Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is theft ever justified?

Options
  • 03-11-2022 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I had a college class last week and the topic of rising living costs came up. One guy talked about people he heard on the radio nicking food and wine/six packs from Tesco. A lot of people seemed to think it was okay to steal to feed yourself.

I do sympathise with people in that situation and I suppose I can't comment given I was born middle class, but it does seem wrong to steal. Food maybe but not alcohol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I think if there's something you want, but you'd rather not pay for it, it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you are unable to afford to feed yourself there are several sources of free food available.

Things like Cork Penny Dinners, Food Banks, St Vincent De Paul etc.

There is no need to resort to crime.

As for wine and six packs, stealing them is well out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ryan Tubridy, Joe Duffy and Ray D'arcy are stealing a living everyday...

I wont subsidise this thievery through payment of licence fee....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 54,748 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ah, wine and 6-packs. The cornerstone of every nutritious diet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes, nicking wine is justified to feed yourself. 🙄What crap.

They're just shoplifting scum that the rest of us have to pick up the tab for and pay over the odds to buy our own food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Brother Lukes give out a bag of groceries every Wednesday, it's been a while since there's been starvation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes there are plenty of options.

Even on a practical level stealing to feed yourself is a bad idea.

The average person gets hungry every 4 or 5 hours, that's a lot of robbing.

The chances are you will get caught sooner rather than later and end up with a criminal record.

Just the thing for a graduate looking to get employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,287 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

citing wine and a 6 pack to defend the argument seems ill-advised. it'd be interesting to see what the food was.

it is justified (IMO), if there is no alternative - as in there is no other way you can cover your nutritional needs.

does this happen in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I remember a strict local shop security guard was caught stealing from a shop across the road from where he was working. hilarious when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

if its from the brits then tis grand....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭bigroad

Not in this country.they have enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,748 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No. Nobody in Ireland goes hungry unless they’re in a seriously bad place. We have heaps a resources and people to ensure people can feed…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Never. It’s possible to make a tasty nutritious meal that would fill 2 adults/2 kids for around 6€. If you absolutely cannot then the St.Vincent De Paul for instance will bring groceries and electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

If you are going hungry yes of course it is. I would never condone stealing alcohol though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

YAWN

Btw, commercial advertising revenue from the shows presented by your examples are multiples of the cost of the relevant program

Not one cent of license fee is required.

The biggest net cost that license fee is used on is live sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Obviously stealing is ok if the alternative is starving. But that’s just not reality for anyone in Ireland, there are many many layers of supports before anyone would get to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There is a thought experiment that goes something like this, years since I hear it though so might not be exactly correct.

A man's wife is very sick, is it alright for him to steal to pay for the medication for his wife?

children of various ages were asked the question and the age and development of complex thought could be seen in the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yes better to rob some high value stuff and coast along for a while without stealing. Don't go for the low yield stuff unless things are absolutely dire.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Fat Tony: Bart, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?

Bart: No.

Fat Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?

Bart: Uh uh.

Fat Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread, they like cigarettes?

Bart: I guess that's okay.

Fat Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime, Bart?

Bart: Hell, no!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

After college I spent several years working in the insolvency side of an accounting practice and I learned two things, there are very few employees who don’t steal from their employers and the other thing is that there is always one good one who will be willing to act to put a stop to it.

Today like every day, employees will take an extra 10 minutes here and there in lunch breaks, tea breaks, bunking off early and they’ll justify it - sure it’s only 10 minutes. Except it is not 10 minutes, it’s more like two weeks a year and turns into many person years for companies! More will load up from the stationary press - pens, pencils, tipex and pads for the kids. They’ll justify it - sure it’s only a couple of pads. Expect it not a couple of pads, it’s a couple of thousand pads, very of the expensive headed pads. In fact it got so bad in one legal firm that the managing partner had to issue a memo begging people to please return one pad each!

And everyone of those people will tell you they are honest decency citizens who never committed a crime in their lives and we’ll all agree with them. So yes it would seem crime is easily justified in society.

The traveller actor chap said it was ok to demolish a Lidl for a slice pan if you’re hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dbas

That's a good point.

'Theft' but in a different guise. An extra long break is effectively theft from the employer. Exaggerated expenses claims are being submitted in every company every day I'd say. It's all theft.

Having said that, if all avenues outlined above were either exhausted or unavailable I'd steal food to feed my family.

If someone stole something from you, and you went and stole it back- is that stealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

And yet you let them live rent-free in your head...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

Is theft ever justified ? Well I'll quote a line from a certain well known song/ballad/anthem and make decide for yourself :

''You stole Trevelyan's corn So the young might see the morn Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay''

• Registered Users Posts: 14,394 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Never thought I'd get to the point of being bored on boards.ie because I've already seen the exact same thread on Ireland Reddit yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Did anyone ever hear how the bloke who robbed the corn got on ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When I want something, man

I don't wanna pay for it

Now I walk right through the door

And I walk right through the door

Hey, all right

If I get by

It's a-mine

Mine, all mine

Hey!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Only in your dreams. In the real world, they generate advertising revenue for their employers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I'd rapidly counter your question with a question. I tend to answer a question with a question to put them on the back foot. So my question is: is pussy in face action ever necessary, and is it considered a dominant position for the woman? These are the kind of considerations afoot in my mind, please give me your input bitch! Where you at.

Advertisement