Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple watch SE vs Coros / Garmin

• 20-11-2022 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

apologies if this question has been asked before but I can’t seem to find it in this forum.

i’m trying to decide between buying a coros pace 2 (or similar garmin) (around €200) or an apple watch SE (€279).

This would be just for running and not for every day, where.

this would be just for running and not for every day wear. I appreciate that the Garmin or dedicated sports watch would have some more features in terms of measuring certain things like power output but in reality, I probably really only need basic heart rate, GPS tracking etc. The Thing I like about the Apple Watch is that you can pair earphones with it to go to the gym or running without bringing the phone which does seem very handy and you can listen to podcasts.

I am planning to train for the DCM next year.

Basically the question is is there anything which the coros/garmin gives which the apple watch doesn't which I would really be missing out on?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

If the watch is just for running/exercising, then I wouldn't go near the Apple Watch. The battery life and running features are far superior on the sports dedicated watches.

The garmin 245 has a music version and can be picked up for around 200 euro as there is a newer version out (garmin 255). It works with bluetooth earphones (no phone necessary). This will play music and podcasts, and you can use Spotify too. Uploading podcasts and and music via the garmin software can be cumbersome. Other ppl may have experience with using Spotify which I believe updates via wifi. I don't have any experience with Coros watch and I don't believe it has any music features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

Thanks - that's very helpful. Hopefully there might be a few black Friday deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Go for the apple watch, the Coros pace 2 is all about running, extra lightweight, mad long battery life and a decent running app, nothing more. The Garmin's are a bit in between, ok ish battery, some features not on the Coros(like music,tap) but nothing special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Touch screen is not ideal for a running watch. That is why all the higher end garmin are not. You also want simple use as features are not always the best thing during a race.

• Fenix 6 pro and x down to £249 on amazon. Refurbished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

We tend to buy both our watches and mobile phones, not for what we want them to do, but what they claim they can do, which invariably we never than use them for. No real sense in getting an 'all bells and whistles' watch to wear for just running.

OP has said it would be just for running and not everyday use, so smartwatch functions are really not necessary. I'd keep an eye out for deals on the Garmin 45/55, amazon are selling a refurb 45 for £67, it'll do exactly what you want, record your runs, give you audio feedback and allow you to set up a training program or create specific runs and send them to your watch for the Dublin marathon. I ran the 2019 race wearing a Garmin 30, which did everything I wanted.

That’s very good advice thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭longrunn

Having had both Garmin and Apple Watch, for running then the Garmin wins hands down. The Apple Watch touchscreen is painful to use when running, especially in the rain or if your hands are sweaty. Also the lap button on a Garmin is a hard button which can be pressed without looking, just by feel. The Apple Watch though, you need to raise your wrist up so the screen comes on and then double tap the screen to record the lap, but which sometimes doesn't register the double tap so you have to keep doing it, meaning your lap time is off. If it's raining then forget it because you have to twist the dial on the side so that you disable the water lock on the touchscreen before you can record your lap.

If you are literally just doing some easy jogging and will just start/stop the run on Apple Watch then it could probably be usable. But doing any form of interval or threshold work its useless IMO.

As was already said, Garmin can also store music and use Spotify with wireless earphones. The Apple Watch music is a bit easier to use though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,065 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah if you are going to be running, you need a watch specifically for running.

I have used the Coros Pace, its a brilliant watch tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Yermander

Just reiterating everything said here. One feature that the Apple Watch was lacking initially but has now introduced is downloading Spotify songs, as opposed to Apple Music. I’m starting to use it more for short easy runs, for the wrist HR and music, which my Garmin fenix 3 doesn’t have (the fenix has been brilliant for all sorts of sports the last 5 years).

I have since got a Wahoo Rival which I expect will be my main running watch.

For marathon training, I wouldn’t want to rely solely on the Apple Watch, as it would drive me a bit mad with the touchscreen and data screen, and the battery will need to be charged almost everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭longrunn

Yes, battery is a good point that I forgot to mention. Having to charge the apple watch daily was a bit of a pain. My Garmin lasts for days even with 50+ mpw.

I went for a Garmin Forerunner 245 Music. Ok Black Friday deal.

thanks for all the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Are the music and podcasts stored locally on the watch? Or are you streaming them from somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Unknownability

There is a device called a mighty player which is the size of an ipod nano clip. Stores your Spotify and connects via Bluetooth so very handy to take running too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Interesting. I used an iPod shuffle up until very recently when I lost it. I loved the iPod shuffle. It was perfect for running. Would just download podcasts onto it and listen to them then. Would the mighty player do the same for me?

I guess if my podcasts were stored on the watch though, it would be one less device to be worried about.

The loss of my iPod shuffle has coincided with the strap breaking on my old Garmin Forerunner 405, which is why I am exploring new options now. The one other thing that I would ideally have on my watch is that it syncs my steps to an iPhone after my run, but I am guessing that would probably be a feature specific to Apple products.

Need spotify premium (like all watches) and once have podcasts on it, it works no issues. I had a Coros Pace 2 before and cos it has no music, I use this. Very handy device.

Advertisement