Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capital gains tax calculation on property

• 17-11-2022 7:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭

Posting here for traffic:

Hi there would really appreciate clarity on capital gains tax. If a house is bought (for example) at 200k and sold at 300k but the seller paid 20k in mortgage interest over the time owning it, is the profit for cgt 100k or 80k?

I.e. is mortgage interest deducted. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

100k. Mortgage interest is not a capital expense and is not deductible in calculating the capital gain.

Put it this way; the cost of the house was 200k. The extra 20k was not something you paid to acquire the house, which only cost 200k, but rather something you paid to borrow money. But in borrowing money you are not acquiring a capital asset; you are buying only the temporary use of the money and when the loan contract has been fully performed you end up with nothing. So the 20k is not capital expenditure and is ignored in calculating your capital gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Also if the house was bought in January 2017 (in the UK) and the owners moved abroad (non EU country) for work in December 2017 and it was let out up until March 2021 could the owners avail of the ppr for the max 4 years as they were required to work abroad by employer and did not own another property until Feb 2021 when another property was bought in Ireland and moved into as main residence. I.e. they never returned to the UK, and UK house sold in Jan 2022

Post edited by glut22 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭glut22

Thanks very much, I guess the gain is so much less when you take interest into account so that's why I thought it counts. I would really appreciate if you have any insight on my ppr question also :-)

Advertisement