Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar World Cup 2022

• 05-11-2022 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think we're usually allowed a thread about World Cups in After Hours when they are on. I have no idea where the soccer forum is nowadays either or how to access it so can we have one here?

Anyway I can't remember there ever being less excitement or fuss over a World Cup. Must be down to the fact that we all know it's completely wrong holding it out there given the slave labour involved in building it and just the total waste of materials and resources to build all those pointless stadia.

Regardless, who do we think will win? Is this Gareth's last chance with England? Probably, and I would have thought they've a good chance although they haven't looked great this year. France are missing Pogba and Kante, huge players for them. Germany aren't up to much these days. Spain were excellent in the Euros but I don't think they have any great strikers at the moment or at least I can't think of any.

Brazil I think are favourites, all their best players are in form. Argentina also, I don't think they've lost a game in a couple of years, but because of the Nations' League they don't play against European opposition outside of tournaments as much any more.

I can see Wales maybe getting into the knockouts and surprising a few teams, hopefully another small country gets a good cup run too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I’ve never been less interested in a World Cup , not getting that feeling at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

Having a few quid on dark horses, Belgium.

Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

The Weird Cup. I think the Qataris will emit a noxious gas from those suspicious looking vents at pitch level and win at a canter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think they are past their peak of that Golden Generation. KDB has never looked better though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

I can see Serbia or Croatia go far in the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Winter WC was always going to be a disaster. For players in particular. Some of the lack of excitement about it is due to Qatar probably but look at the last 3 hosts, big issues with all of those for varying reasons.

Hoping to see Messi win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Probably gases from the builders bodies they threw into the foundations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ive a hunch Argentina will do well, and as above Belgium and croatia . Though they might be past their peak. I don’t think England will go that far .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wouldn't mind getting myself an Iran jersey, bound to get a few comments when out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Get a half and half Iran USA scarf. The group is England, Wales, USA, Iran.

• Advertisement

If you repeat "Qatar World Cup 2022" three times while standing in front of a mirror, Sepp Blatter will appear behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Agree about the anticipation levels. Lowest ever for a WC. Even the media aren't as hyped as they usually are at this point.

But will watch as much as I can, as usual.

Think England missed their chance to win a major trophy in the last 2 tournaments. They have regressed since then.

Still time for some countries to pick up injuries. It was a daft place to hold the WC, with players basically going straight from club leagues into a WC with no break or preparation time. Who knows, it might make this one better for that reason? But we'd need to be prepped, cos nothing is surer than the Saudis being handed the tournament in the near future.

I'm going to go with Brazil or Argentina. With perhaps Germany or France as potentials if they play well.

I wonder if Big Ron will be a starter for Portugal. They've got some excellent players but could be hampered by starting Ron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hope all the wokists withdraw and leave Iran, Saudi Arabia and Qatar to play it out in a 3 way final. Will they have dancing girls or executions during their half time shows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a shambles.

World Cups work in June/July, because they are at the end of the season in the northern hemisphere, they fill the television schedule when there is otherwise little to nothing on, the kids are off school to be watching their heroes and outside with a ball trying to emulate them late into the warm evenings.

Like the Olympics, it is a landmark in our four year calendars, as constant as Christmas or Paddy's Day and a massive boon for big corporate advertisers who go mad with offers an merchandise.

The host venues tend to be the cities of a big global nation, with lots to see and do and go to meet and party and generally enjoy the tournament of a lifetime.

Qatar is none of that. None.

Its a small, parched, temperant, human rights abusing kip. The fans don't want to go, the sponsors don't want to be associated with it and back in the leagues that are paused in the height of the season to shoehorn it in, there is only inconvenience and resentment.

Somebody sent me a map of the venues overlaid on County Wexford. They all fit in a triangle from Gorey to New Ross to Wexford. Bonkers.

I hope its a massive failure because FIFA need a massive slap. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Some amount of propaganda on BEIN sports for the it. Trying a bit too hard me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Iran need to be kicked out and the sooner the better for the tourament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭interlocked

I've less than zero interest in it, or who wins it. It's rotten to the core as is FIFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You get the impression that the day it's over the stadiums will be knocked to the ground and turned in to something they might actually use like a field to store their camels...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

100%.

I like sport in general, but I won't be adding to viewing numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I can see Saudi Arabia going far in the competition. Plenty of referee decisions will go in their favour, lots of goals being ruled-out for the opposition. Not suspicious at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wonder how the authorities and locals are going to take to the foreign fans? I know the visitors have been told to respect their hosts, but what's going to happen if thousands of fans start taking their tops off, getting rough and rowdy?

I can see it being a security disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It does feel like there is less interest in it but I reckon over here at least part of it is because Irish people have nothing to look forward to. If Ireland had qualified for it we'd be talking nonstop about it and it'd be all over the news for months about how it's the first time we've been in a World Cup since 2002. Irish fans would be absolutely buzzing about it. It'd be like Italia 90 all over again.

God, it's crazy to think how long it's been since we've been in one though. I miss those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 keshit

My favorite teams are France and Brazil, but the messi needs a cup to complete the world cup hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I just ran, Iran all night and day

I couldn't get away

🙈🙉🙊

You could make some serious money from the bookies with this inside information. They are rank outsiders along with Costa Rica, 750/1. 14/1 to beat Argentina, 9/2 Mexico and 17/4 Poland in the group. Get your money on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Same thoughts here.

bent as fûck. If it’s as blatantly bogey as in picking the host country and other off field carry on it brings seriously into question what occurs ON the pitch, referees etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I'll watch it purely because I watch a lot of football anyway and it's taking the place of games I would have otherwise watched or attended.

