Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnect Astec Alarm

Options
  • 08-11-2022 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

I have an Astec 63dv alarm in the house, was there when we bought it, its not used at all and I'm looking to just completely disable and disconnect it.

From the bit I've read online it seems I need to go to do some stuff with the control box, remove fuse and disconnect battery, can't remember all the details.

However the issue is from what I have read and also what an alarm installer told me when I rang is that the outside alarm will go for about half an hour when I do this, whatever about a few minutes I can't have the alarm going off for half an hour annoying the neighbours.

Surely there must be some way to disable the alarm going off and shut down the system so I can disconnect and get rid of it all without it making a load of noise.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭altor

Other than taking the bell down or hoping the battery is dead it should ring for 20 minutes.

Its designed that way for if an intruder was to gain access and compromise your control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Silly really, there should be a way to disable through control unit using codes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭altor

Unfortunately that's the way wired bells work but the reasoning behind it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Criminals don't live in sewers, they're not a different race either. If there was a single code that disabled all alarms you can bet your ass they'd have it before the installers did!

I don't mean a single code to disable all alarms. I mean a command code of some sort accompanied by the unique user alarm code.

I see no reason why by using my user alarm code I shouldn't be able to fully disable the system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

The command code you describe is called the Engineer's code.

If you had that code you could do as you describe.

On some brand of alarms (HKC for example) The alarm is sent from the factory with a default code. However the installer is free to change it in order to encourage repeat business.

Why should the installer be free to change it, its my alarm, I should be able to have full control of it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Some installers will let you select your own engineers code, but then they can't stand over the alarm as you could change any of the setting and compromise the security. If you do something daft then the installer shouldn't be held accountable. I think that is quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

There is also an insurance issue here if the alarm in listed on the house policy.

Re the bell, standard OP for disabling the bell is drill a hole in it and fill with expanded foam, let it go off, viola

Of course the obvious question is what would you disable it?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Why would I disable?

Because its not used and I have no interest in having one, it was in the house when puchased years ago but has never even been armed. I see little value in house alarms most people don't care if one is going off so I can't see it as any sort of deterant to anyone. Maybe monitored alarms are better but I'm not interested in entering into a subscription. I've two dogs who will bark plenty if someone tried to enter the house which is plenty deterant. I've wires and sensors all over the house that don't look great. I would potentially consider some smart alternatives, motion detectors, cameras that kind of thing but no actual alarm.

Its kinda come to head now as doing some work in house and some pieces are in the way and need to be removed which will set it off so may as well just get rid of the lot.

What if the installer goes out of business or can't be contacted as is the case for me. I am left with a piece of equipment that can't be fully used how I the owner want to use it? It is not reasonable to own something but not be able to access all the functions of it. If a owner **** it up thats on them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

"What if the installer goes out of business or can't be contacted as is the case for me. I am left with a piece of equipment that can't be fully used how I the owner want to use it? It is not reasonable to own something but not be able to access all the functions of it. If a owner **** it up thats on them."

One option is to factory reset the panel. Straight foward enough if you know what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Your knowledge of Intruder alarm systems is somewhat limited.

I would recommend that you get onto another installation company in your area and ask them to disconnect/ remove your system for you.

Perhaps while they are doing so, they can explain to you about how engineer codes function in protecting the programmed integrity of the customers system.

Panel can be reset using the factory link in the control panel (assuming the Engineer Lock hasn't been set) but even doing that can I disable the system without setting off the outside alarm? As far as I can see factory resetting will set the outside sounder off.

I don't disagree its somewhat limited. But from the research I have done I don't really see the value in them, open to having my mind changed.

I do understand the engineer code protects the integrity somewhat by stopping the customer messing up the system but on the other hand ultimately it is my system why shouldn't I have full control of it, there is a balance to be struck where you don't want it to be easy for the customer to modify the settings but that doesn't mean they should be completely locked out.

Unless the installer was completely incompetent, this won’t work.

As already explained you can have the code but then you can’t expect the installer to accept responsibility for the system. It is as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 youngbird

Coincidentally I disabled my Astec alarm just the other day (removing sensors to allow replacement of windows).

The external alarm only rang for about 5 minutes, I reckon due to the age of the battery - it was installed in 2009. It may be the case that your external alarm will ring for less than 20 minutes. I would suggest disabling at a reasonable time of day and maybe let your neighbors know as a courtesy. 😉

Advertisement