Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus shift change in town

Options
  • 10-11-2022 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere or a similar thread exists. I couldn't find anything.

I got the number 1 bus today on Pearse Street going northbound. This was the first stop for the bus.

The bus arrived to Parnell Square eight minutes late. At this point, there was a shift change which delayed it further.

What's the story with this? Could they not change shift at the first stop???!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Also, maybe it's my bias but I feel like every single bus I take into town has a shift change. It's SOOO annoying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You get a bus to go from Pearse Street to 'town'?

Now that is a bit weird (unless of course you are elderly or have a disability).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The no. 1 bus goes from Pearse St to Ballymun/Santry - who knows what the OPs destination was, as they didn't say.

There's a bus depot beside Mountjoy Sq, which might account for the driver change at the nearest stop on that route - and most changes happening in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Route 1 is currently operated by Broadstone, though. The bus depot beside that park is a different one called Summerhill...

My destination was Drumcondra. I stayed on the bus during the driver shift change.

In any case, I regularly use the bus for short hop with the €1.30 rate. It encourages me to leave the car at home. Don't think there's anything weird about it.

• Advertisement

Wait, so can you guys explain exactly how shift change works at Dublin Bus?

Why do you need to be near a depot? Is it assumed they drive to work and need to park somewhere?! Or need facilities at lunchtime etc.

You would assume they could use their own bus network to get to a "logical" place to change shift such as the first or last stop?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

If drivers did shift change at the end of a route, DB would have to pay wages while the driver is travelling from the depot to the start point and vice versa. Imagine how much money that adds up when you consider all the drivers working each day. I assume it's significantly more efficient for the shift change to happen at the depot if the route passes close to it.

Wait. What?

Am I the only smuck in the country who doesn't get paid to commute to work? OMG.

I am bringing this up with my boss immediately 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Driving hours could be the reason. Drivers can't drive for more than 4.5 hours, so driving to the end of the route could easily have a driver run out of driving time before they reach the end. Then you have a bus stuck and no one available nearby to take it and the passengers.

How do they get to the last stop without wasting a lot of their shift? There is rarely any facilities at the last stop either, so where does the driver wait? It's bad enough that the drivers have to sit on the bus and urinate in the bushes on their breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Drivers on scheduled services of less than 50km in length can drive for 5hrs 30mins and do not use tachograph cards.

• Advertisement

Drivers don't get paid to commute to work they start work when they sign on in the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The Driver change has been at Parnell St for decades, so should hardly be a shock to any regular users.

Its completely obvious why it happens there if you think about it for even twenty seconds as Parnell St is the most concentrated intersection of bus routes anywhere in the city. (And Pearse Street isnt).

Not sure why you call it a Shift change, maybe it is one, but I always thought it was just drivers changing routes from one bus to another, in which case they might jump off a bus going one direction and hop on a bus going another direction.

I would guess their work routine is different to the regular work routine that people have where they can kick back and have a cup of tea, go to the jacks, sign on to boards and whinge about buses or whatever. When they are driving, they are driving.

I'd imagine drivers cant be driving for more than 90 minutes or so, and rightly so.

How long does it take to do a driver change 5 mins max. A bus could easily be at the stop for the same time if there was a heavy loading given how bad dwell times are in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

There used to be a Dublin bus club off O Connell St, near Marlborough St, if I recall. Maybe Parnell Square is used for driver changes as it's close to this venue?

It's been a long time since I was in the area, don't know if the club is still there.

Sorry just to be clear here, I'm not having a go at any Dublin Bus drivers. Absolutely not. I just want to understand how the system works.

I've used lots of public transport in European cities over the years and shift / driver change mid-route in the city centre seems to be a feature of Dublin Bus only.

When you're traveling just a few km, let's say from Drumcondra to George's St, then a 3-5 minute addition to your journey is a lot, when you only need to go a few extra stops the other side of the river.

We live in a big busy city. 5 minutes is a lot of time if you're running late for an appointment or need to catch a connecting bus / train etc.

Especially if you're only going another 2 or 3 stops. Sometimes you decide to get off and walk and sometimes you wait for the bus to get going again.

