Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Free EV charging points

Options
  • 14-11-2022 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Are there any free to use EV charging points around Dublin?

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well technically anyone who has a charger on their house and isn't at home is a free charger 😁

Same goes for any outdoor sockets you come across

However, if you want to be boring and not get busted for stealing electricity, then probably the best bet is to check plug share

Took a screenshot there and it looks like there's a few about Dublin

Plug share is community maintained, although @zg3409 seems to do about 90% of the work 🙂

So be aware that information can be outdated

Also probably worth keeping in mind that free electricity tends to get abused, and you'll have people sitting on the charger all day.

Also quite a few of those chargers might be private, for employees or guests of a business, you might get yelled at for hogging one

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes, where exactly in Dublin are you interested in? As said look on plugshare app to see free and paid ones.

Its hardly worth the effort as charging at home is relatively cheap so you may only save 1 euro an hour for your effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Steveraf

Hi, do you know why the charging rates displayed on the plug share app appear way cheaper than say the ESB app? For instance, Finglas road on plug share app listed as 26.8 PAYG or 23c subscription in plug share app but it's more than twice that on ESB app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Genghis

Wildly out of date. Those rates look like the eCars rates prior to Dec 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,406 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

theres no link between the apps. The ESB app only shows ESB chargers, but will have real time pricing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Water2626262

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown had free chargers in their parks up to about six months ago. All gone now because people were taking the mick. I’d imagine less than 1% of actual park users got to use them. It was actually kind of sad. People in high end EVs hanging around for a free charger.

Anyways I’d imagine they are few and far between now.

Well those are the rates displayed on the app as of today.

Thanks. Plug share app seems to be a waste of time then.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Plugshare is a great resource for finding charger locations - it's certainly not a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Last night I was thinking why wouldn't someone create an app / marketplace to sell home EV charger time. Charge ESB rate + commission + fees to the app - It could possibly work out cheaper than some charging network rates. Plus some profit. Especially if you have solar etc.

Sort of like an AirBnB for ev chargers, these are sitting idle at most EV owning homes for most of the day.

After some googling, turns out there's a crowd trying to do just that - goPluggable - and the founder is based in my town (Drogheda). What are the chances.

Powerful idea though. I can think of a few (dozen) minor issues, but really cool idea all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

It looks like there used to be a Type 2 ESB charger on Finglas Road which has those prices listed, but there hasn't been a registered checkin since February 2022. I have no idea if that charger is still available.

On the Plugshare app, looking at the ESB 50kW charger at Circle K directs you to go to ESB's own website for prices. As CivilEx said - a useful resource to seeing chargers from different suppliers on the same map.

I see, thanks. Yes the charger is still there and in use. EV charging is a bit of a maze to me, various operators, cards etc. ideally one card would cover all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭lau1247

The 17% fee is quite steep. I find it hard to see it being worthwhile, the price will be quite high by the time the fees etc are added to make any decent gains and people need to charge in a hurry most of the time. Home charging is not fast enough.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 13,055 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Plus it will also generally be day time charging on day time rates. So (say) 30c/kWh plus (say) 20% commission plus 17% fees = 42c/kWh. Assuming fees are charged on cost plus commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Genghis

Plugshare data is crowd / community sourced. It relies on users updating it, the updates are not validated as such (it assumes users will correct / update).

I find it useful when in a new area but you have to be aware that the info may not be complete or up to date. As you will need to use some other app to start the charge, once you know a charge point exists you can then check with it's app.

Never a bad idea to add or edit a locations info when you use it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There was an app.
    big issue with liability should your charger damage an EV or someone’s EV damages your charger.

Don’t go far in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

Yes me too, i don't actually know where to start

Yes quickly add a comment saying price is wrong or if you can edit price yourself.

I add a lot of sites to plugshare but these days for pricing I normally write "see app" as pricing can suddenly change for hundreds of sites if ESB increase prices. Also easygo prices vary by location and I have seen suppliers increase prices without any warning or indication.

Plugshare is great for finding sites from strange suppliers.

In terms of sharing home charger plugshare does allow you to list your home charger. It could be very handy if stuck out and about. It's likely this option with billing will be available from the big home charger suppliers in the future like the zappi. In reality it's probably not a big market and issues such as owners abandoning their car at your home and you not being able to park and charge may take the shine off it quickly. Public liability in case of injury and damage to your own charge point or cable of say they drive over the plug.

To update on the original topic there is still free ones in malahide, see plugshare app. These free ones are mostly trials and after the trial it's expected they will stop working or be removed. They may go pay to use.

Advertisement