Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nolan Transport 'movin on'

Options
  • 15-11-2022 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Anyone know why Nolan Transport have "movin on" on all their lorrys.

Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Slogan. Many hauliers have that.

I would be more curious why they have scrap looking 20 yo trucks?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 5th wheel

There was a TV programme from America many years ago with 2 trucks in it and the name of it was "Movin On"

That is where the name came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

To fair to Nolan there DAF by account a maintained to very high standard as thay know them inside out ie changing parts before thay go . Plus DAF around 2005 was most reliable no adblue no dpf ect driving 2016 euro 6 DAF myself and my god awful truck went it comes to reliability

Plus there doing big upgrades on there fleet by what I see on road last bit of time

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

They have scrap looking trucks because they look after them well, I remember talking to one of their drivers in mayo last year and he said they'll do a full overhaul every million kms or so, that's a full rebuild of engine, gearbox and all consumables, they must be doing something right as they're still flying around the roads. You can be sure they're making a good bit more than a lot of companies with a fleet of new scanias with 5 grand worth of lights and chrome extras tacked on

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tiger31

It might be very tax efficient to do a complete truck overhaul, even to include new engine and transmission units, where available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's a pity more companies wouldn't hold onto equipment longer and maintain gear. Much better for the environment than changing every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Take the likes of Musgrave and other companies they lease their trucks over a 5 year period, I know if I was back on the road I rather a new unit than something years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Deirdre22

It’s seemingly a term coined by the founder Jimmy Nolan. However he did start his business with one milk truck so that may have had an influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Used to see trucks on the road with a big "Moved On" sticker on them, ex Nolan driver's apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Back in the late 1970's, when the height of Customizing Sophistication was a set of stickers from the back of Street Machine magazine, there was an Americian influenced graphic of a groovey type chap in loon pants, with long hair and one big boot striding forward with the words "Moving On" beside him.

Always reckoned Nolans took the motto from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Local haulier says nolan keep their older fleet in Ireland, so any break down that may be more likely from old gear can be sorted by themselves & newer trucks do abroad work , with less breakdown risk & warranty cover from manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Was that the 'Keep on Trucking' logo....

'Movin On' was an American trucker tv show from the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Same lot as Nolan Coaches?

Advertisement