Of course with Murphy's Law, you always make the wrong choice and are left sitting there, or watching your bus speed past you, cause it left as soon as you got off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I hope you're not implying that Dublins unique approach to public transport is in some way inferior because it's not the norm in other countries

You probably think that the customer should come first or some other foreign notion, 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The driver changes happen at Parnell Square on the 1 for the simple reason of proximity to the staff canteen at Earl Place. That’s where they have their breaks in the city centre.

Historically Parnell Square is where cross-city routes change drivers.

Bear in mind that the 1 used to continue to Sandymount. It is only a temporary situation until the A Spine launches.

Other routes change over drivers outside depots if they pass them.

Mid-route driver changes happen with most urban operators across these islands - it is not specific to Dublin.

Driver changes happen only at the start or end of a shift, and when they are going on or returning from their break. They don’t get off one bus to drive another, unless there’s been disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

Driving hours would have a lot to with where a changover takes place as well as convenience.I'm sure the duty roster manager would have selected changover points for each route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

It only really becomes a problem when the first driver (i.e. the one taking their break) is in a hurry and arrives at the handover point way too early.

Okay thanks that makes sense on the 1.

In general, the driver changes have gotten much much quicker, so credit to the drivers for that.

But I still find it frustrating that this happens at all. You get to the city centre and only need to go 2 or 3 more stops - but then the bus stops for 3-5 minutes. It can add up to 50% onto your journey if you're doing a relatively short journey.

Again, in the case of the 1 this is a purely temporary situation for a number of years until when the A Spine launches.

There are going to be situations like this while the network is transitioning over different phases from the old network to the new BusConnects version.

The 1 & the 40 both have temporary termini at Shaw Street and Earlsfort Terrace respectively until the A and F Spines launch, when those routes will be subsumed into new cross-city spine routes.

This will happen with other routes as we start to go through the other phases and some routes get split in two. The section of routes that are not BusConnected will have to terminate at similar locations.

There’s not much you can do about it given the much reduced number of suitable locations to terminate bus routes in the immediate city centre.

Mid-route driver changes are a fact of life where you have long cross-city routes and no facilities near either end for drivers to break at.

Yes, pre-AVL I was amused by how people couldn’t grasp that the second driver might not actually be late turning up, but rather the first driver arrived too early! It’s less of an issue these days with the AVL box.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

To summarily answer all the questions happening here:

handover points are chosen on two merits: is it a suitable location to take breaks at, and can it be accessed from the home garage either by foot or on a single bus ride rather briefly and logically? And worst case scenario - can a bus be left there if there's no driver available to complete the journey?

The handover points currently in use in Dublin Bus include, but are not limited to: Eden Quay, Abbey Street, Parnell Square, Parnell Street, Aston Quay, Bachelor's Walk, Pearse Street, Ringsend (garage), Donnybrook (outside garage), Bray Station, Bray Castle Street. Go-Ahead have handovers in Dun Laoghaire, Bray Station, Blanchardstown SC, Liffey Valley SC (L51 only), Finglas Village. Some Bus Eireann services also have breaks in the city centre, such as the 103 and NX, and their handover locations are Beresford Place, Connolly Station (with walk time to Busaras usually built in - more on that later), and Blanchardstown Hospital for the 105.

For the most part, there is usually just one specific handover point for each route (well, a pair of stops going both ways, shall we say), but routes operated by multiple garages may have different handover points for each garage (C1/C2 is an example), and one route may have two handover points in the same garage's working timetable (which to the best of my knowledge only happens on the C3/C4 right now, with some in Ringsend and some on the Quays - I'm omitting the 145, as that technically has two working timetables, one for Bray, and one for Donnybrook, even though on paper Bray is a subdepot of the 'Brook).

However, both companies also routinely pull buses into the garage in lieu of changing drivers in the city, and there are a number of reasons...

duty structure in all the companies I mentioned above follows more or less the same guidelines, with variations only due to local thinking, local agreements, and/or local requirements or local possibilities.

Officially, every duty (shift) starts and finishes in a depot/garage, or shall I speak in some abstract rail terms, "crew base" (the connotation is that such a point, as long as it's systematically organised, doesn't actually have to be a vehicle base, but for road transport purposes it almost exclusively is). This is for two reasons, as far as I see it: one, I believe Irish law specifies that every employee has a specified work location (so let's treat the garage as one), and two, in Dublin city network terms, this dates back to the days of two-person crews (conductors) and later one-person cash-collecting crews (drivers alone), who have to return to the garage to cash in at the end of their duty - and is in fact something still true in Bus Eireann and similar.

