Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running the Clock and becoming non-res..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

For what it's worth, I would give very serious thought to taking the wife and youngest child with you. I realise it'll be disruptive but it will also be an adventure for them, and a couple of years in a primary school abroad will be quite the experience for your child.

I have no direct experience myself, but I do have a family member who did well-paid expatriate jobs for most of his career (and is still doing them). He and his wife tried both approaches, but fairly quickly came to the conclusion that keeping the family together was definitely the best solution, at least until the kids were into the early teens, when school stability and stability of the peer group network became a much bigger issue.

Which means that, if you want this to be even your plan B in case plan A doesn't work out, you need to pick your destination country knowing there's a suitable school for your 9-year old. Your choice will be local schools or an international school, which has its own issues but avoid language problems. (I'm assuming your child doesn't speak Portuguese, Maltese or Italian.)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,320 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If they are taking their wife and youngest child with them then Malta might be the better option. More english spoken in general and private primary schools teach in english first but provide lessons in maltese. learning a second language at that is never a bad idea,

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Would you consider bringing your youngest and your partner abroad with you. Treat it as an adventure and an opportunity for the youngest to experience life abroad for a few years. Learn a new language. Have some new adventures. Those in Uni would be delighted to have a free house or whatever and are less likely to be put out by your move. With that sort of cash in the bank, you could pay for a private secondary school so you wouldn't be tied in as much to location and feeder schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If three are in University it will take a lot of the pressure off if they ate that old. I taught you might be a you ger person in there late 30's/early 40's.

Ya the 9 year old will miss you but you can come home as often as you ate legally allowed allowing a bit of leeway in case of any issues.

Bring the youngest put for a lot of the two months of the summer holidays, even bring a friend of there with them for a few weeks.

Older children will hardly notice. They be coming out for weekends and for holiday breaks when flights are cheap.

It would be an option for the youngest and your spouse to come out for 6+ weeks during the summer.

As long as you are not chasing tail and sending photos of it being a complete holiday it should work out

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bob131

Fond of a bit of tax management but I’d agree to try bring partner and younger child and would say tread carefully and make sure the tax saving is really worth it if doing so without them. If going without partner and child mb try to build in as much as possible that your partner and family travel to meet you and even try to incorporate another location (mb UK) into the plan so you can spend some more time together.

While not for tax purposes from my own experience long distant relationships are hard and get harder as time goes on. For it to work in the first place you both need to be both fairly independent and good communicator’s but even then things will get complicated when an issue/problem arises for one and the others is away or one of you upset with the other. Arguments by txt message / phone can spiral v fast, its very easy for one person in the relationship or a child to feel unsupported, misinterpret something etc when the distance is there and sometimes a hug is really what’s needed.  There are some positives too though, you begin to really appreciate and look forward to the time you get together, adult time when you do get to see your partner is usually great as frustrations have been building up, you get to do some things you probably wouldn’t together etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slo007

My dad lived abroad for 20 years and came to visit every 6 weeks for 1-2 weeks. Kids were teenagers so manageable for mom.

However, I feel we disconnected as parent-kid and it took 10 years to recover. If your kids are very young, you are going go miss far too much. I strongly recommend taking the entire family with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭slo007

I also worked offshore with colleagues who had kids back at home. Kids loved the expensive holidays but it was hard work for the remaining parent. Most marriages fell apart. Money doesn't buy love. Remember that.

Advertisement