, and I remember being bussed to aircraft once, another time aircraft was parked outside. The fact they asked for a passport on return was a bit crazy, had to explain it was an internal flight and they kind of nodded but seemed a bit puzzled. Now the passport gates are automated, don’t know how they currently work it for the domestic flights.

I flew out through Terminal 2 last Tuesday at 6.30am to Lanzarote. It was very quiet, no queues or hassle. Returning on Friday night was a breeze. Seem to be enough staff to cope this winter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you've flown without a passport you need to go to the manned gates. Plenty of people do every day on domestic or UK flights, they're well used to it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

They may be now, but the staff (2018) seemed confused at first, and then didn’t even ask for my boarding card as verification that I’d come off a domestic flight. I could have been coming from anywhere. On Friday coming from abroad I didn’t spot any manned gates in T2 but I wasn’t looking for one and happy to use the automated ones. There are only abt 4 domestic flights per day in Ireland (twice daily Kerry & Donegal) and most going to UK use passport as certain airlines require it as far as I know.

I just love flying in and out of Donegal, the odd time I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭bikeman1

You just show your boarding pass and the form of ID used to get on the plane and away you go. Takes two seconds. I’ve never shown my passport and don’t bring it. A flash of the driving licence and say you’ve just landed from Donegal / Kerry (they when they’re in). It’s quite lax, but they shouldn’t even ask you.

Also Donegal airport is great, lovely staff, amazing approach and they even have the new scanners. A walk on the adjacent Carrickfinn beach before your flight back makes it one of the best airports in the world.

• Advertisement

First thing I did first time landing in Donegal was take a swim at the beach. For some reason the tea at the airport tastes great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭CPTM

For these regional flights I think you can use the fast track security lane. Definitely ask about that first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

This would make tonnes of sense, so probably DAA don't allow it!...

We were supposed to fly to Donegal yesterday. The flight was cancelled, but we had already delayed our trip until the spring.

Instead we were stuck in the airport trying to get to Milan... two Ryanair cancellations later, and I'm now in Italy thanks to Aer Lingus!

Regarding Fast Track in T2, which I used this morning - and paid 13euro for - they only had one lane operating for Fast Track and it took about 20minutes. You'd expect your money would pay for extra staff but no...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Gates 332 ,333 ,334, 336 and 337are the gates used for the regionals ie Emerald Airlines. 335 is used for transfer to the South Gates only. Boarding passes for 335 will read 335 A or another subsequent letter.

These gates are serviced by bus transfer.

To get to these gates go through T1 and directly take a left AWAY from The Loop. About 100 metres down is the entrance to 332-335. 336 and 337 are further down the 'hallway' as they are in a separate building.

Hope that helps someone.

Advertisement