As such, if a duty is scheduled to start service not in the garage, but somewhere en-route, it is already considered to be part of the day's work, and paid for, and follows some specific rules. Hence the two questions at the very start of this post: can breaks be taken there, and can it be accessed from the garage easily enough?

Going through the Dublin Bus locations, it all holds true: Eden Quay going to Clontarf (walk to 130) or Donnybrook (walk to 39A/46A/145/155) is easy, so is Abbey Street going to Summerhill (walk or take 33/41s), so is Parnell Square, Parnell Street, etc, etc, etc. Go-Ahead is a bit of a different story, as all of their handover locations are dealt with using ferry cars or other buses going empty, owing to the lack of transport links to their garage. Bus Eireann expects their drivers to walk to Broadstone, so there's that, but I suppose there isn't much of a problem with BE drivers getting a 4/9/155 or whatever to help their journey.

At their most basic, driver duties are thus composed of a few basic elements: sign-on, piece of work, break, piece of work, sign-off. This is more or less the arrangement in Dublin Bus, as their duties are always either one-piece or two-piece. I've deliberately omitted stuff like travel between locations, as that is paid for and can be considered part of a piece of work, even if it isn't actual driving. Go-Ahead and Bus Eireann both have duties with more than two pieces and one break, although a three-break four-piece duty is pretty much unheard of on this side of the Irish Sea.

As I've just mentioned, travel between locations is also part of the story. Not only are drivers expected to travel between their home garage and the handover location, but GAI and BE both may include walking times to their canteens (such as the aforementioned Busaras, or Dundrum and Blanch in GAI), and in the case of the N4, where handovers take place on Collins Avenue but breaks in Harristown garage, ferry car travel time is also built in.

However, not all routes are given handover locations in the city. Most notably, a number of the currently Ballymount-operated routes required drivers to pull into their garage for their sign-off and their break in DB. This was the case for 17A, 33B, 102, 236/238/239/270 in Harristown, 220 in Phibsboro, 76/A in Conyngham Road, and the 17, 18, and 114 in Donnybrook. A number of these routes failed the "reachable location" argument, especially the 33B, 102, 114, and Blanch orbitals. Others may have had potential spots available under that criterion, but failed the "break location" test (would you really want to subject DB drivers to breaks in Ballymun on the 17A and 220?). Others would have failed the "can I dump this bus" check (17, 18 in particular, but also the aforementioned Ballymun routes). This manouver of course had a side effect - empty miles and empty hours not really earning revenue clocking up. While a route that has their buses out for most of the day may have an empty mile rate of under 10%, I recall that the 17A had a rate of empty mileage of around 33% in its last DB Mon-Fri schedule.

Ultimately, there are also working hours and driving hours constraints to consider, and eventually what may seem to be a simple exercise in planning has already spanned a plethora of theses and dissertations, from both software development and application (esp. heuristics!) and mathematical theory angles: how to get the most service out of the least resources given certain constraints, or perhaps the other way around, how to allocate the least resources possible to a specified service given certain constraints. Doing this manually, it's a stepped game, and sometimes in order for a duty to have decent hours, it has to be artificially extended (by having it run to the terminus and then empty into a garage), especially if it wouldn't make it back within legal hours to the handover point on the way back.

In short - your 1 hands over at Parnell Square because it's the best handover location for Broadstone. See rte 9 for comparison.

Mid route driver handovers are hardly unique to DB

Yeah because life in a big city is just that simple. 5 minutes here, another 5 minutes there, missed connections, another 5 minutes over there.

If you keep adding up meaningless minutes, very soon you have a meaningful number.

But yeah, you should have just left earlier. How dare you expect that bus timetables might run efficiently and without delay.

What a load of codswallop. Give yourself enough time to make a connection and you won't miss it.

Buses have a departure time not an arrival time very possible the bus was running correctly to the timetable when the driver changeover occurred.

• Advertisement

You forgot to mention the N4 handovers at DCU and uses staff cars to allow drivers break in Harristown. Wonder how they've come to the conclusion that using staff cars is more efficient than having a break room in DCU.

Advertisement