But it's corrupt, it's horrific for supporters and I think it could end up being incredibly damaging to international football as a whole - as the clubs get more p*ssed off with the timing of it, and the general public at the very least probably have some unease about the whole thing.

I've never been less excited for an international tournament and I wish I had the willpower of those who will decide to not watch a minute of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

The lack of interest is due to a) the location, and b)the timing, I feel. I’ve always loved the WC and would be glued to it. It is just all kinds of wrong having it in November. I know I’ll still watch, despite my disapproval, but yeah, it would be good if it was a big old failure and gave FIFA a well deserved slap. Would love to see Messi finally win a World Cup though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Playing the All-Ireland Finals in July and World Cup Final Christmas week have me a bit discombobulated this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

have very little interest in international football but would normally watch the WC when it’s on in the summer. As there is little sport on

can’t see myself watching any of this maybe the final but since it’s on a Sunday it isn’t even an excuse to go the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Im normally not much of a sports fan but always love big events such as the Olympics and WC, but this one is leaving me cold. Contrast the fake smiles of the officials with the frowns of the players in interviews, the thing is an absolute sham

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I love the World Cup so in spite of my disgust of the sham award to Qatar I will watch it. But this tournament could do a lot of damage to the magic of the World Cup. It should be about the colour, fans from all over the world mixing, the novel match ups, the surprise packages, the host team doing well and creating a buzz. Having it in Qatar could make it quite sterile. Fans are not travelling to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Thisisthedaywewinaway

Who is not traveling?

They had only 7% of tickets left for games a few months ago (on par with previous World cups)

The English and Welsh for example have thousands going over, some South American countries have sold more tickets than they have for previous tournaments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The majority of those who say they won't watch it - but are football fans - will indeed watch it.

I just hope it isn't a success. F*ck FIFA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The fans might not necessarily be normal football fans the cost of accommodation etc will be sky high. A lot of travelling likely required. Football weekly had a section discussing it a while back the logistics sounds like a nightmare. A lot of fans I think will be ex pats (hate that term...let's say immigrants) who work in the region.

One interesting anecdote from that show was that the cost for showing the matches in Qatar is astronomical. So likely people won't be able to watch matches in their hotel...even the teams ha.

Qatar will have the approximately 1600 fans they have bought and paid for though. Who will be posting positive stories regardless of their experience (oh and taking screenshots of any derogatory content below their posts so they can pass on).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I grew up a massive football fan in general but ive lost interest over the last decade or so because of the likes of PSG, City, Chelsea have done to the sport. I go to the odd Shels game and Ireland but missed all their qualification game for this farce of a world cup certainly won't be watching it on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

It would have been nothing like Italia 90 and to suggest it would is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The world is corrupt. Eat the rich etc etc. I'll certainly be watching it, be a good addition to the Christmas build up.

England to win their group and nothing else as usual would be my bitter prediction for them.

Would like to see Argentina win but overall just want a quality tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Every large sporting event for the last 20 years, the same aul bollèx talk about the hosting country not being appropriate....Beijing 2008, human rights issues, smog....Brazil 2016, Rio 2018, broke, shouldnt be spending money on it......Russia, corruption...Qatar, corruption....

Largely driven by the brit media........of course when its held by them, "its coming home"....or even more sickening when they do well (win medals, progress deep in tournament) everything is rosey and no one mentions all the shìte they were spewing pre tournament......

Ive seen it all.....same shìt different tournament....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

apart from Ireland not in it and being uncompetive currently , I lost interest in the Wold cup - the moment FIFA and Blatter announed the WC for Russia and Qatar . In 2022 this seams an even more corrupt decision.

It will have to go some to match the dodgy stuff on and off the field in Argentina 1978. At least now the new technology will keep the on field decisions more honest. 1982 in Spain saw the shameful "Disgrace of Gijón", between West Germany and Austria. That led to a rule change to have final group matches played at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

Qatar was always a dodgy choice to host

I will watch every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Look at the country of Qatar. Examine their human rights record or lack of it.

until recently you had to request to change your job. You couldn’t just go from xyz hardware to abc hardware because abc paid better.

A delinquent state, looks decent on postcards, modern ‘looking’ but everyone who monitors the country..

Amnesty International… “ human rights abuse in Qatar persist on a significant scale. “

CNN… “ In Qatar, journalists are thrown in jail for investigating migrant worker conditions. LGBTQ+ people are treated as criminals. Women need to ask men permission to marry, travel and study abroad in many cases. “

BBC… “ Some stadium workers said they hadn't been paid for seven weeks… protesters were detained and if foreign, workers, deported “

various media have reported that thousands of workers died due to unsafe work practices whist building stadia and infrastructure.

in a 2021 report, campaign group Human Rights Watch said that foreign workers were still suffering from "punitive and illegal wage deductions", and faced "months of unpaid wages for long hours of gruelling work".

i won’t bother tuning in… the whole premise, organisational aspects and decisions that brought the tournament to this country are bogey… you couldn’t trust what might transpire on the field now either.

FIFA have sold fans, players and everyone down the river…

not a fücking peep out of politicians anywhere.

Look at the 2026 world cup. Shafting fans, political decision… USA, Canada & Mexico.. around 5000 kilometres from the northernmost to the southernmost venue… how is it fair to the fans, to have a tournament on different continents. ? Ffs 😳🤔

FIFA… an absolute toe rag organisation..

don’t trust what goes on off the pitch or on it.

I would love if they just said ok we'll have it in Germany for the next 20 years or some other Euro nation that has all the infrastructure already built and moving people around between stadiums on their excellent public transport wouldn't be a problem and there wouldn't be the waste of building new stadiums or having people fly around different countries like in 2026. Unfortunately money talks so we'll never get anything like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement